Looking to purchase a CHDK ready camera??? - page 2 - General Chat - CHDK Forum

Looking to purchase a CHDK ready camera???

• 12 Replies

Offline RaduP

Re: Looking to purchase a CHDK ready camera???
« Reply #10 on: 26 / June / 2008, 21:52:34 »
Advertisements
That's true, but you can always downsize the pictures to 8mp (on the computer) and you get rid of some of the noise. So besides for requiring a bigger memory card, I think it's a good thing (although I would like some company to make a camera with a big sensor and maybe 5MP or so).

« Reply #11 on: 26 / June / 2008, 23:12:46 »
That's true, but you can always downsize the pictures to 8mp (on the computer) and you get rid of some of the noise. So besides for requiring a bigger memory card, I think it's a good thing (although I would like some company to make a camera with a big sensor and maybe 5MP or so).

I have tried downsizing (on my A720) on the camera, but couldn't see any benefit.  On the computer I can smooth first then downsize.  This seems to help. 

I haven't tried this, but on the camera you can smooth and downsize by developing raw with the camera set to smaller image size and ISO 800.  ISO 800 does a fair amount of smoothing during development.

Jon

Offline RaduP

« Reply #12 on: 27 / June / 2008, 03:41:05 »
What I meant was to do it on the computer, not in the camera.
Basically, shoot in raw, then downsize in Photoshop or Gimp or whatever (don't apply any denoising in the raw processing).
Another option is to use jpg but set the sharpness as soft, so that the camera won't sharpen the noise.