CHDK & RAW - a never ending story (Beginners read here please) - page 2 - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum

CHDK & RAW - a never ending story (Beginners read here please)

• 48 Replies
Re: CHDK & RAW - a never ending story (Beginners read here please)
« Reply #10 on: 23 / June / 2009, 16:52:45 »
Advertisements
(...)
Fact 2 - these RAW files unfortunately only have a 10 bit depth (much less than the average bit depth of DSLR RAW files (16 bit)) but they are still better than the compressed jpgs (bit-depth wise).
(...)
It's not a very important notice but, DSLR RAW are not really 16 bit (for the moment).
You can find 12 bit for most of them and 14 for in some models.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #11 on: 23 / June / 2009, 17:46:10 »
corrected, thanks.

« Reply #12 on: 03 / July / 2009, 15:42:06 »
Using the CHDK for the SX10 (1.00C) and have not been able to find any tools that can read the CRWs.  I've tried Picas3, DNG4P-2, the Canon RAW codecs, and nothing recognizes them.  Anyone found anything that works for the SX10?

Thanks

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #13 on: 03 / July / 2009, 16:19:07 »
Using the CHDK for the SX10 (1.00C) and have not been able to find any tools that can read the CRWs.  I've tried Picas3, DNG4P-2, the Canon RAW codecs, and nothing recognizes them.  Anyone found anything that works for the SX10?
Read this post: What software to convert Canon SX 10 raw files to DNG Files ?...

--> Enable DNG guidance: Forum link

If you have already RAW images laying around: DCRAW since version 8.94 can handle the SX10 RAW files, so you can convert the CRW's to the PPM format with DCRAW, most apps like PS, XNView etc. supports the PPM format.

You'll find compiled binaries (for MS Windows & Mac OS) here: Pukkita's Digital Darkroom Corner: Downloads

« Reply #14 on: 22 / August / 2009, 06:31:45 »
I have found today that PieStudio will open and allow printing of DNG and CHDK Raw format photos, I know that maybe direct printing is not very useful but at least it will open and display these images.

Stuart

Offline Anaglyphic

• Anaglyphic lives!
« Reply #15 on: 22 / August / 2009, 16:00:53 »
I have found today that PieStudio will open and allow printing of DNG and CHDK Raw format photos
Hi there.

If it can handle CHDK RAWs, then 1000 : 1 odds this is using Dave Coffin's dcraw, and this post amounts to nothing more than an advertisement. That, coupled with the OP being a vocal Open Source Initiative believer... <bang!> Obviously I'm a OSI evangelist too and I'm not picking on you personally, just putting it out here since it's a beginners thread that dcraw is both gratis and libre and there are many OSI-licensed frontends for it.

And not to make this just a rant on OSI: :D

Phyre, perhaps a mention regarding the extra second(s) associated for in-camera DNG developing, and why they might not want to turn on RAW Buffering, etc? Just a thought.
Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything,
 we ought to know a little about everything.
-- Blaise Pascal

« Reply #16 on: 22 / August / 2009, 18:19:39 »
I have found today that PieStudio will open and allow printing of DNG and CHDK Raw format photos
Hi there.

If it can handle CHDK RAWs, then 1000 : 1 odds this is using Dave Coffin's dcraw, and this post amounts to nothing more than an advertisement. That, coupled with the OP being a vocal Open Source Initiative believer... <bang!> Obviously I'm a OSI evangelist too and I'm not picking on you personally, just putting it out here since it's a beginners thread that dcraw is both gratis and libre and there are many OSI-licensed frontends for it.

And not to make this just a rant on OSI: :D

Phyre, perhaps a mention regarding the extra second(s) associated for in-camera DNG developing, and why they might not want to turn on RAW Buffering, etc? Just a thought.

Sorry but I dont understand your post, I'm new here and thought I was being helpful, I have no association with PieStudio other than being a user of the program (and have been for some years), I happened to try viewing my test file with it and it worked! I have no idea if the code you refer to is used or not. I did not realise that suggesting something like this would  be out of order and I apologise if suggesting commercial software is wrong. If a mod thinks my post is wrong please remove it and any references to it.

Stuart

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #17 on: 22 / August / 2009, 18:54:59 »
Sorry but I dont understand your post, I'm new here and thought I was being helpful, I have no association with PieStudio other than being a user of the program (and have been for some years), I happened to try viewing my test file with it and it worked!
Stuart, absolutely no problem ;)
Thx for reporting, so other users of this software now know that it support CHDK RAW images.

Offline Anaglyphic

• Anaglyphic lives!
« Reply #18 on: 22 / August / 2009, 19:16:29 »
No no, it's me. I apologize. Sometimes I post before my anti-depressants kick in. This is related to another issue on another forum and I was all worked up with no place to rant. Again, sorry.
Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything,
 we ought to know a little about everything.
-- Blaise Pascal

« Reply #19 on: 23 / August / 2009, 03:56:22 »
Sorry but I dont understand your post, I'm new here and thought I was being helpful, I have no association with PieStudio other than being a user of the program (and have been for some years), I happened to try viewing my test file with it and it worked!
Stuart, absolutely no problem ;)
Thx for reporting, so other users of this software now know that it support CHDK RAW images.

Thanks for that....

No no, it's me. I apologize. Sometimes I post before my anti-depressants kick in. This is related to another issue on another forum and I was all worked up with no place to rant. Again, sorry.

Apology accepted... I know we all can get like that sometimes......

Stuart