The DIY stuff - page 3 - Hotwire! Hardware Mods, Accessories and Insights - CHDK Forum  

The DIY stuff

• 45 Replies
Re: The DIY stuff
« Reply #20 on: 16 / November / 2009, 05:54:17 »
Advertisements
You are locked-out for two seconds after the first pulse ends.
Try again and press the switch after three or four seconds (depending on how long your switch pulse is).
In latest version you can set the lock-out time from a menu item.

Even after 20 seconds there is no response to a buttomn press on the remote.

In Stereo menu set camera position to 'R' (for 'right' camera).
If synch is enable and a letter 'F' is displayed at the top you should be able to take a flash photo.

Is 'F' displayed ?

In the above scenario I do not see an F, but do I see a flash Symbol (the lightning strike) and a remote button press  has the flash fire and  the picture is taken. but then the previously reported hang up occurs. The screen just displays the last picture just taken until the USB cable is removed or I power down the camera.

I do note that a second "DIG" is displayed immediately below the first along with the previously mentioned flick of the USB text, when the second button push is made. The nthere remain the two DIG one above the other.

Sorry I am still in ignorance of what all the different settings mean so I am blundering around a bit but I used "Reset to defaults" and then tried your suggestion above.

Offline whoever

• IXUS950
« Reply #21 on: 16 / November / 2009, 06:16:56 »
Even after 20 seconds there is no response to a buttomn press on the remote.
From what you describe it seems that the triac in your optoisolator, once optically opened, gets sufficient current to stay open (you surely checked the output with a voltmeter?)

P.S. It is highly unlikely that Microfunguy's software will be able to mend your hardware...

« Reply #22 on: 16 / November / 2009, 07:56:46 »
Let us take this step-by-step  ...

Connect camera to PC using the USB cable.

A photo will be taken.

After the two second time-out another photo will be take .. forever.

Does that work ?

« Reply #23 on: 16 / November / 2009, 09:18:36 »
the triac in your optoisolator, once optically opened, gets sufficient current to stay open

Someone using a DIY triac-based flash-trigger mentioned a similar problem to me when using it with studio flash.

The flash had to be turned-off before the trigger would work again.

Any suggestions for modifying the trigger circuitry to avoid this problem  ?

Offline whoever

• IXUS950
« Reply #24 on: 16 / November / 2009, 10:50:17 »
the triac in your optoisolator, once optically opened, gets sufficient current to stay open
Someone using a DIY triac-based flash-trigger mentioned a similar problem to me when using it with studio flash.
The flash had to be turned-off before the trigger would work again.
Any suggestions for modifying the trigger circuitry to avoid this problem  ?
For the flash trigger project, I'd put a capacitor shunted with a resistor, say 0.5 uF and 100k, in series with the triac/thyristor.

For the original project in question, I'd through out the optoisolator and look for a suitable logical level in the circuit. Here is schematics for an excellent Chinese $10- doorbell. Inspired by the discussion, I just got one of those for myself.

« Reply #25 on: 16 / November / 2009, 11:45:24 »
For the flash trigger project, I'd put a capacitor shunted with a resistor, say 0.5 uF and 100k, in series with the triac/thyristor.
So, you would need a 400V 0.47uF capacitor ?

schematics for an excellent Chinese $10- doorbell

Good link !

Offline whoever

• IXUS950
« Reply #26 on: 16 / November / 2009, 12:02:15 »
You mean those old-fashioned flashes with 400V on the hotshoe? Oh my... You then need a megaohm-ish resistor, and you may want to adjust the capacitor so that the dead time is not too long... And yes, I believe it has to be rated for that voltage.

« Reply #27 on: 16 / November / 2009, 18:47:20 »
whoever said:
From what you describe it seems that the triac in your optoisolator, once optically opened, gets sufficient current to stay open (you surely checked the output with a voltmeter?)
Yes I had, 4 to 4.5 V for a second or so and then drops .01 or .02 (not a very fancy DMM though).

Microfunguy said:
Let us take this step-by-step  ...

Connect camera to PC using the USB cable.

A photo will be taken.

After the two second time-out another photo will be take .. forever.

Does that work ?
I just tried that and no. The 1st photo is taken (only sometimes, maybe one in three attempts) and then nothing further?

I tried on both front and rear USB outlets on the PC.  The camera batteries were down so Itried afresh set but same intermittent result.

I have a wired  4.5V remote swithch and that works fine.  A photo for each press. After the delay that is.

Maybe I go and buy a wireless doorbell ::)

« Reply #28 on: 16 / November / 2009, 19:02:11 »
only sometimes, maybe one in three attempts

That is almost impossible.

Are you in FAST mode ?

While the USB cable is connected is 'USB' displayed ?

« Reply #29 on: 16 / November / 2009, 19:10:09 »
OK, that was misleading.
You have to remove the USB cable after the photo is taken and re-insert it a few seconds later.

Does that work ?