Digic ii/iii Powered - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Digic ii/iii Powered

• 2 Replies
Digic ii/iii Powered
« on: 29 / May / 2008, 19:57:26 »
Advertisements
How does one go about finding whether or not their camera is using a digic ii/iii processor, my camera is a kodak c603 easyshare .

Offline BB

Re: Digic ii/iii Powered
« Reply #1 on: 30 / May / 2008, 00:36:37 »
Short answer is, I don't know, but I doubt that you will find a Canon Digi chip in a competitor's camera--and even if it is, likely it would be called something else. You can read about the basic Digi history here:

DiG!C - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

From a couple news releases over the past 8 years, it appears that Kodak uses TI's DSP engines... for example:

2ms

The Kodak EasyShare Z650 zoom digital camera offers aspiring photographers exceptional performance and greater photographic control through its professional-quality Schneider Kreuznach Variogon 10X optical zoom lens and 6.1 MP resolution, helping capture detail from afar and flattering portraits. TI Digital Media Technology Powers Next-Generation Digital Cameras Texas Instruments digital media processors are helping companies like Kodak develop revolutionary product lines with multiple advanced features -- without compromising camera performance. Optimized for digital camera applications and leveraging a highly efficient, low-power TMS320C54x(TM) digital signal processor (DSP) core, an ARM(R) RISC processor, plus video and imaging coprocessors to improve performance, digital media processors enable camera manufacturers to expand the breadth of their portable imaging and multimedia products. For information regarding TIs digital media platforms, please visit DSC . For additional information regarding Kodak EasyShare products and services, please visit KODAK EASYSHARE System .

Inside Canon's Digic chip, there is, at least, an ARM core... So there are going to be overlaps in hardware (all crammed into one custom ASIC (application specific integrated circuit) between the different camera vendors.

Does that sort of answer your questions?

-Bill

Re: Digic ii/iii Powered
« Reply #2 on: 30 / May / 2008, 13:30:37 »
Hmm yes and no, I had read someone that cannon may have let other camera makes use the digic but I guess kodak wasn't one of them.  Arm is a very common used embedded processor and is even available in a form that allows it to be designed into a custom die, due to the fact that the digic processor is proprietary and highly specialized I highly doubt my camera would be able to use this neat custom firmware if it didn't have the digic processor. If someone knew of a way to get into the manufactures mode/diagnostic mode/ technicians mode of the camera (if such even exists) im sure the proc type would be displayed there.