CHDK what? Help me, I'm a newbie! - page 5 - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

CHDK what? Help me, I'm a newbie!

• 83 Replies

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
Re: CHDK what? Help me, I'm a newbie!
« Reply #40 on: 15 / October / 2010, 11:29:42 »
Advertisements
[...do the new types of cards like 'extreme' work on cam's that haven't been certified for its use, maybe coz the cam was manufactured before this new card type was introduced ?
Before I tried the new cards in my SX20 I searched to see if anyone else had tested in the SX20, but I didn't find any postings, so I just took a chance and tested on my SX20 and found that they worked.

I've been VERY pleased with the faster cards because I shoot almost exclusively using DNG enabled - in many cases, the Canon JPGs can really be off even when using the other modes such as Manual. I find that the DNG results are almost always perfect. Although the cards are more expensive, the faster cards shortern the times between shots as well as save a lot of time later when transferring to PC.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #41 on: 15 / October / 2010, 12:48:24 »
I took a couple of images with 64 seconds & downloaded them to my computer but the properties, nevertheless, show a 15 sec exposure.  [Plz check the remark at the end. its very imp]
As I said before: Depends on the camera and which part of the meta data you are looking at. The canon "maker notes" are generally more reliable than the regular exif. You won't find this in windows file properties, but some imaging programs and exif tools will show it to you. Google is your friend.

I still can't understand why CHDK or the cam would not (by default) register the correct exif like the exposure ?!
Because CHDK is a hack. When you are twiddling the guts of a completely undocumented system, you don't always have the luxury of doing exactly what you want.

Aha. well its not just about the dark frame subtraction. I tried both on & off for the subtraction with no big saving time difference, up to what i recall.
If dark frame subtracton is enabled, the exposure will take exactly 2x as long as normal, with the camera displaying "busy" for the second half.

could you plz link me to appropriate resources ? or is the manual just fine ?
I suggest the scripting sections of the forum and wiki. It sounds like you want an intervalometer.

Very IMP Remark: When I took the 64 sec images of the night sky, I had this particular "blue" light on the upper right corner of every image i took. You can check it out here:
Looks like amp glow (google it). There is a reason canon doesn't offer 64 sec exposures. Dark frame subtraction should reduce this. Stray light (from LEDs on the camera etc) could also give this effect, but lots of amp glow is expected at 64 sec.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #42 on: 17 / October / 2010, 04:31:31 »
I have a Canon SX200 IS with 1.00D Firmware. And loaded "sx200is-100d-0.9.9-955-full".
But it says 100C in the pop up image at the startup.

Is this normal or is something wrong?

« Reply #43 on: 17 / October / 2010, 04:47:27 »
I have a Canon SX200 IS with 1.00D Firmware. And loaded "sx200is-100d-0.9.9-955-full".
But it says 100C in the pop up image at the startup.

Is this normal or is something wrong?

I got the answer to the showing 100C problem from here :  :)
Also these versions both use the same CHDK code, when you load 1.00d CHDK it reports as 1.00c.
This is because only 1.00c is coded and built but a copy is then renamed as 1.00d

But there are some issues with the CHDK which are,

1) Appearing green ghosting when the shutter is half pressed  :o**** Of which I m most concerned*****  :o

2) and zooming out all the way back automatically sometimes when shooting videos.

I m going to stop using the CHDK unless someone say it's normal for the current version of CHDK for SX200 IS or give a link to a more stable version.  :(

Thank you for your help.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #44 on: 17 / October / 2010, 05:19:00 »
xartzmax - this is your 3rd post for the same issue >:(

« Reply #45 on: 17 / October / 2010, 23:57:39 »
could you plz link me to appropriate resources ? or is the manual just fine ?

Very IMP Remark: When I took the 64 sec images of the night sky, I had this particular "blue" light on the upper right corner of every image i took. You can check it out here:

Is it related to vignetting  ?

A blue or pinkish glow in the image is common with different CCD and CMOS imagers when taking long exposures. You can remove those types of artifacts with image stacking and post-processed dark frame subtraction.

You may want to look into shooting a series of raw images (DNG) with CHDK and converting them on your desktop computer into either uncompressed FITS or TIFF files and then doing stacking and image processing to enhance the clarity and detail. If you have the time to learn the free astronomy software program IRIS, it does a good job processing astro-photographs.

Newer versions of Adobe Photoshop can also perform image stacking and alignment.

Also, If you aren't using an autoguider you are usually limited to about 30 seconds before the sky's rotation causes noticeable star trail streaks in astrophotos. If you are on a low budget, a home made barn door tracker can work. There are many pages like this one that discuss how to make simple autoguiders.

Just recalled: in a previous post i mentioned about reading about something that makes the cam work on its self after setting it to do so. The "something" I meant was the "Intervalometer": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intervalometer. CHDK is mentioned in the 2 lines under Photography.

thx

A simple script like this one will act as an intervalometer and continuously shoot photos. Just save it in a plain text file in your /CHDK/SCRIPTS folder and give it a name like RAPID.BAS

Code: [Select]
@title Rapid Photo v2
while 1
  press "shoot_full"
  release "shoot_full"
wend

end

Good Luck!
« Last Edit: 19 / October / 2010, 08:47:29 by andrewhazelden »
Canon SD780IS

« Reply #46 on: 20 / October / 2010, 17:55:05 »
OK, I am an absolute noob here so please go easy on me.

My main problem is not knowing how to partition my SDHC 8Gb card. I have seen numerous posts about it but they all seem to be determined to baffle one with technical terminology, or assume that the person doing the partitioning knows how to do it.

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

I am fairly intelligent but not too PC literate. I can pick things up fairly quickly once shown how a thing is done.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #47 on: 21 / October / 2010, 01:03:29 »
Hello & welcome, mickrj !

My main problem is not knowing how to partition my SDHC 8Gb card.
Partitioning is only needed when you want to start CHDK automatically on power-on or when your camera does not support the manual loading method (with the "Firmware Update" menu item from the Canon menu).

You can do the partitioning with the SDMInstaller tool for Windows, read more here:
* http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/quick.htm (SDM homepage)
* http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/download.htm (SDM downloads, the SDMInstaller is included in the "common_files.zip" archive)

If manual loading is supported you can also do the partitioning with CHDK on the camera:
* http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,2468.msg36022.html#msg36022

Since MS Windows only let you access the first partition, there are several ways to swap partitions:
* http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,2468.msg30911.html#msg30911
* http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,3910.msg36763.html#msg36763

Offline SkyWalker9

• SX20 IS (fw 1.02b)
« Reply #48 on: 21 / October / 2010, 20:41:42 »
I am running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit...Any help will be greatly appreciated.
I updated a tutorial that I created a while back on how to setup various sizes of SDHC cards and install CHDK. Most of the instructions were from the sources mentioned by fe50. The tutorial includes photos during the process to make it easier to understand. I uploaded the turorial (PDF) to a file sharing site (hotfile.com) in order for you to download. Just use the "Regular Download". Good luck!

http://hotfile.com/dl/77514584/643404c/Installing_CHDK_on_SD_Cards_using_Windows_OS.pdf.html

« Reply #49 on: 12 / January / 2011, 16:31:09 »
Please help!
Hello,

I want to be able to run a script from my computer and be able to read txt files in real time from my camera (or print straight to files on my PC). Basically, I need real-time communication between my camera and PC.

Is there a way to send information/commands through USB in real time? Can this be done using C/Matlab/etc?

Thank you!
SG