Cropped zebra or zebra specific OSD

• 90 Replies

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: Cropped zebra or zebra specific OSD
« Reply #60 on: 22 / December / 2008, 16:42:23 »
Advertisements
hm, is this a major issue? i reopened the ticket i created for this, will check it out some time in the future.
unless you say it is a major issue, because then we should incorporate a solution asap.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #61 on: 22 / December / 2008, 17:25:05 »
hm, is this a major issue? i reopened the ticket i created for this, will check it out some time in the future.
unless you say it is a major issue, because then we should incorporate a solution asap.

Well, if those lowest-on-RAM cameras are no longer able to use zebra at all or nearly at all, I'd consider it major. Unless someone finds severe bugs with my gui_osd.c in the previous post (I'd like to remind I'm not a coder by profession and that there are lots of juicy possibilities for buffer overflows in there...but even if it is broken it shouldn't be able to break anything else when zebra is disabled), it's a drop-in replacement to current trunk to bring new zebra RAM usage closer to old zebra.

The #defines should be moved to camera.h, but that's not urgent, especially since we don't have a table of available RAM on each camera to help decide which ones to disable the RAM savings on, do we?.

In short, even with "#define ZEBRA_CANONOSD_BORDER_RESTORE   1", new zebra is much better than old zebra.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #62 on: 22 / December / 2008, 17:29:03 »
would you mind creating a diff/patch against current gui_osd.c (and maybe also attaching it in the bugtracker). i really hate to search the forum for specific posts, let alone patches (also considering time and my crazy mind that always forgets things). i can lift your status from reporter to developer in bugtracker if you want (heck, i will do it anyway... :D)

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #63 on: 22 / December / 2008, 17:40:56 »
would you mind creating a diff/patch against current gui_osd.c (and maybe also attaching it in the bugtracker). i really hate to search the forum for specific posts, let alone patches (also considering time and my crazy mind that always forgets things). i can lift your status from reporter to developer in bugtracker if you want (heck, i will do it anyway... :D)

I don't think I have an account in the bugtracker yet, I promise I'll create it one day when I have the time :D...

A diff included (there's some indentation cleanups too to obfuscate the diff further).

Offline mngc

• a590is fw 1.0.1b & sx110is fw 1.0b
« Reply #64 on: 25 / December / 2008, 11:36:09 »
Hi,

My camara is a590is fw 1.01B. actual CHDK: 0.8.10-651

My OLD CHDK PLAY mode zebra problem:
A590IS porting...

Now, with new CHDK: 0.8.10-651
- Record mode zebra is ok. Histogram is ok.
- But in play mode (half press shutter button) zebra not working, Zebra draw nothing. And histogram missing too. Of course enable zebra, and histogram too.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #65 on: 25 / December / 2008, 11:58:24 »
- Record mode zebra is ok. Histogram is ok.
- But in play mode (half press shutter button) zebra not working, Zebra draw nothing. And histogram missing too. Of course enable zebra, and histogram too.

I've never seen a CHDK zebra in PLAY mode. Are we actually supposed to have that? Histrogram works fine for me in play mode on a570is. Is there a setting that prevents you from seeing it? I can't remember.

Offline obsidian

• A710IS
« Reply #66 on: 25 / December / 2008, 12:10:18 »
On A710IS i have zebra working  in play modesince i have chdk. but since December i have problems: zebra crashes (LCD picture frozen OR camera shuts down insantly, in some build works, but in other builds crashes when shooting with zebra instanly after startup.) I think in build<600 OK
A710IS + 4GB SanDisk Ultra II

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #67 on: 25 / December / 2008, 12:27:52 »
On A710IS i have zebra working  in play modesince i have chdk. but since December i have problems: zebra crashes (LCD picture frozen OR camera shuts down insantly, in some build works, but in other builds crashes when shooting with zebra instanly after startup.) I think in build<600 OK

1) Upgrade to the very latest build from today-ish.
2) Read this entire thread carefully from December on to see what's been going on and compare the dates with your experiences with zebra AND especially pay notice to the posts that give you hints on which CHDK features (other than zebra) need significant amounts of RAM. Your camera is one of the models lowest on RAM, so you should avoid using features you don't absolutely need (like pretty fonts and symbols, or badpixel files if you don't shoot dng, languge file if you're fine with english etc). There's also a couple of new games in CHDK that require more RAM...

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #68 on: 25 / December / 2008, 12:34:19 »
I've never seen a CHDK zebra in PLAY mode.

In old GrAnd build we can see zebra in playback mode.

Reason: gui_osd.c:
Code: (c) [Select]
            short ready;
            static int n=0;
            get_property_case(PROPCASE_SHOOTING, &ready, 4);
            n=draw_guard_pixel();
            if(!ready || n==0) return 0;

IMHO, we cannot expect in playback mode that value of PROPCASE_SHOOTING is equal to 1  :D.

p.s. Reading 4 bytes to short variable is also not too good idea.
« Last Edit: 25 / December / 2008, 12:41:08 by ewavr »

Offline mngc

• a590is fw 1.0.1b & sx110is fw 1.0b
« Reply #69 on: 25 / December / 2008, 12:49:44 »
On a720is with older allbest build, playback zebra is ok (not my camera). Very useful, when magnify the image, the zebra redraws, small overexposured area is detectable. And the histogram redraws for the magnified image (if enabled, too).