Save RAW files in DNG format instead of RAW - page 2 - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum

Save RAW files in DNG format instead of RAW

• 392 Replies
Re: Save RAW files in DNG format instead of RAW
« Reply #10 on: 12 / April / 2008, 06:14:15 »
Advertisements
Even if it takes longer to store and takes extra space, I'd love to have DNG support on-camera. I'm tired of having to use dng4ps2 to convert my files before I can shove them into lightroom.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #11 on: 12 / April / 2008, 06:21:00 »
well there is the possibility to convert to dng "offline" - Offline RAW Compress (ZIP / DNG)
has to be coded first though :D

« Reply #12 on: 12 / April / 2008, 06:47:09 »
well there is the possibility to convert to dng "offline" - Offline RAW Compress (ZIP / DNG)
has to be coded first though :D

That's not as useful, as then you have to have the RAW and JPEG AND DNG all on your card simultaneously. Direct2DNG is a much better solution I think.

Offline vit40

« Reply #13 on: 12 / April / 2008, 07:21:16 »
Well, offline conversion routine could erase raw after conversion to DNG and leave JPG + DNG

But since SD cards are quite cheap right now, I don't hink it's worth the efforts of developers

I'm wondering, is there a procedure to convert raw to "real" cr2 somewhere in the firmware and only needs to be called

« Reply #14 on: 12 / April / 2008, 09:16:11 »
Deleted
« Last Edit: 22 / April / 2008, 17:35:44 by Barney Fife »
[acseven/admin commented out: please refrain from more direct offensive language to any user. FW complaints to me] I felt it imperative to withdraw my TOTAL participation. Nobody has my permission, nor the right, to reinstate MY posts. Make-do with my quoted text in others' replies only. Bye

« Reply #15 on: 14 / April / 2008, 16:35:11 »
May I hear one single reason why it's better to have files saved on the card in CRW (RAW) instead of DNG (possibly compressed)?

Think about it this way. Reasons why DNG would be better to be saved instead of CRW:
- less memory card usage (8.79mb - 4.06mb = 4.73mb, as in 46% space reduction to save compressed DNG instead of CRW)
- faster writes on slow cards (3-5mb/s, that's 5 minutes extra saved time for today's shots)
- JPG curves/EXIF integration (in-camera processing)
- JPG files optional (2.7mb for each shot)
- faster memory card download to your PC (3-5mb/s, that's another 5 minutes extra saved time for today's shots)
- less time wasted on your PC with additional software (another 5 minutes extra time saved...)
- less is more (15 minutes saved, 65% extra space for photos, extra coolness factor)

I guess everyone here shooting raw goes through the hassle of downloading CRW + JPG files in a folder, running dng4ps2 on that folder (btw crappy PC here), cleaning up and then actually touching the files for the first time. I'm being picky if I ask for in-camera DNG, but that would be awsome if it could be done. My only regret is leaving ASM/C++ coding 10 years ago...

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #16 on: 14 / April / 2008, 17:04:06 »
i never DID write ASM/C++ and still i'm writing code for CHDK - sorry that's not an excuse.
you want to hear a reason? it's fine you tell us all your advantages of dng, but you forget that a) the camera is not a PC and b) chdk devs are NOT a bunch of bill gates'.
sure, DNG conversion has to be coded, it MAY be faster to convert RAW into DNG (in memory) and write it on SD, faster than the HARDCODED original way, but i VERY much doubt it.
i am not the coding guru, if anyone wants to do it - fine.

« Reply #17 on: 14 / April / 2008, 18:03:10 »
i never DID write ASM/C++ and still i'm writing code for CHDK - sorry that's not an excuse.
you want to hear a reason? it's fine you tell us all your advantages of dng, but you forget that a) the camera is not a PC and b) chdk devs are NOT a bunch of bill gates'.
sure, DNG conversion has to be coded, it MAY be faster to convert RAW into DNG (in memory) and write it on SD, faster than the HARDCODED original way, but i VERY much doubt it.
i am not the coding guru, if anyone wants to do it - fine.

I'm seriously allocating more time in my life for photography, so I hope I'll be around the project more. First I need to get up to speed with everything that CHDK means, so I can't do what I ask others to do, or I would have done it already. I think it's a great improvement to implement and give a complete fully proffesional feel to simple 200$ consumer grade cameras able to perform semi-pro tasks.

BTW, your sig is awsome :D

And I don't even know what the SKD is based on. Do I need to install some linux, gcc and compile stuff?

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #18 on: 14 / April / 2008, 18:14:48 »
<offtopic>
for starters, there is Windows GUI for trunk building - all you need, including gcc & compile stuff :D next i would read For Developers - CHDK Wiki .
if you really did asm & c++ your learning curve shouldnt be that steep. have fun :)
</offtopic>

there is a thread somewhere (toinech?) is trying to apply some curves on the raw files before being written to sdcard, he maybe (or someone else during the process) able to find out a way to do conversion on the fly.

« Reply #19 on: 17 / April / 2008, 03:32:18 »
hi,

whatever is running linux or mac-os - it is still big endian (because the powerpc cpu is)

best wishes - image13