Save RAW files in DNG format instead of RAW - page 38 - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum

Save RAW files in DNG format instead of RAW

• 392 Replies

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
Re: Save RAW files in DNG format instead of RAW
« Reply #370 on: 25 / June / 2009, 04:31:33 »
Advertisements
Ooh, the opcode based bad pixel patching looks like it could be useful.

The mapping stuff also looks interesting.

Yes, it seems that FixBadPixelsConstant opcode really works (no badpixel patching is required)  :).
But only ACR 5.4 and dng_validate.exe from DNG SDK can open such files correctly (without black points) :(.

edit: IMO we must wait until dcraw will understand the new tags in DNG.
« Last Edit: 25 / June / 2009, 04:58:02 by ewavr »

« Reply #371 on: 02 / July / 2009, 15:47:26 »
Dumb question...

I have been searching the forum and reading through this thread/topic and have never found an answer to the original question- is there any reason why I have to save BOTH CRW and DNG formats on the memory card?  I have an SX10 and I'm running a beta build of CHDK and discovered that in order to get DNG format I have to turn raw on (makes sense) but there's no way to save jpg + DNG without also saving the CRW file.  Is there some technical reason why I can't turn off the CRW storage when I want the DNG storage?

Thanks!

Offline reyalp

« Reply #372 on: 02 / July / 2009, 19:09:55 »
Dumb question...

I have been searching the forum and reading through this thread/topic and have never found an answer to the original question- is there any reason why I have to save BOTH CRW and DNG formats on the memory card?
It shouldn't, and doesn't on any of the CHDK cameras I've used. I don't even see any way this could happen in the code, since the write() of the image data only happens once. It is also platform independent, and hasn't been changed by the SX10 checkins.

Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #373 on: 19 / August / 2009, 00:36:49 »
Just wanted to say great job.  I did want to mention though that Corel Paint Shop Pro X2 supports both CRW and DNG formats.  I know that Photoshop does too but it seems that Corel can do the CHDK formats too.  DNG has the exif data though... ;)

« Reply #374 on: 20 / August / 2009, 23:24:29 »
Have this speed up been coded in the latest build?

Maybe it is possible make reverting bytes in RAW buffer in other task (parallel to RAW buffer saving/processing).
DNG saving time is decreased from 1.8-2 sec to 1.5-1.6 sec, but sometimes pixel artifacts are present on top or bottom image borders (with 1 pixel heigth , only on DNG images).
I will continue discover this possibility next week.

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #375 on: 22 / August / 2009, 04:46:49 »
Have this speed up been coded in the latest build?

No. Unfortunately, it was the wrong way.

« Reply #376 on: 22 / August / 2009, 17:52:51 »
So, DNG support now in trunk for all cameras, except:
 - g9 (DNG for g9?)
 - a590, ixus50(sd400), ixus75(sd750) - because DNG4PS2 don't support them
 - ixus40(sd300) - due to mismatch in RAW size between CHDK and DNG4PS2 (what RAW size is correct?)

Changes from previous beta: only cosmetic (language strings, error message "missing badpixel.bin").

P.S. My compilation time for all 71 supported firmware version now is 47 minutes (without signatures search, WinXP, Athlon 64X2 5400+)  :(.

Any chance that DNG support for G9 may still happen? (pleasepleaseplease)

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #377 on: 22 / August / 2009, 18:46:10 »
So, DNG support now in trunk for all cameras, except:
 - g9 (DNG for g9?)
 - a590, ixus50(sd400), ixus75(sd750) - because DNG4PS2 don't support them
 - ixus40(sd300) - due to mismatch in RAW size between CHDK and DNG4PS2 (what RAW size is correct?)
Any chance that DNG support for G9 may still happen? (pleasepleaseplease)

All these cameras has working DNG support - the quoted post is from CHDK stone age ;)

« Reply #378 on: 22 / August / 2009, 23:42:28 »
fe50:

Thanks for your reply. Can you point me in the right direction? The last post on the subject I could find was from january of this year, saying that the G9 still doesn't support the DNG funtionality. I've gone through all of the steps, create badpixel.bin and so forth, but the menu item doesn't show up on my G9, which is the other reason i suspected that support wasn't available.

I'd really LOVE for you to be right. . .

Thanks.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #379 on: 22 / August / 2009, 23:54:25 »
Actually, the G9 still doesn't have it. See include/camera.h

edit neither does ixusizoom_sd30. All others appear to have it.
« Last Edit: 22 / August / 2009, 23:58:33 by reyalp »
Don't forget what the H stands for.