Poll

Do YOU Think we should have an IRC Chat

Yes, A Helpdesk Chat In Plain View To Everyone
10 (50%)
Yes, But hidden somewhere...so that you gotta search before your find it
2 (10%)
Yes, but only for dev discussion
3 (15%)
No, well...I dunno...yes...Maybe...You decide!
4 (20%)
NO! NO! NO!
1 (5%)

Total Members Voted: 18

CHDK IRC Chat

• 12 Replies

Offline adcz

• Canon S5 | Before Thou Smiteth Me, Readeth Sig
    • OSFlower
CHDK IRC Chat
« on: 01 / June / 2008, 10:01:47 »
Advertisements
ok I think I got the hang of this multiple reply thing:

what do you expect of such chat? 24/7 support?
mmm...tis possible. basically everybody who likes CHDK (regulars) sticks around on the chan, and when there is question, they answer. lots and lots of OS scripts have a chat channel (24/7) w/ near instant (volunteer) support,

who should host the irc server?
Freenode... free for os scripts

who explains the newbies what IRC is? and how to use it?
nobody. they have a little java chat applet (Freenode Java applet IRC portal). they click link, type, they get answer. they don't need to know how it works...

and what do you mean by "no wait time in between questions". this forum here is one of the most active ones i know, there barely are questions that arent answered within the same day of being posted, or the same hour.
forum = within the same hour
chat = within the same minute :)
I personally find irc waaay faster :)
plus you don't have to keep looking at recent posts and you can join any discussion instantaneously.

What do you guys think? I would love to have an irc chat...it's free...not using our resources, and best of all no wait time in between questions. Plus it could all be logged (categorized too with the help of a script).
« Last Edit: 01 / June / 2008, 10:31:58 by adcz »
Email me at adz@jewc.org for questions/comments/etc or aim me at adzempire!
---
STOP!! Before thou smiteth me, please PM me the reason! . Criticism = bad, constructive criticism = good.

If you wanna applaud, no reason necessary, I know I'm wonderful :P

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: CHDK IRC Chat
« Reply #1 on: 01 / June / 2008, 10:12:05 »
what do you expect of such chat? 24/7 support? who should host the irc server? who explains the newbies what IRC is? and how to use it?
and what do you mean by "no wait time in between questions". this forum here is one of the most active ones i know, there barely are questions that arent answered within the same day of being posted, or the same hour.

Offline Jucifer

• [A710IS]
« Reply #2 on: 01 / June / 2008, 10:26:26 »
who should host the irc server?

freenode

Offline adcz

• OSFlower
« Reply #3 on: 01 / June / 2008, 11:11:40 »
Ooh looks like somebody beat me to the punch :) DataGhost seems to have founded the Chan (or at least he is op there, I believe chan is unregistered).

So come on everybody!! Come to the chat!! It'll be fun! All you do is enter a username and press connect!!!
Freenode Java applet IRC portal - Come Chat :)
« Last Edit: 01 / June / 2008, 11:15:28 by adcz »
---
STOP!! Before thou smiteth me, please PM me the reason! . Criticism = bad, constructive criticism = good.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #4 on: 01 / June / 2008, 17:09:57 »
i reconsidered, yes, it might be useful, having the irc. i wonder why DG didnt "advertise" it earlier.

Offline DataGhost

• EOS 40D, S5IS
    • DataGhost.com
« Reply #5 on: 01 / June / 2008, 19:32:48 »
Because I didn't know how many people would be interested and I basically just idled in there to see if there was any activity at all.

Anyway, I personally don't see any use for a helpdesk-channel, I thought of it more like something to share your findings and discuss with other people about CHDK, new discoveries or just random other things. IMO everything anyone needs to know can be found on the wiki or in the forums. If not, a forum topic is fast enough. I can't think of any reason to *need* an answer within 5 minutes.
Using an IRC channel as a helpdesk is something I see regularly and it's (IMO) not much fun. Some impatient idiot hops in, asks the most basic of questions you can come up with, interrupting a possible other conversation and starts swearing if he doesn't get an answer within a minute. At least, that's what I see happen lots of times. Advertising it as a helpdesk lowers the threshold and makes people prefer going into the IRC channel to have someone quote the FAQ, rather than reading it themselves. This especially when a java applet is provided for simplicity.
Also an annoying thing is being bothered by impatient people. Sometimes I'm highlighted (someone says my name and I hear a sound) to answer a specific simple question and that really pisses me off, because I just interrupted whatever important thing I was doing to help someone who's too lazy to read the manual. Same goes for private messages. Being a developer or other well-known person in a project automatically makes you very 'vulnerable' to people like that.

Ok, so that's the negative side of things. Of course there are also people with honest questions.. and who can also show that they did put some effort into fixing their problem but got stuck on something else, but in my experience these are the minority.

So, personally I'm against it as a helpdesk but I guess the vote of the majority is what counts. A helpdesk in a separate channel would work for me.

Offline adcz

• OSFlower
« Reply #6 on: 01 / June / 2008, 19:53:43 »
Yup, I suggested (in chat) that we make 3 chans:
1) #chdk_dev - For developers to discuss stuffs
2) #chdk_help - For people to ask stupid questions and for people like me to answer them :P
3) #chdk_general - For people to just...you know chill out :) talk about how much they love chdk :)

So, personally I'm against it as a helpdesk but I guess the vote of the majority is what counts. A helpdesk in a separate channel would work for me.
---

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #7 on: 02 / June / 2008, 00:55:11 »
I guess time will tell.if we put up a huge link to the irc channel,we of course pair it with the warning that we wont answer questions that could be answered by the faq,wiki or help guide.

Offline Jucifer

• [A710IS]
« Reply #8 on: 02 / June / 2008, 06:05:59 »
My thoughts are quite similar to DataGhost's. There is vast amount of information on Wikia and forum(s) already. (Though the Wikia pages could be improved a bit...)
Anyway, #chdk for dev/general chat. If need be, create a helpdesk.

« Reply #9 on: 02 / June / 2008, 06:57:03 »
I nominate adcz to babysit...er, I mean...*ahem*... monitor the chdk_help room.

-Now how do I find which firmware I have on my camera? :-[
Whoa-Hey! Careful where you point that thing. You're gonna shoot someone!

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/DoF_Stacking