Video bitrate/quality option for S5 - page 2 - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum

Video bitrate/quality option for S5

• 14 Replies
Re: Video bitrate/quality option for S5
« Reply #10 on: 06 / June / 2008, 08:17:52 »
Advertisements
For my s3is I had the same question so I tested. With non chdk I could see some artifacts in my videos (fullscreen on computer). Then using chdk with bitrate 2.5 (wich is highest I can use on s3is) the picture is much cleaner! I can hardly spot any artifacts in the details of the picture. But the setting eat SD card space when filming...
Also see http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_firmware_usage, search for 'bitrate'.
« Last Edit: 06 / June / 2008, 08:29:05 by fingalo »

« Reply #11 on: 06 / June / 2008, 13:22:47 »
Hehe same here :) (except I am clueless in C entirely). Does anybody know any good tutorials to learn C. CHDK is just one more reason for me to learn it :P I was thinking Java or C...guess I'm learning C this summer :)

I know only basic C programming in DOS... otherwise i would have done it myself by now.
Maybe i'll expand my C knowledge for that purpose, but it will surely take much time until i reach a level to develop a software for CHDK.

Since the S5 is TRULY a video-camera... (you can zoom while you shoot, AF AE are enabled during the record), and it even has it's on cam-cording button to let you shoot a movie anytime, everywhere, this is a must feature, not much less than the RAW shoot feature...
Haha yeah, that's why I love my S5. Speaking of editing features, it would be cool if you could cut stuff out in the middle of the videos  ;). Also...cropping fotos. Would be kool :)

Also another thing...it seems Canon caps a lot of its features (ex: shutter speed). Maybe...the S5 has the capabilities of writing 720p video...you never know :). I am pretty sure my card could handle it (Class 6). If not I can always buy a faster card. If 720p video is unlocked it would be kool tu (I rly gotta stop usin' abbrvs :D)

The S5 can't, and will not be able to write higher than 480 lines per video line.
This is hardware limitation due to the optical processing hardware.
It allows to scan only a portion of the lines of the full CCD frame (480 in our case) to be able to scan 30 frames per sec. If you want twice the speed (60FPS), then the amount of lines scanable decrease respectively (to 240 lines).

« Reply #12 on: 06 / June / 2008, 13:25:35 »
For my s3is I had the same question so I tested. With non chdk I could see some artifacts in my videos (fullscreen on computer). Then using chdk with bitrate 2.5 (wich is highest I can use on s3is) the picture is much cleaner! I can hardly spot any artifacts in the details of the picture. But the setting eat SD card space when filming...
Also see http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK_firmware_usage, search for 'bitrate'.

I'm starting to wish i had buyed S3 instead of my S5 (i had choice between the two with a price difference of only 25$), since it's so widely supported here, and, contains that super important feature. :(
I was playing with the bitrate setting with A550, and it surely helps.

« Reply #13 on: 06 / June / 2008, 14:03:00 »
It works on my TX-1, which takes 1280x720 video@30 fps, allows for zoom & shooting while filming, and here's the kicker...

I don't even use that video bitrate/quality menu!
Ha ha ha ha ha ha haaaaaaa!

Naw, I'm just kidding. I do, but I don't really understand what it's supposed to do, video compared to video. In other words, what's the quality setting for the camera not running chdk? I can raise mine to a point, and then the buffer gets filled too quickly. 96%, I think.
What should I notice about two videos, one without chdk, and one with the quality boosted?

Thanks.

I've been doing tests about the bitrate issue.
At normal, the camera records at 2MB/sec. This is good for most scenes, but in place with high dynamic range, for example - shaded people in the forest with blue sky in the background, gives mediocre to poor results.
Having the ability (using CHDSK ofcourse) to raise that bitrate to 6MB/sec, will allow the camera to record more detail each frame, thus increasing it's dynamic range for these difficult scenes.

And those who say that's a waste of disk space, i would say that even at 6MB/sec i have 40min recordable video on my 16GB SD card :)
Ofcourse, you'll have to use the solution here, posted in other thread, to load CHDK to a card larger than 4GB:
Autoboot with 8GB and HDHacker Possibillity

Offline wap4

• A720IS
« Reply #14 on: 11 / June / 2008, 02:40:53 »
Since many people are interested, I've made progress (firmware 1.01b) upto this (see attachments)
But the gcc compiler doesn't understand BLX, MOVL ,MOVLEQ etc. so I cannot proceed further.

Also modify the 'makefile', I've not posted it.(max #attachments=4)

N.B. There may be further compiling error, as I got tired of doing the boring task. It may not even work.
(since the xref tree may be still incomplete)
« Last Edit: 12 / June / 2008, 11:22:01 by wap4 »