What to buy - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

What to buy

• 26 Replies
What to buy
« on: 26 / July / 2008, 17:46:41 »
Advertisements
Hi guys,

Was wondering if you could offer me some advice. I am currently after a camera with chdk features. I'm cool with buying an s3 or s5 for the time being and using that. However I was wondering how long you guys reckon it will be till chdk is up and running on a dslr, and if it does get up and running on one which model is likely to be running on first.

Cheers

Offline Hacki

• EOS 80D
Re: What to buy
« Reply #1 on: 26 / July / 2008, 17:53:33 »
Hi guys,

Was wondering if you could offer me some advice. I am currently after a camera with chdk features. I'm cool with buying an s3 or s5 for the time being and using that. However I was wondering how long you guys reckon it will be till chdk is up and running on a dslr, and if it does get up and running on one which model is likely to be running on first.

Cheers

If your budget allows you to buy a DSLR, do it.

CHDK will probably come, even if it takes a few months, but in the end - you'll be happier with a DSLR. They are just better than P&S cams.

(Just my opinion. Dreaming of a DSLR for quite some time now, still stuck with my crappy P&S cam)

Offline wontolla

• S3 & G9 & A720
« Reply #2 on: 26 / July / 2008, 18:51:49 »
Difficult to see. Always in motion is the future.

People working on it. No camera model comes to my mind but they mention theirs:
Any developers interested in working on CHDK firmware for DSLRs ?

Ditto. I would take my chances. Even if there is no CHDK for it, you'll end up with a great camera. And, after hours of carrying a DSLR around your neck, you will buy the P&S anyways.

(Just my opinion. Dreaming of a DSLR for quite some time now, still stuck with my crappy P&S cam)
Good to know I'm not the only one.

Offline true

• SX230, SX260, 5DmkII, and more :)
« Reply #3 on: 27 / July / 2008, 16:19:18 »
I am stuck with my DSLR, as I am still waiting for my A720IS to get back from RMA. There's so many shots I miss because I am too lazy to unpack my camera and mount the lens...
Canon P&S: 110HS, SX260HS, SX230HS, 2x A720 IS, 2x A590 IS
Canon DSLR: 5D Mark II, 300D IR-converted, 8x glass
MFT: DMC-GF1, DMC-G3, 7x glass

« Reply #4 on: 28 / July / 2008, 09:44:14 »
Ok,

I think I'll probably get either a 400d or a 450d. Any ideas on which of these might get chdk first, or is that impossible to answer?

Offline true

• SX230, SX260, 5DmkII, and more :)
« Reply #5 on: 28 / July / 2008, 20:30:30 »
No idea. What little progress I have seen seems to be split, although I tend to read 40D information more.

Either is a good camera,  even without CHDK. although I prefer mine with a top status LCD.

(Although, the thought of unlimited bracketing on my 40D sure is nice...)
Canon P&S: 110HS, SX260HS, SX230HS, 2x A720 IS, 2x A590 IS
Canon DSLR: 5D Mark II, 300D IR-converted, 8x glass
MFT: DMC-GF1, DMC-G3, 7x glass

« Reply #6 on: 28 / July / 2008, 22:54:20 »

It depends on what you are looking for, DSLR definitely take good pictures if you know what you do.
However, please note the below:
- DSLR don't take movies (unless some future CHDK hack allows for it)
- DSLR are usually bulkier and you may need to carry around a few kilos of lenses to cover the 10x
  zoom range.
- Changing lenses is a risky process (to get dirt into you camera if you are not careful)
  I have seen many pros carrying around 2 cameras with different lenses so that no change is needed.
- Most of DSLR users are still carrying around some small P&S as a backup camera.

« Reply #7 on: 30 / July / 2008, 10:34:25 »
(Although, the thought of unlimited bracketing on my 40D sure is nice...)

This is what I'm after greater bracketing. Seeing as thats pretty much all I want maybe I'd be better off with something like a nikon d200, what do you guys reckon. I know this probably isn't the right place to be posting this but you guys seem to know what your on about.

Thanks

Offline brainwash

• Nikon D40x & A460
« Reply #8 on: 11 / August / 2008, 10:03:46 »
Hi guys,

Cheers

CHDK will probably come, even if it takes a few months, but in the end - you'll be happier with a DSLR. They are just better than P&S cams.

Or you could buy an S3 and S5 which will serve you well for years and after you figure out its limitations climb a step up the ladder. I am quite happy with my S2 since the limiting factor for me is the ability to shoot in different conditions.
I've taken photos with a D70 and its anything you would like from a DSLR (pro-sumer). However, from an opportunity point of view the really thing that separates DSLR from crappy P&S is the EVF. On the D70 I actually could compose and manually focus the shot while on S2 it's like looking through a bottle.

You should also consider that a DSLR also carries its price: bag (50$), objectives (optically-stabilized ones with at least 10x zoom are in the $$$-$$$$ range, wide angle corrected lenses likewise), financial loss in case of theft/breakage, etc.

Oh, and larger image sensors require more exposure -> more chance to induce motion blur. There is a calculator for this here: Digital Photography Tutorials somewhere. The first time I started shooting with a DSLR (350D) all I could get without flash were blurry photos. ISO800 is not uncommon with ambient (i.e. bulb) light.

I'd say for studio shots (stock photography), weddings, occasional awarded best-shots you should get a DSLR. If you're the type which finds a photo occasion here&there, stick with the super-zoom P&S, you will quickly get bored of carying that DSLR around everywhere. You will however come to regret that you have no usable EVF and no wide-angle.

Optical through-the-objective EVF can be 'replaced' by zooming in on pixel level once the shot is taken - keep shutter pressed and press SET, this locks the picture in preview mode. Then hold the zoom lever to zoom all the way in and check for blur. If the shot is broken, take one again. With practice, this process takes about 1-2 seconds and you might need it for DSLR also.

Offline lukg

• Eos 450D+18-55is+55-250is & Powershot S5is - 1.01a
« Reply #9 on: 13 / August / 2008, 10:21:26 »
« Last Edit: 13 / August / 2008, 10:53:47 by lukg »