Can I switch to the other partition from a script - Script Writing - CHDK Forum

Can I switch to the other partition from a script

• 8 Replies
Can I switch to the other partition from a script
« on: 30 / May / 2008, 04:02:09 »
Advertisements
Hello,

The title is clear enough.

Rational - I would like to create a very small partition for auto-loading CHDK then switch automatically to a larger partition holding the rest of the SDHC card..

Yoel

Offline DataGhost

• EOS 40D, S5IS
    • DataGhost.com
Re: Can I switch to the other partition from a script
« Reply #1 on: 30 / May / 2008, 04:46:19 »
I don't know what camera you have, but some models (I don't think all models have it yet) automatically switch to the large partition (at boot-time) if it is FAT32. All you need to do is create a small FAT12/FAT16 bootable partition with CHDK on it and a large FAT32 partition for pictures, CHDK will handle the rest.

« Reply #2 on: 30 / May / 2008, 05:44:00 »
I see your code for FAT32 autodetection in some cameras. Unfortunately, it seems my TX1 is not one of those (yet?).

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #3 on: 30 / May / 2008, 06:11:08 »
Unfortunately, it seems my TX1 is not one of those (yet?).

TX1 is one of those since May 23 -> http://grandag.nm.ru/hdk/autobuild/download.htm

« Reply #4 on: 30 / May / 2008, 07:07:27 »
It works!

Thank.

« Reply #5 on: 30 / May / 2008, 08:35:15 »
Is the A720 one that works? Does this mean I could be using my 4GB card?

Offline BB

« Reply #6 on: 30 / May / 2008, 09:46:28 »
Regarding the 4GB cards, on a Windows PC, you can format those as FAT16--and even though it is a non-standard format (larger than normal cluster size), it works fine with my old XP system:

format z: /fs:fat

Whole card capacity is now usable.

-Bill

« Reply #7 on: 04 / June / 2008, 14:44:04 »
I am going to buy a larger SD for A650. Is 4G the maximum capacity that can work with CHDK?

« Reply #8 on: 04 / June / 2008, 16:56:36 »
@oversky:

I am presently using 8GB cards. It's not a function of the capacity, rather of the convenience and necessity. Unless you are planning on shooting long videos, a 4GB card formatted FAT 16 will permit auto-booting and no need for partitions.

So far, I must switch partitions when I want to take the pictures off the card and then manually reload the firmware update to again switch partitions so CHDK will autoboot at turn on. I'm shooting 720P 16x9 HD stereo videos, so I need the larger Class 6 cards.

If all you plan to shoot is stills, a 4GB card will last for an awful lot of shooting...!! :D
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><<