is it possible to limit aperture value in P mode - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

is it possible to limit aperture value in P mode

• 2 Replies

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
is it possible to limit aperture value in P mode
« on: 06 / February / 2023, 03:31:21 »
Advertisements
Hi,
when using P mode the cam will change aperture as it sees fit.
if i make landscape images i don't want the aperture to drop under a certain point, but i would like it if it still could move to a smaller aperture(larger number) when the canon software calculates that because of lighting conditions.

it is easy enough to fix the aperture, but can the range be limited without mucking up the calculations canon makes in P mode?
or is the only way to forego the whole P setting and use rawopint or chdkptp to program it.
frustration is a key ingredient in progress

Re: is it possible to limit aperture value in P mode
« Reply #1 on: 06 / February / 2023, 11:15:41 »
it is easy enough to fix the aperture, but can the range be limited without mucking up the calculations canon makes in P mode?
or is the only way to forego the whole P setting and use rawopint or chdkptp to program it.
I can see several ways to use a script to take the first shot in P mode and then override the exposure settings for subsequent shots. But no way to tell the Canon firmware to not go below a minimum f-stop while doing everything else in P mode.

One thought that immediately comes to mind is to do your landscape shooting in A (aperture priority) mode?
Ported :   A1200    SD940   G10    Powershot N    G16

Offline Mlapse

• S95 S110
Re: is it possible to limit aperture value in P mode
« Reply #2 on: 06 / February / 2023, 13:46:58 »

One thought that immediately comes to mind is to do your landscape shooting in A (aperture priority) mode?

Yes, that is what i usually do, then again, when it is really light i would like a few stops more, in P mode that works automatically.
However, in P mode it also drops down to as wide open as possible when it's getting dark.

Thanks, it seemed a long shot, so i thought i'd better ask.
frustration is a key ingredient in progress