Mosaic stitching - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

Mosaic stitching

• 5 Replies

Offline a710is

• A710 IS
Mosaic stitching
« on: 15 / June / 2008, 17:49:35 »
Advertisements
I saw this
Samples: HDR Mosaic - CHDK Wiki
but I still don't know, how do you line up the several "rows" obtained thru the normal Canon stitch function?
I mean you can obtain a horizontal row by default, but here I assume there are 2.
how does CHDK help in lining up stitched images in a mosaic? can it allow new reference points?
maybe we can start a discussion about this and make huge resolution panoramas easy.
could it ever be possible to even have the camera do the stitches automatically in-cam?

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: Mosaic stitching
« Reply #1 on: 15 / June / 2008, 18:28:47 »
Wow, this HDR Panorama is absolutely great !

As described there a panoramic tripod head was used to do this, and a lot of very professional work...i found some interesting informations for building cheap panorama tripod heads here...

I create "normal" panoramas (free hand), sometimes the CHDK grid can be helpfull. I get best results with panotools & Hugin ...
I also tried to use the "edge overlay" from hiker_jon, but until now this feature is very unstable on my cam...

could it ever be possible to even have the camera do the stitches automatically in-cam?
The stiching process need lots of processor power (for 6 x 5MP ~ 10-15 minutes on my A64-3400 CPU) , the cameras cpu can't do this, also the automatic stitching isn't perfect - i almost have to arrange many points hy hand.

A discussion about panoramas with CHDK support sounds good for me, there are many things possible with CHDK enhanced Canons.

« Reply #2 on: 15 / June / 2008, 18:42:46 »
It could be helpful to have CHDK to assist at creating panoramas.

I use autostitch (free) or autopano PRO, both of which give the *best* results when doing this kind of creation. Autostitch is something of a tool, for such a tiny piece of software.

AutoStitch

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
« Reply #3 on: 15 / June / 2008, 19:18:37 »
I mean you can obtain a horizontal row by default, but here I assume there are 2

Something like this?

I just noticed the A720 doesn't have this "square" configuration (as the S3), so maybe it can be implemented in CHDK.

Offline a710is

• A710 IS
« Reply #4 on: 16 / June / 2008, 02:10:39 »
there you go. the S3 seems to have it, while others don't. so indeed, maybe this could be made available to other cams and if 2 are possible as opposed to 1, maybe CHDK could even tweak it to allow even more rows :)

« Reply #5 on: 16 / June / 2008, 17:21:43 »
there you go. the S3 seems to have it, while others don't. so indeed, maybe this could be made available to other cams and if 2 are possible as opposed to 1, maybe CHDK could even tweak it to allow even more rows :)

Yeah, that'd be nice.