Flash + Shutter Speed - S3is - Script Writing - CHDK Forum

Flash + Shutter Speed - S3is

• 5 Replies
Flash + Shutter Speed - S3is
« on: 05 / July / 2008, 16:42:35 »
Advertisements
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but here is my question:

I want my camera to have a fast shutter speed whenever the flash is up.

Currently, at night, my s3is is sometimes very slow to take a picture when the flash is up or down, i am guessing that the cam is trying to find focus or something so i wonder if there is a way to make the camera have a fast shutter speed whenever the flash is up and go back to normal whenever the flash gets put down.

Thanks

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: Flash + Shutter Speed - S3is
« Reply #1 on: 05 / July / 2008, 16:59:04 »
i'm sure i understood your question correctly.

Currently, at night, my s3is is sometimes very slow to take a picture when the flash is up or down, i am guessing that the cam is trying to find focus or something so i wonder if there is a way to make the camera have a fast shutter speed whenever the flash is up and go back to normal whenever the flash gets put down.
in the beginning of the sentence you talk about the actual time it takes for the camera to "begin shooting". in the 2nd part you talk about the shutter time. you mean the default behaviour that the camera switches to 1/60 second when flash is enabled, right? this can be overriden when you set a fast speed in the override menu.
we COULD implement a switch so that these overrides are only in effect together with the flash enabled, however this isnt planned yet.

« Reply #2 on: 05 / July / 2008, 18:51:12 »
so the camera automatically changes the shutter speed when the flash is up?

if so, is there a way to make the camera not "worry" about trying to focus and everything before the flash , just take a picture, (usually the camera can't see anything anyway, the LCD is dark,  the flash is the only light source)   

oh and great work with this "hack", it really helps make my (amateur) pictures alot better, i was just messing around with the shutter speed last night and the first question came up (sparklers + slow shutter speed = great pictures )

« Last Edit: 05 / July / 2008, 18:53:00 by tenio »

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #3 on: 05 / July / 2008, 19:41:32 »
well yes, the camera automatically sets the speed to 1/60 when you enable flash. in some modes (p & av for example) you can enable "slow sync flash", a neat technique if you know how to use it (google!), the camera decides the speed on it's own though, useful in low light situations (the camera fires two flashes in this mode).for situations you want to decide the shutterspeed you have to use the chdk override.
why would you like your camera not to worry about focus etc? imo you can do that via a script, in script you have commands to shoot regardless of focus etc. but then maybe the flash isnt triggered because it isnt fully charged but the camera shoots regardless of flash charging state...

« Reply #4 on: 05 / July / 2008, 21:42:25 »
well if the camera can't see anything, why should it worry about the focus and stuff until it takes the picture?

and how would i make the script telling the cam to shoot no matter what ?

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #5 on: 05 / July / 2008, 22:30:53 »
well, you could use the shoot_full command. but be warned, it also shoots when the flash isnt charged yet ;)
you could wait until a key is pressed (up button for example in alt/script mode) to trigger a shot with shoot_full.