Error: Missing Modules via STICK download - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Error: Missing Modules via STICK download

• 4 Replies
Error: Missing Modules via STICK download
« on: 12 / December / 2023, 07:12:18 »
Advertisements
About a week ago my SD card corrupted upon plugging it into a laptop I had. Went home and went to try and redownload CHDK via STICK, and got a missing modules error. I tried different builds, including  Reyalp's test build (though oddly enough, STICK also wouldn't recognize the zip file unless I forced it by disconnecting from my wifi).

After throwing everything at the wall, I encountered a 2 different threads saying the error was fixed by either reformatting the large partition into FAT32, or exFAT respectively. I ended up reformatting it as FAT32 and pasting the CHDK files in manually and it ended up solving my issue. Haven't tried exFAT though.

Anyone know why this happens?
It is interesting to note that before I used to be able to look into the large partition. Now windows won't let me open the large partition until I reformat it.

Offline reyalp

Re: Error: Missing Modules via STICK download
« Reply #1 on: 12 / December / 2023, 15:39:39 »
I ended up reformatting it as FAT32 and pasting the CHDK files in manually and it ended up solving my issue. Haven't tried exFAT though.
What camera and what size card?
Anyone know why this happens?
It is interesting to note that before I used to be able to look into the large partition. Now windows won't let me open the large partition until I reformat it.
The actual error is triggered if CHDK didn't find CHDK/MODULES/FSELECT.FLT on the SD card at startup.

It's common for various failures on multi-partition cards to cause this, because the CHDK directory with modules must be on the large partition while DISKBOOT.BIN must be on the small one. So this could happen if CHDK didn't recognize the large partition for some reason, or the files weren't installed there, or the CHDK multiparition code is broken or not implemented in the port.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #2 on: 15 / December / 2023, 08:13:09 »
Apologies, should have mentioned it at the start.
Camera is a Ixus130 / SD1400 IS
On a Sandisk 32GB SD card

It is multi-parition, though I'm just wondering as to why that error has been happening only now. Before STICK used to format the card correctly, it's strange.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #3 on: 15 / December / 2023, 21:38:39 »
Camera is a Ixus130 / SD1400 IS

On a Sandisk 32GB SD card
Don't see anything obvious with the port, it's a 2010 camera, so it does need multiparition for a 32 GB card, and the CHDK code to support it is there. Shouldn't be any reason to use exFAT on a card that size.

It is multi-parition, though I'm just wondering as to why that error has been happening only now. Before STICK used to format the card correctly, it's strange.
Yes, that's a bit odd. I guess an OS behavior change making stick misbehave might be possible? Are you using windows?

If you want to investigate further, you could try reformatting the card completely (in camera, or delete all the partitions and format the whole card from a PC) and starting from scratch with stick to see if behavior is reproducible. If it is, the first thing to check would be whether both partitions are accessible from a PC and which files are present on each.

Or you could just say it's working now and leave it at that ;)

Is the card the same one that was corrupted previously? If the card is actually failing, that could cause all kinds of issues which might appear to temporarily resolve by formatting. I recently had one in a raspberry pi where reading some files would return different data each time, although by chance no of the files required to boot the OS were affected so it mostly seemed fine.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #4 on: 17 / December / 2023, 00:08:04 »
Don't see anything obvious with the port, it's a 2010 camera, so it does need multiparition for a 32 GB card, and the CHDK code to support it is there. Shouldn't be any reason to use exFAT on a card that size.
Yeah, that's what I thought too. Though when I went through the install process I got errors saying that the trunk builds can't be downloaded from the website and that definitely didn't happen before.
Yes, that's a bit odd. I guess an OS behavior change making stick misbehave might be possible? Are you using windows?
Yes, Windows 10
If you want to investigate further, you could try reformatting the card completely (in camera, or delete all the partitions and format the whole card from a PC) and starting from scratch with stick to see if behavior is reproducible. If it is, the first thing to check would be whether both partitions are accessible from a PC and which files are present on each.

Or you could just say it's working now and leave it at that ;)
I am very tempted to just leave it at that though I have this itch to dig deeper haha. Before I got the card to work I can most definitely say it is reproducible though. I know I tried at least 5 times with the same error before I formatted it manually. If I remember correctly, the large partition was inaccessible but the small partition is, with all the CHDK files you would normally find.
Is the card the same one that was corrupted previously? If the card is actually failing, that could cause all kinds of issues which might appear to temporarily resolve by formatting. I recently had one in a raspberry pi where reading some files would return different data each time, although by chance no of the files required to boot the OS were affected so it mostly seemed fine.
It is the same card, but I really doubt it is failing since I bought it brand new less than a month ago. I'll just keep watch on it to see how it performs for now.