Getting good shots with superfast shutter speed? - General Discussion and Assistance - CHDK Forum  

Getting good shots with superfast shutter speed?

• 1 Replies
Getting good shots with superfast shutter speed?
« on: 25 / June / 2008, 00:21:23 »
Advertisements
I've been screwing around with the extra fast shutter speed but have not been able to get reasonably exposed results.  Without the flash the shot is way too dark but with the flash the shot is completely washed out.  I've been sticking my hand in front of the flash and can sometimes get decent shots but it's pretty hit and miss.  Any suggestions?  I've also been playing around with the aperture settings but that doesn't seem to help very much.

Re: Getting good shots with superfast shutter speed?
« Reply #1 on: 25 / June / 2008, 04:22:54 »
Hi,  without flash,  if the result is too dark,  it may seem obvious,  but there is not enough light falling on the sensor.  So effectively,  for your very fast shutter speed selected,  you're amera is not capable of selecting an appropreate aperture.

Few things you an try.  Improve the lighting. Make the sensor more sensitive to light (increase the ISO) or gradually increase the shutter speed at the widest aperture until you find the fastest you can use for your camera & ISO setting.

I've found,  like you, that the flash can sync at increadably high speeds with CHDK.  If the result is washed out,  the flash is too powerful & direct at the subject.  Depending on your camera, you may be able to decrease th flash power.  try diffusing by putting some white paper over the flash head,  or best of all if you can,  don't point it direct at the subject.  Bounce the light off a reflector  (white card?)  onto your subject.  mostly experementation & patience will get you good results.   best of luck, let us know your results
G9, Ixus75