16 GB SDHC works with S5 IS - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

16 GB SDHC works with S5 IS

• 2 Replies

Offline Howdy

• [S5 IS]
16 GB SDHC works with S5 IS
« on: 23 / July / 2008, 17:39:42 »
Advertisements
Hello!

A few days ago I asked about the largest card size Canon PowerShot S5 IS is able to handle - http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,1846.0.html. A special 'thank you' goes to 'albuemil' and 'brainwash' who answered me!

As noone with 16 GB card responded, I decided to bite the bullet and bought a 16 GB PQI class 6 SDHC card (advertised as 'upto 18MB/s write and 20 MB/s read').

The card works flawlessly. I used the instruction on http://mind-fields-ahead.blogspot.com/2008/04/canon-s5-is-chdk-hack-step-by-step.html and it worked without any problem. The reader I used was a very cheap Digitus multi card reader/writer (in other words - the cheapest I could find :) ).

I tested movies, RAWs and normal JPEGs - everything works without any problems. The full capacity is utilised by the camera.

Speed: (Benchmark of CHDK Allbest #51-444). Card was written almost full (about 15 MB on the 2nd partition left) and then the content of the directory in which the camera stores pictures was fully erased in Windows.

Screen:
 Write: 5346 Kb/s 63 FPS
 Read: 13965 Kb/s 55 PFS
Memory:
 Write: 40206 Kb/s
 Read: 56496 Kb/s
Flash-card
 Write (RAW): 15301 Kb/s
 Write (Mem): 13503 Kb/s
 Write (64k): 5669 Kb/s
 Read (64k): 7281 Kb/s

I hope it will be useful for anyone who is afraid of buying a huge card to S5.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: 16 GB SDHC works with S5 IS
« Reply #1 on: 03 / September / 2008, 10:33:57 »
by the way, found an "official" statement of canon regarding sdhc cards and the canon s-series:

http://forums.steves-digicams.com/forums/view_topic.php?id=587385&forum_id=52 (3rd post)

it basically states that you can use SDHC cards with a capacity of up to 2 TB. Yes, that's terabyte.
I will receive a 16 GB card to test on my s3is tomorrow.
The s2is however seems to not support such big cards, i dont know if this is confirmed though.

Re: 16 GB SDHC works with S5 IS
« Reply #2 on: 04 / October / 2008, 01:28:23 »

I've tried to use the same guide for my powershot a720 and I got it to work with a 8 gb SDHC card (creating
two partitions and using the special driver to allow partitioning an SD card under windows). However, with
a 16 gb SDHC card, I can't get it to work. Somehow the camera always tries to store pictures on the first small
16 mb partition. I can't get it to access the remaining 15 gb partition. With an 8 gb SDHC card, there is no problem, CHDK boots from the small 16 mb partition and the camera stores pictures on the remaining 7 gb partition.

Does anyone know how this problem can be overcome so I can use CHDK on the 16 gb sdhc card in the powershot a720?

kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions, Niek