• 11 Replies

Offline adcz

• Canon S5 | Before Thou Smiteth Me, Readeth Sig
    • OSFlower
Where do YOU buy your camera equipment?
« on: 12 / June / 2008, 19:19:15 »
Advertisements
Hey guys,
Just thought this might be a fun/informative thread..Where do you guys buy your cameras/equipment. Here's my list:

* Cameras - Amazon/Newegg (Canon S5 = $270, Kodak Z760 (my old one) was $179
* Memory Cards - Amazon/Newegg. Prices falling like CRAZY (2GB = $7, 4GB = $14, 8GB = $28) - heh guess they go by the gig :P
* Tripods - RadioShack (Some cheap tripod = $10)

You can post any equipment!!! Any cool deals :)
Email me at adz@jewc.org for questions/comments/etc or aim me at adzempire!
---
STOP!! Before thou smiteth me, please PM me the reason! . Criticism = bad, constructive criticism = good.

If you wanna applaud, no reason necessary, I know I'm wonderful :P

Re: Where do YOU buy your camera equipment?
« Reply #1 on: 17 / July / 2008, 13:27:09 »
works on Ixus 80 IS (SD 1100)

Offline RaduP

« Reply #2 on: 17 / July / 2008, 14:59:14 »
If I want to buy a new camera, I usually look on ebay too.

Offline ihulvey

• SX100 IS 1.00B :(
    • apache 2.2.x personal site
« Reply #3 on: 17 / July / 2008, 19:31:37 »
I got my SX100 IS off amazon, had a price I couldn't beat anywhere else. I'm looking at getting a tripod... probably a small, pocket-sized one for using while in the car (perfect for taking lightning photos).
-i

Offline true

• SX230, SX260, 5DmkII, and more :)
« Reply #4 on: 17 / July / 2008, 20:24:02 »
I usually avoid eBay anymore for camera gear, with all the shady sellers and misadvertised parts, unless it's high dollar and obviously posted by a personal seller and not a business. (These people are usually middle class to rich, take care of the gear, and are honest and won't rip you off.) I've been ripped off at least three times on eBay, just with camera gear - once, getting a "new" camera, fresh with three blazingly hot pixels, that turned out to be a pawn, and receiving a broken camera and not being able to do anything about it - old camera, not under warranty. My 50mm f/1.8 EF that I got from eBay has had a focus switch problem since day one.

Back when 300Ds were going for something like $650 on eBay (~4-4.5 years ago?), I landed a deal on mine - $425, with three batteries and a 512mb CF card. It looked just about brand new when I got it and I still use it as a backup body to this day.

Also got a good eBay deal on a Manfrotto tripod, ball head and pan tilt head in one auction... something like $90 shipped (even used, the gear I got usually goes for at least $150-200). It seems the amount of deals equals the amount of disappointment...

I recently got my A720IS, a Canon refurb as sold by Adorama, but as described in another post, the IS unit was malfunctioning right out of the box. I am waiting for repair / replacement.

With cameras, I've had the best luck buying new, from places with good reputations. I've only bought two high dollar refurbs, and both have been excellent. Low dollar refurbs have been hit or miss. I got my 40D brand new from Beach Camera, and my 24-105 f/4L IS refurbished from Adorama. Both have been absolutely excellent so far.

Now, as for my favorite? Whichever one is honest, and gives me a good deal. In other words, it doesn't exist :'(
Canon P&S: 110HS, SX260HS, SX230HS, 2x A720 IS, 2x A590 IS
Canon DSLR: 5D Mark II, 300D IR-converted, 8x glass
MFT: DMC-GF1, DMC-G3, 7x glass

Offline RaduP

« Reply #5 on: 17 / July / 2008, 20:42:32 »
Well, you can always check the buyer's reputation. And I usually buy refurbished stuff anyway, they are considerably cheaper and I don't care about cosmetic damage.

« Reply #6 on: 17 / July / 2008, 21:50:57 »
B&H is my vendor of choice. Always the most reasonable prices, never grey market or missing accessories, and an unbeatable return policy.

I've also learned that, for me, buying new gear is the best choice because the original manufacturers' warranties cannot be beaten if you ever need repairs. Most used gear, while cheaper initially, ends up being more expensive when repairs are needed. :o
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><<

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #7 on: 18 / July / 2008, 02:41:44 »
Well, you can always check the buyer's reputation. And I usually buy refurbished stuff anyway, they are considerably cheaper and I don't care about cosmetic damage.

refurbished stuff often even has warranty, plus their Quality Assurance is way better than the original manufacturer's one (meaning things you get refurbished are often tested better). refurbished ftw :)

Offline true

• SX230, SX260, 5DmkII, and more :)
« Reply #8 on: 19 / July / 2008, 16:25:37 »

I do check buyer's reputation. Thing is, with idiots buying gear that looks cosmetically OK, you have no idea if the gear you receive is under warranty (even if it is stated so), is actually new if advertised as new, or is actually refurbished and not just a pawn shop receipt if sold as refurbished. Not to mention the NY sellers that will hassle after the sale, and the fact that any friends who have bought "used" on eBay from companies have received essentially defective cameras... This is why, as I stated before, I will only buy from private sellers selling higher dollar gear.

eBay is getting worse. I don't do business with anyone there much anymore, as both buyer and seller get ripped off by the eBay/PayPal combo (even if someone accepts a non-PayPal payment, who in the hell uses that?), and I can't trust not getting ripped off on high dollar goods. I buy $3-5 camera accessories there, that's it.

Oh, and PhyrePhoX - this is true for Canon refurbs (although, fwiw, Canon refurb of lower-dollar gear hasn't been as good in my experience as refurb high-dollar gear). Just because it is marked as refurbished though, doesn't mean it was manufacturer refurbished. And on eBay - they'll say it's manufacturer refurbished after finding it thrown away in a trash can.

Ah well...
Canon P&S: 110HS, SX260HS, SX230HS, 2x A720 IS, 2x A590 IS
Canon DSLR: 5D Mark II, 300D IR-converted, 8x glass
MFT: DMC-GF1, DMC-G3, 7x glass

« Reply #9 on: 26 / July / 2008, 23:44:42 »
got my new sx100 at like 210$ on ebay