S5IS firmware version difference - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

S5IS firmware version difference

• 2 Replies
S5IS firmware version difference
« on: 01 / July / 2008, 23:17:25 »
Advertisements
I'm getting a firmware version that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere for the Canon S5.

I powered on in play mode, pressed and held set, then pressed disp. The firmware version reads 1.0.0.0, not 1.01a or 1.01b.  The exact display on the camera reads:
Firmware Ver. 1.0.1.0
So my question is, now what? Am I missing something?    ???

Any helpful comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Offline BB

Re: S5IS firmware version difference
« Reply #1 on: 02 / July / 2008, 01:16:13 »
Generally, that firmware version is not "real"... You have probably done something wrong when naming/creating the VER.REQ file (some people make a mistake and type "G" for "Q"... like "g" vs "q". Try following these instructions and see if this helps:

FAQ - CHDK Wiki

And, lastly, there are only two known versions of the S5is firmware--you can try one, then the other and see which works.

There are no known issues with using the "wrong" version of CHDK -- other than you will need to pull the batteries out to reboot the camera.

Note, you will need to use the "Bootable" method of loading firmware using the "DISKBOOT.BIN" file. The "Firmware Update" method does not work with the S5IS and you will not find a PS.FIR file ("Dry OS" operating system from Canon).

Hope this helps.
-Bill

Re: S5IS firmware version difference
« Reply #2 on: 02 / July / 2008, 06:17:41 »
Boy, do I feel stupid.  :-[
I was on the FAQ page shortly before I made my post, and if I had only read a little further, I would've noticed the part about creating the ver.req file on the card. It was late and I was in a bit of a hurry. At any rate, I appreciate your assistance. Thanks.