• 13 Replies
Don't touch my eggs
« on: 06 / July / 2008, 22:55:58 »
Advertisements
S3IS+CHDK
« Last Edit: 17 / September / 2009, 22:10:15 by ripwink »

Re: Don't touch my eggs
« Reply #1 on: 07 / July / 2008, 12:35:25 »
Wow! Not only a great macro shot, but a fearless photographer as well...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><<

« Reply #2 on: 07 / July / 2008, 16:25:43 »
Congratulations on what must be an award winning photo
G9, Ixus75

« Reply #3 on: 07 / July / 2008, 22:14:00 »
Thanks for your comments.

In fact these Yellow Paper Wasp's are not aggressive if your movement is deliberate, slow and smooth. I have learnt this by getting bitten thrice. First time about 20 years back and then twice recently when trying to get series of these shots as I had forgotten the lesson learnt earlier. Their sting/bite is real painful.

Offline Joshatdot

• A720 & A570 w/latest Autobuild
    • Joshatdot's Photobucket
« Reply #4 on: 08 / July / 2008, 00:20:01 »
in your macro pics, what does the CHDK do for you? RAW & HDR..or some scripts?

« Reply #5 on: 08 / July / 2008, 03:25:58 »
For macro work CHDK is extremely helpful for the following. (Once again thanks to all developers)

To maximize DOF, by using smallest workable aperture (F/11).

To synchronize built in flash to highest workable shutter speed (between 1/500 to 1/2000 sec) to freeze movement. Higher shutter speed under exposes as built in flash is not that powerful for my setup. This seems odd as to why flash exposure is controlled by shutter speed instead of aperture. In small auto flash's flash output is controlled by the duration it is on, that is it may be between 1/250sec to may be 1/10000 sec. As the flash is giving full output at 1/250sec or thereabouts it does not freeze fast action. You have to hit and try to find best combination for your camera.

Instantly changing the focus point from hyperfocal distance to infinity (normally you have to keep two buttons pressed with your two thumbs). For macro this is required as FOV changes with focused distance.

RAW: for improving good shots. (I don't waste my time with poor shots).

Auto ISO: In the field it is helpful (Auto ISO range should be minimum say between ISO 50-200 to minimize grain).

There are other uses also like usb trigger which I have not tried. This will help in reducing the camera shake when pressing the shutter release. The shake due to this makes your subject out of focus rather than freezing action.

I hope this helps

Edit: One very important use I forgot to mention. This is aperture locking through CHDK. The aperture control dial of S3IS is placed in such a position that when I am concentrating on the subject through the view finder, I inadvertently change the aperture. This way I have lost many shots. When I have to keep f/8 for closeups, I do it through aperture override. The aperture gets locked and no missed shots due to reduced DOF by change of aperture through dial under the thumb.
« Last Edit: 08 / July / 2008, 04:32:27 by ripwink »

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #6 on: 08 / July / 2008, 04:58:23 »
beautiful, applause!

« Reply #7 on: 08 / July / 2008, 06:39:17 »
Hi,  thanks for your explanation.  Could you explain a little further on the comment below please & how it's achieved in chdk.  So in macro,  why focus to infinity?

"instantly changing the focus point from hyperfocal distance to infinity (normally you have to keep two buttons pressed with your two thumbs). For macro this is required as FOV changes with focused distance."

ps,  gotta try this soon,  with the polystyrene paper cup trick  and an old OM 1.4 lens.  No yellow paper wasps in my neck of the wood though.
« Last Edit: 08 / July / 2008, 09:18:03 by drewster »
G9, Ixus75

« Reply #8 on: 09 / July / 2008, 00:45:55 »
If you've got woods, you 've got paper wasps...!

I built my deck out of Redwood rather than arsenic impregnated Poplar because it's impervious to termites and other wood boring insects without being harmful to humans, but the paper wasps still scrape away at it and make their nests.
Fortunately, at the present rate of diminution, the deck should be good until 3070 A.D. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><<

« Reply #9 on: 12 / October / 2008, 22:04:51 »
I see your wasp, and raise you one spider.
:D

-Tim