Is delay=2*exposure normal? - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Is delay=2*exposure normal?

• 4 Replies
Is delay=2*exposure normal?
« on: 21 / June / 2008, 07:18:29 »
Advertisements
Hi all!

Probably a dumb question, but I'm a newbie and the search seems to be out of order, so please be gentle.

I have a Canon A650, and have tried AllBest builds 50 and 51. With both of these builds, when I take a picture in Tv/M mode, there is an added delay equivalent to the exposure time when the camera only says "Busy." (For example, when I use a 10 second exposure, I wait 10 seconds while the picture gets taken (display is blank), but then I need to wait for ANOTHER 10 secs while the screen only says "Busy.") This doesn't happen without CHDK, so it must be related... My question is, is this added delay what you would call "normal", that is, a necessary consequence of using CHDK, or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for your time,
-temp

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: Is delay=2*exposure normal?
« Reply #1 on: 21 / June / 2008, 07:36:48 »
Hello & welcome temp,

not a dumb question...

I think this delay is the Dark-frame-subtraction (for noise reduction on exposures > 1s), you can handle it in the CHDK "Raw parameters menu", it is NOT only for RAW, it's also for JPEG.

Have a look to the description in the Wikia: CHDK_firmware_usage#RAW_parameters_menu

« Reply #2 on: 21 / June / 2008, 08:39:19 »
Hi all!

Probably a dumb question, but I'm a newbie and the search seems to be out of order, so please be gentle.

Hi, questions aren't usually dumb, especially if made in the right place (this is the case).

Search is out of order? how's that?

« Reply #3 on: 21 / June / 2008, 09:34:28 »
I think this delay is the Dark-frame-subtraction (for noise reduction on exposures > 1s), you can handle it in the CHDK "Raw parameters menu", it is NOT only for RAW, it's also for JPEG.

Hi! Yes, that was it =) Thank you very much, and of course big thanks to ALL people who have contributed in the development of this great piece of software!

Edit: First thought that the extra delay might be some kind of hardware limitation that had to be accepted in order to get all that flexibility, but I guess in case of CHDK one should "never attribute to malfunction things which can be explained by something fancy", heh =)
« Last Edit: 21 / June / 2008, 09:55:57 by temp »

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
« Reply #4 on: 21 / June / 2008, 12:26:38 »
That delay is cause by the canon firmware itself. CHDK is only able to turn NR off, but that ends with far more noise. :o