Can't seem to get this to work - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Can't seem to get this to work

• 4 Replies
Can't seem to get this to work
« on: 23 / July / 2008, 23:03:32 »
Advertisements
I have a Canon a710 and am trying to use the Allbest version.  I downloaded it, expanded it using stuffit, put it on my card using a USB card reader but when I turn on the camera and go to the menu there is nothing new there.  Am I missing something??

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: Can't seem to get this to work
« Reply #1 on: 24 / July / 2008, 04:39:42 »
Hello & welcome Sroney !

Have you done it like described here: CHDK wikia: CHDK for Dummies  #I have the camera already ?

Have you placed the 2 files (diskboot.bin & ps.fir) on the root folder of your SD card ?

Follow this steps: FAQ  #How do I manually load CHDK so I can use it ? and have fun with CHDK !

« Reply #2 on: 24 / July / 2008, 12:04:14 »
If you are using stuffit, you are probably on a Mac, so these Windows based utilities will not work for you.

One thing to note, you must turn on the camera in Playback mode for the firmware update to be available to manually install CHDK.

HTH,
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><<

« Reply #3 on: 24 / July / 2008, 18:00:03 »
I have one all the things suggested to no avail.  There is no reason why this should not work on a Mac because the camera is not a Mac.  The instructions for doing this on a Mac said to use Stuffit to expand the zip files which worked fine and they are definitely on the card because I can see them when the card mounts on my computer.  Any more suggestions?

« Reply #4 on: 24 / July / 2008, 22:30:48 »
Was the card formatted in the camera? Low level format?

How large is the card? It must be 4GB or less (unless dual-partitioned and that's a whole other story).

Who is the manufacturer? There have been issues with both PNY and Transcend cards.

Can you determine if it is formatted as either FAT 12 or FAT 16? FAT 32 will not work.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><<