Laser - Creative Uses of CHDK - CHDK Forum

Laser

• 41 Replies
Laser
« on: 20 / July / 2008, 14:56:28 »
Advertisements
A simple 5mW green laser on my bedroom wall, at night.

Dimmed beam

Full strength beam

Album: http://mikeage.net/content/gallery/Misc/Laser/

For some shots, the beam was dimmed by covering it with a piece of paper with a pinhole.

What did I learn? First, it's really hard to write while pointing when you can't see what you've written ;)

Exposure times were 5s or 16s, ISO 80. Focus was set for infinity; next time I'll try using CHDK's manual focus (or a focus lock, but my wife was asleep off-screen, and I didn't want to turn on the lights...) No post-processing done except to crop out part of the image (and even that was done quite roughly). Note that the beam is actually green, but at night, it looks white even to the eye (especially on a white wall).

Maybe soon I'll clean up the area and experiment to try for some nice shots, but I just really like the way these came out, and decided to share them ;)

Offline jetzt

• [A710IS,(SD200)]
Re: Laser
« Reply #1 on: 21 / July / 2008, 14:46:13 »
Looks like someone had problems falling asleep :P
Nice.

« Reply #2 on: 21 / July / 2008, 16:12:55 »
I made it in absolutely dark room.  Exposure time 15s and strong flashlight. When camera flashed (what had not take long) i light up small flashlight in my hand and make light trail. So whole picture was made when short flash from camera occured and then nothing else can get into picture (i.e. my movements) except another light :) I was so excited discovering this technique than i cannot sleep to 3.00 am :P

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
« Reply #3 on: 21 / July / 2008, 16:14:56 »
I made it in absolutely dark room.  Exposure time 15s and strong flashlight. When camera flashed (what had not take long) i light up small flashlight in my hand and make light trail. So whole picture was made when short flash from camera occured and then nothing else can get into picture (i.e. my movements) except another light :) I was so excited discovering this technique than i cannot sleep to 3.00 am :P

Hej,
Wow that looks great !
Congrats !

Offline dzsemx

• [SX40HS][A650][A630]
« Reply #4 on: 21 / July / 2008, 17:15:08 »
harvald: awesome :lol

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
« Reply #5 on: 21 / July / 2008, 19:24:28 »
but my wife was asleep off-screen, and I didn't want to turn on the lights

I was so excited discovering this technique than i cannot sleep to 3.00 am

We still don't have reports of CHDK directly damaging cameras. But one of these days someone's wife is going to smash the freaking toy into peaces. Let's hope it happens on the floor and not on the top of the husband's head.

Wife: "I'm fed up with that camera of yours! Since you downloaded that CDHK thing you don't even take nice pictures anymore. All you do is pointless tests and more tests day and night..."

Offline yvesson

• A540 SX10IS
    • poll about some pics (not much serious) ^^
« Reply #6 on: 21 / July / 2008, 19:36:59 »
Hej,
Could be some idea to "paint" a very small beam onto a non-flat surface, to like reveal the volume of it...

« Reply #7 on: 21 / July / 2008, 20:34:48 »

very very cewl effect.and nicely figured out!!!!lol.
it proberbly could have been done nicer in photoshop,but the way u did it is way cooler.
good work.
u  do look a bit obsessed...lol

« Reply #8 on: 21 / July / 2008, 23:48:33 »
but my wife was asleep off-screen, and I didn't want to turn on the lights
We still don't have reports of CHDK directly damaging cameras. But one of these days someone's wife is going to smash the freaking toy into peaces. Let's hope it happens on the floor and not on the top of the husband's head.

It's technically her camera.... ;)

Offline Joshatdot

• A720 & A570 w/latest Autobuild
    • Joshatdot's Photobucket
« Reply #9 on: 21 / July / 2008, 23:58:59 »
kool stuffs! whats with the anti-llamas pic on the wall  ???