Karma / ADZ Smite Thread :) - Forum related topics (including issues) - CHDK Forum

Karma / ADZ Smite Thread :)

• 15 Replies

Offline adcz

• Canon S5 | Before Thou Smiteth Me, Readeth Sig
    • OSFlower
Karma / ADZ Smite Thread :)
« on: 01 / June / 2008, 09:58:46 »
Advertisements
no, there is no such option :)
Oh oh well...I will try searching for plugin

Hey...just wondering, is there an option in SMF to lookup how you got your karma. I mean it's nice to know that 1 person thinks I did something good, and one person thinks I did something bad, but it would be better to know what exactly I did good, or better yet, what exactly I did bad. :)
« Last Edit: 02 / June / 2008, 17:07:32 by adcz »
Email me at adz@jewc.org for questions/comments/etc or aim me at adzempire!
---
STOP!! Before thou smiteth me, please PM me the reason! . Criticism = bad, constructive criticism = good.

If you wanna applaud, no reason necessary, I know I'm wonderful :P

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: Karma
« Reply #1 on: 01 / June / 2008, 10:13:37 »
no, there is no such option :)

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
« Reply #2 on: 01 / June / 2008, 12:25:23 »
it would be better to know what exactly I did good, or better yet, what exactly I did bad.

Tip:
Don't go and edit your own post with other people's quote and your response to it. It is difficult to follow the thread's chronology (to understand what was the original question). Instead, quote people in a new message like this one. Quoting is useful to avoid confusion when you respond to a specific question/idea. (Sometimes you want to answer a question made several messages above).
You should edit posts if you made a mistake or when information you are giving is wrong or out of date. In other words, if it can cause confusion.

But I doubt this is the reason you've been smited. And because you are asking, I'll try to venture an explanation (I say venture coz I didn't smite you):
It seems like you are very exited about CHDK and have a lot of ideas.
Yesterday it was about improving "CardTricks" and whim, (the creator) acknowledge the initiative. Also you wanted to move CHDK to sourceforge. Those are BIG projects.
And today you want to create an IRC channel and other stuff. But what happened with the "CardTrhicks" thing?
I'm sure tomorrow you will have another idea but maybe, in the end, none of them will materialize.

If you want to contribute to CHDK this is my advice:
1.- Read, read and read.
2.- Look at the feature requests already compiled and select one: for devs: vacant jobs, must-have features, status & overview / for users: a poll
3.- Read, read and read.
4.- Come out with new ideas or better yet, a first draft, code, document, build, php page etc.
5.- Wait for feedback (maybe your idea is not that good after all).
You can skip step 2, but the rest of the steps remain.

There is a lot of work to do and we need enterprising people like you. Just try to contribute something simple/small and then do something bigger and so on.
If you come with a bunch of BIG ideas, people won't believe you and you will leave angry/disappointed having done none. (It has happened before).

I hope I was able to write this in a constructive way and remember this is just MHO.

Offline adcz

• OSFlower
« Reply #3 on: 01 / June / 2008, 12:38:13 »
Don't go and edit your own post with other people's quote and your response to it. It is difficult to follow the thread's chronology (to understand what was the original question). Instead, quote people in a new message like this one. Quoting is useful to avoid confusion when you respond to a specific question/idea. (Sometimes you want to answer a question made several messages above).
But Pyro-something (the dog mod) said not to double/triple post...

But I doubt this is the reason you've been smited. And because you are asking, I'll try to venture an explanation (I say venture coz I didn't smite you):

Also you wanted to move CHDK to sourceforge. Those are BIG projects.
umm...not necessarily. says nowhere in the rules it has to be big. and CHDK could be big...

And today you want to create an IRC channel and other stuff. But what happened with the "CardTrhicks" thing?
I'm sure tomorrow you will have another idea but maybe, in the end, none of them will materialize.
actually DataGhost register the chan, just nobody comes :P because they did not know bout it. and I didn't drop the CardTricks thing. I just need to figure out what whim's plan is so I can adjust to him :) My CardTricks plan is still my #1 priority

If you want to contribute to CHDK this is my advice:
1.- Read, read and read.
I try :P

2.- Look at the feature requests already compiled and select one: for devs: vacant jobs, must-have features, status & overview / for users: a poll
I did. Selected 12 actually. they all look so good. And all my ideas (i think) were not in there. well one maybe...but I explain it differently :)

3.- Read, read and read.
yup

4.- Come out with new ideas or better yet, a first draft, code, document, build, php page etc.
I will actually working on the "camera picker" right now. it is just not presentable yet. and I do post a lot of new ideas.

