dump the JPEGS - RAW Shooting and Processing - CHDK Forum

dump the JPEGS

• 6 Replies
dump the JPEGS
« on: 02 / July / 2008, 07:41:21 »
Advertisements
Hi there,

I am relatively new to CHDK. I just got a A 720 IS and experimented  with it for a few weeks.
Until now I always kept all the JPEGS and the DNG files and imported them to Lightroom.

Out of the box the JPEGs are, off course, much better. The information about the whitebalance is lost
and depending on the "Picture style" you chose the jpeg image just pops in comparison.
But every raw image that I tuned manually ended up still much better.

So now I decided:      I only need the DNGs

If I know I don't want to tune an image I just don't shoot raw.
And these images that I do shoot raw are worth the effort to tune them manually.

I just have to delete the cr2 files on the card together with their jpeg companions after convesion.
The remaining jpegs are automatically copied to the folder that was crated by dng4ps.
I import everything to Lightroom. I tag the dng images and tune them.
And that's it.

Martin

Re: dump the JPEGS
« Reply #1 on: 02 / July / 2008, 16:50:27 »
Sometimes when I'm shooting RAW and I don't need/want the JPG, ill turn down the camera's resolution and turn up the jpg compression.  That way I can usually squeeze in about 25 more RAW shoots on a 2gb card, and it doesn't effect the RAW save (correct me if Im wrong here).

I usually like to keep the jpgs too though, because cannon does a pretty good job with them, and hard drive space is cheap.  Don't forget to get the EXIF data from the jpgs before you delete them, since the raw files does not store them. 
« Last Edit: 02 / July / 2008, 16:54:00 by cryptomega »

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #2 on: 02 / July / 2008, 17:13:01 »
you are right about the raw size, it's always the same no matter what jpg settings you use.

« Reply #3 on: 03 / July / 2008, 09:32:46 »
I also thought about turning down the JPEG size. But when I switch the raw mode on and off I
always have to adjust the image size if I don't want to end up with some unusable VGA JPEGs .
As you said the number of raws to fit on a 2 gig card doesn't increase that much, too.
I prefer to increase the number of images per card by shooting in Jpeg only. When I can tell that
there won't be any clipping of sky highlights because it is a sunny day I can just let the camera do the
work.

Offline LjL

• A720IS
« Reply #4 on: 03 / July / 2008, 09:44:57 »
Well, I guess you could write a script to switch to RAW mode and back while also changing the JPEG size/quality.

More cumbersome, perhaps, than using the standard shortcut to switch to/from RAW... although changing that should be relatively easy in the CHDK code (am I the only one thinking that the CHDK shortcuts are too "fixed", by the way?)

Offline Jucifer

• [A710IS]
« Reply #5 on: 03 / July / 2008, 10:01:32 »
Hmm. An option to set desired jpeg size on raw enable/disable (and cam startup) should be easy enough to implement.

Fortunately CHDK is open source, so anyone can modify the keyboard shortcuts. ;)
(Also I've been thinking about making the shortcuts user-definable to some extent.)

Offline kgr

« Reply #6 on: 08 / July / 2008, 12:16:40 »
I, for one, find some of the shortcuts extremely awkward. Some way of selecting less cramping button combination's would be great. As a non-programmer I can only suggest.
Thanks