Save RAW files in DNG format instead of RAW - page 35 - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

Save RAW files in DNG format instead of RAW

• 392 Replies

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
Re: dng_hdr.c cam_AsShotNeutral ewavr patch - why is it commented out?
« Reply #340 on: 06 / January / 2009, 17:01:56 »
Advertisements
I'm guessing most people who read the post didn't even understand what the post was about...  :-[

Currently camera WB settings are not stored in DNG file - if we choose in RAW converter WB setting "As shot", converter ignores it and uses "auto" WB.
With this patch (of course, if it works correctly) if we choose in RAW converter WB setting "As shot", converter can read camera WB setting from DNG (daylight/cloudy/.../any custom WB).

p.s. If we don't use "As shot" WB in RAW converter, this patch is not necessary.
« Last Edit: 06 / January / 2009, 17:05:11 by ewavr »

Offline reyalp

Re: Save RAW files in DNG format instead of RAW
« Reply #341 on: 06 / January / 2009, 21:59:41 »
I would advise against averaging or summing dngs directly, presuming by dng you mean files containing the camera sensor output in mosaic (eg RGBG) form. This is because that, unless the images are precisely aligned, this is liable to produce false color artefacts.
Huh ? The the operation is performed on the individual mosaic components, and the final output is in the same mosaic format as the input. There is no opportunity for the wrong components to be combined. If the images aren't aligned, that will affect the output, just like any other stacking process without correct registration.

Note that the purpose of CHDK raw average is basically noise reduction.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #342 on: 07 / January / 2009, 02:59:18 »
2. no interest from users/developers.

... I've got a great interest about this feature for my S5, that's why I've originally point out these DNG tags...  :)

« Reply #343 on: 07 / January / 2009, 06:59:02 »
Hehe, i thought this is already in the trunk. I'm also interested in this, and i'm sure there are more people :)

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #344 on: 07 / January / 2009, 10:20:00 »
yeah, noise reduction is the main advantage of in-chdk raw operation. the other raw operations are nice as well, of course.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #345 on: 07 / January / 2009, 10:49:44 »
just tested on s3is. works wonders. i really would like to uncomment your code in the trunk right now, but i guess others should test as well.

this is great, a lot of my dngs up to now looked a bit weird when i manually tuned the WB, but now they look the same as the jpgs (color temperature wise). it's a shame i didnt notice the code was already there.

as always, good work ewavr. and of course thanks to howdy for pointing this out :)

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #346 on: 07 / January / 2009, 12:36:56 »
just tested on s3is. works wonders. i really would like to uncomment your code in the trunk right now, but i guess others should test as well.

Yes, it's interesting about cameras with digic3 propset.
Maybe this thread can be merged with "save dng ..." thread?

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #347 on: 07 / January / 2009, 12:54:52 »
merged it. though it isnt in order anymore, the merge function is a bit weird.

btw: Exiv2 - Image metadata library and tools
olympus uses two temperature sensors and stores these temperatures in exif. maybe we can use these adresses?

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #348 on: 07 / January / 2009, 14:19:10 »
I tried ewavr's DNG WB code on trunk 665 running on my a570is 1.00e (digic III, propset 2, vxworks). I shot to DNG in various wb settings (auto, manual, daylight and bulb) in P and M modes and a couple of ISO modes and opened them in gimp 2.6.1-1ubuntu3.

Compared to JPEGs, the colors are not exactly the same but they are certainly very close. From this quick test I'd say it works quite perfectly!

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #349 on: 07 / January / 2009, 14:19:10 »
update: digic III propset just tested (thx PlasmaHH in irc channel) - seems to work as well. so i guess we can "unlock" it in the trunk :)

edit: added (uncommented :D) in trunk.
« Last Edit: 07 / January / 2009, 18:55:53 by PhyrePhoX »