5.- Wait for feedback (maybe your idea is not that good after all).
I do :) I even turned on the feature to automatically email me when there is a new post to something I posted in :P

There is a lot of work to do and we need enterprising people like you. Just try to contribute something simple/small and then do something bigger and so on.
Well the CardTricks selector idea thing is kinda small...and moving to sourceforge, well that was just a suggestion, later found out some flaws, but that's not the point :)

If you come with a bunch of BIG ideas, people won't believe you and you will leave angry/disappointed having done none. (It has happened before).
Believe? umm...it is an idea...you can't really believe it...besides I am not going to be able to do a lot of it (as I said before I can only work on the web end). However if people wanna take my suggestions, that would be great!

I hope I was able to write this in a constructive way and remember this is just MHO.
Very constructive :) thanks!!! I will try to take your tips :)
---
STOP!! Before thou smiteth me, please PM me the reason! . Criticism = bad, constructive criticism = good.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #4 on: 01 / June / 2008, 13:56:49 »
I'm not a dog :)
Doublepost:2 posts in a row
Triplepost:3 posts in a row
It is not a nice way to behave,forum netiquette regarding.
A post can have several quotes,as you found out already :)
wontolla is right about everything :)

Offline adcz

• OSFlower
« Reply #5 on: 01 / June / 2008, 14:05:58 »
I'm not a dog :)
But isn't your little avatar a dog (Edit: Phox :P) w/earphones? OOoh and I just noticed, if you say your username, it is Firefox!

Doublepost:2 posts in a row
Triplepost:3 posts in a row
It is not a nice way to behave,forum netiquette regarding.
Ooh I see. Makes more sense :) But I don't remember making any double/triple posts (not intentionally anyway). I generally just reply to past posts....

A post can have several quotes,as you found out already :)
Yeah :D I love it, also you don't even have to type who said it just "
". This is much easier since now I can reply to specific things :)

wontolla is right about everything :)
Yup :)

Thanks for the input! Hopefully that will be my last - karma ever :)
Tell me if I am doing anything else wrong!
« Last Edit: 02 / June / 2008, 17:03:41 by adcz »
---

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
« Reply #6 on: 01 / June / 2008, 14:11:48 »
But Pyro-something (the dog mod) said not to double/triple post...
What he meant was you can answer to three different users in the same post by quoting each.
 :lol And is not a dog but a fox! Now this is a good example WHEN you should edit your post, we don't want Pyro-somethig to get mad, he has this German temper you know :haha (just kidding).

Edit: Too late, the great PhyrePhox is omnipresent.

Also you wanted to move CHDK to sourceforge. Those are BIG projects.
umm...not necessarily. says nowhere in the rules it has to be big. and CHDK could be big...
I mean, the desition to move the project to another host is big. If I understand correctly, developers would have to copy the entire svn from assembla. And AFAIK it's been working nice there. You know, if it ain't broken, don't fix it. As you said, developers are the ones to consider/discus this.

actually DataGhost register the chan, just nobody comes because they did not know bout it.
Yes, and it's good you mentioned coz now we know. It can be very helpful when working close with someone else, like tele-porting a new camera for example. At least in weekends because it's difficult to give/receive instant atention when at work/school.

and I didn't drop the CardTricks thing. I just need to figure out what whim's plan is so I can adjust to him. My CardTricks plan is still my #1 priority
I'm glad you plan to do this. Believe me, it's a big project, many people give up trying to install CHDK. Not in this forum full of computer enthusiasts but in others where people don't know what is a file format.

Believe? umm...it is an idea...you can't really believe it...besides I am not going to be able to do a lot of it (as I said before I can only work on the web end). However if people wanna take my suggestions, that would be great!
Yep, "believe" was the wrong word, forgive my poor English. Maybe it should be "catch up". What I mean is: A big idea has to be discussed, many days, people disagree etc. And if we get a new big idea every day, we will soon forget about the others.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #7 on: 01 / June / 2008, 18:13:42 »
wontolla, every time i'm reading your well-balanced posts i envy your calm and look to your avatar - suitable  8)

Offline intrnst

• A710IS + Morebest
« Reply #8 on: 01 / June / 2008, 19:29:07 »
Patience is a virtue.
-- funny english, be aware -- CHDK for Dummies - The Very First Steps

« Reply #9 on: 02 / June / 2008, 06:49:47 »
Quote from: wontolla
Now this is a good example WHEN you should edit your post, we don't want Pyro-somethig to get mad, he has this German temper you know :haha
:lol :lol :haha
Whoa-Hey! Careful where you point that thing. You're gonna shoot someone!

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/DoF_Stacking