This is another test of night time HDR with image stacking:

More details on how I did it can be found here
« Last Edit: 02 / March / 2009, 06:23:20 by fbonomi »

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: Night-time HDR with image stacking
« Reply #1 on: 22 / July / 2008, 08:34:30 »
nice picture and nice tutorial! following it was able to produce the following picture. i was stunned because you have chosen a similar subject as i did, beach, night, sea and whatnot ;)
i should have made the NR shots though, it is heavily noised. and just a quick patch to show that your tutorial worked ;)
by the way introduced first in version 3.0, photomatix now has so called "exposure fusion", which also is a kind of image stacking, its also worth a shot.
the source images (10 shots) were shot from a tripod (windy though). i wanted to preserve the reflection of light from the lighthouse on the other "shore".

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
« Reply #2 on: 22 / July / 2008, 09:50:27 »
I am glad my tutorial worked :-)

i was stunned because you have chosen a similar subject as i did
yes, that's funny

very nice lights, the reflections in the wet sand are especially interesting.

it is heavily noised
It's strange, my camera does not have the noise on the bottom and right border.
My camera mainly does noise in the top left corner (and you can still see it, even after subtracting the dark frame)
What camera do you have?

were shot from a tripod (windy though)
yes, the "shakes" ruin the image. But are the photos blurred if you look at them one by one?
I mean, could you try to align them? Does Photomatix 3.0 have an auto-align mechanism? It has one in HDR generation...

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
« Reply #3 on: 22 / July / 2008, 12:24:48 »
another example of the same technique, more delicate colours and definitely nicer

Details in the same page

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #4 on: 22 / July / 2008, 13:16:06 »
wow, this looks great! the water almost looks like liquid metal. great composition! this could be a contest winner.

I am glad my tutorial worked :-)

i was stunned because you have chosen a similar subject as i did
yes, that's funny

very nice lights, the reflections in the wet sand are especially interesting.

it is heavily noised
It's strange, my camera does not have the noise on the bottom and right border.
My camera mainly does noise in the top left corner (and you can still see it, even after subtracting the dark frame)
What camera do you have?

were shot from a tripod (windy though)
yes, the "shakes" ruin the image. But are the photos blurred if you look at them one by one?
I mean, could you try to align them? Does Photomatix 3.0 have an auto-align mechanism? It has one in HDR generation...

well, the noise mostly comes from a) 65" exposure and b) no in-camera NR (disabled it)
camera is s3is.
yes photomatix does have an aligning mechanism in the "stacking" mode (though i didnt use stacking in this case, i used your described method with imagestack & hdr/tonemapping in photomatix), but i think i either didnt use it or preferred to use the faster one (takes alotta time aligning 10 pictures with the "slower" method"). actually photomatix can align pics pretty good, and also pretty fast (i'm talking about maybe one minute here), way faster than hugin (as far as i can tell). the source pictures arent blurred at all! maybe i will give it another shot, but i definitly won't stand a chance against your pictures :D
« Last Edit: 22 / July / 2008, 13:18:32 by PhyrePhoX »

« Reply #5 on: 23 / July / 2008, 15:56:41 »
Beautyful atmosfear in that last picture.The water looks like plastic,and nothing but the moon is overexposed,as expected,the movement that causes the oval moon,i would give a touchover in photoshop or similar,would defenatly make a nice postcard,for that sight.

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
« Reply #6 on: 23 / July / 2008, 17:17:36 »
thanks emiil and Phyrephox.
Yes, I like it too.
Unlike the first one, it does not look too HDR-esque :-)

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
« Reply #7 on: 30 / July / 2008, 11:06:42 »
did you have noise reduction turned on or off? i found out a few weeks ago while trying to take star trail pictures that if you use the built in noise reduction feature (the dark frame one) then your star trails will be dotted almost, because there will be a gap of x time (your exposure time) between each exposure since it has to do dark frame subtraction.

so if you took ten 60 second exposures with no noise reduction, then covered up the lens and took another 60 second exposure, how would you go about using the dark frame to subtract the noise? and would it still work to reduce as much noise as averaging each of the 10 exposures like it normally does? sorry to thread jack.
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
« Reply #8 on: 31 / July / 2008, 17:30:40 »
Coutts, this is true: if the exposure is long enough, the correspondig internal nose reduction (whe the camera say "Processing..." would leave gaps in the trails.

I took 40*10" in the first case and 256*2" in the second. That was not enough to leave visible "holes!" in the trails

how would you go about using the dark frame to subtract the noise? and would it still work to reduce as much noise as averaging each of the 10 exposures like it normally does? sorry to thread jack.
I do not exactly understand the question...

Offline Coutts

• www.flickr.com/couttsphotog
    • Flickr
« Reply #9 on: 31 / July / 2008, 18:42:46 »
to reword my question, if i turned off the internal noise reduction, what sort of software would i go about using to use a dark frame picture i take to subtract noise?
Canon 5d
Canon 50mm f/1.8
Sigma 24mm f/1.8

Flickr