turn LCD image preview off and keep data onscreen in shooting mode - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

turn LCD image preview off and keep data onscreen in shooting mode

• 3 Replies
Advertisements
Sorry if this has been asked before, havent seen it anywhere. I have been playing with a Rebel Xis SDLR and it has by default an LCD that  shows nicely the relevant data (exposure, iso, histogram, etc) in live mode, this is because the viewfinder already shows image and the mirror is down and unable to show preview at the LCD unless you turn up the mirror with a special button press. I found very usefull this big LCD showing only data and NO image preview as it surely saves lots of battery and lets you focus on the numbers. Looking at the LCD at full daylight proves to be quite difficult and useless to me. You can  always use the viewfinder for a quick check of image position. I am using an A650 IS.
Can this be done in CHDK? Thank you

Offline Hacki

• EOS 80D
Re: turn LCD image preview off and keep data onscreen in shooting mode
« Reply #1 on: 04 / October / 2008, 10:31:14 »
So.. what exactly to you want? Turn off the live view on you A650, but keep the LCD on & the data displayed?

I dont quite see what purpose that would serve. Most of the energy is used by the LCD backlight, and furthermore, when you disable the live view, how should the camera determine the exposure values? How should if focus? DSLRs have dedicated sensors for light metering or focusing, P&S cams do that with their main sensor.

Disabling the image on the screen would save exactly no energy at all. pointless.

« Reply #2 on: 04 / October / 2008, 17:28:48 »
So.. what exactly to you want? Turn off the live view on you A650, but keep the LCD on & the data displayed?

---Exactly, as I said, on the Rebel Xsi. ---

I dont quite see what purpose that would serve. Most of the energy is used by the LCD backlight, and furthermore, when you disable the live view, how should the camera determine the exposure values? How should if focus? DSLRs have dedicated sensors for light metering or focusing, P&S cams do that with their main sensor.

--- Now this is a different matter, you mean that "after" and "with" the image posted to the live LCD it is metered and taken exposure and relevant data? I dont think so, I would say this is taken at sensor level, but then I am just guessing, I am not expert, in fact I know nothing about how this things work.
But how does it manage to keep the data after the LCD is switched off (I have it in 10 secs)? In fact you can have the LCD turned backwards against the body (closed) and the shot would be taken anyway.

Just to make myself sure, I went and took some shots "with" the LCD off, I was able to see and change aperture or other values and then focus and speed was adjusted by the camera (this went black, could not see the data), so, no need to have the image "in" the lcd to make calculations. the pictures looked perfectly good. -----

Disabling the image on the screen would save exactly no energy at all. pointless.

--- I dont care too much about energy, I think is good to concentrate on the data, and not the little LCD, you might be good at seeing it but to me at quite some years and wearing glasses it is practically impossible to see the imaged focused or not.

Thanxs for your answers, it is always good to do some brainstorming. ----
« Last Edit: 05 / October / 2008, 10:34:52 by alex2035 »

« Reply #3 on: 05 / October / 2008, 08:41:04 »
This is how the Rebel LCD looks at shot level, the background can be any 4 colors, and you can change the info as you like, this is the default.