* Allow user to specify EXIF fields like "Artist Name", "Author", besides just "Owner's Name". Others have been proposed. Perhaps someone could collect these and make a separate "EXIF tags we'd like to see" thread.
* For shooting video: please, oh please display the length of time remaining while shooting. Currently the camera doesn't tell you. So you end up unexpectedly filling the card.
* Support the display of externally processed JPGs. Currently it throws an error ("Unidentified Image")
* A user selectable feature to automatically disable image stabilization for time exposures longer than
* Remove restrictions on the length of videos and audio recordings.
* Display histogram of frequency information (sharpness) and translate to equivalent megapixel rating. In real-time (ideally) and/or playback mode. This will make it easy to determine how sharp an image is. And determine the "best shot" from a group of shots (what I call the "lucky method"). Others have proposed merely comparing JPG file sizes to determine "best shot". But comparing histograms is superior since it's the high frequencies that matter.* Use false color to indicate sharpness. Same idea as the zebra pattern for exposure. This allows a relatively low resolution LCD to tell you exactly which areas are in-focus (or not).
* Ability to shut off LCD backlight. This will extend battery life for shooting lengthy videos on tripod (or audio) like concerts, weddings, etc. With the G9 the Display button indeed shuts it off but NOT in video mode, sadly.
* Improve the playback display to show more EXIF tags (all?).
* Support external USB peripherals such as an external GPS device for location-based EXIF tags. A hardware bridge may not be required since most Canon cameras can connect to printers directly. This would imply the USB port can be configured as both a host and peripheral.
* An integrated automatic bracketing and stacking algorithm. Would automatically align frames and stack (using the RAW image mixing modes). It would retain the originals.* Automatic removal of lens distortion/aberrations (ie, barrel, pincushion, etc) using the actual transfer function of that model of camera. OK, maybe this is asking too much!
* Software to make the camera into a dedicated electronic range finder. The focusing system which give the range of different AF points in the scene. Wouldn't necessarily have to function as a camera in that mode.
* Auto leveling feature which would rotate shots so they're aligned properly. Alternatives would include artificial horizon (semi-automated) or post processing so you could manually rotate to align to a grid. Practicality would depend on the accuracy of the camera's accelerometers.
* Support RAW in all shooting modes. Currently Canon only supports RAW in a few modes.
* Remember ALL settings when powering off. Like Macro mode, for example. This could be a menu option called "Remember Macro setting after power down" or similar. In an afternoon of shooting wildflowers I may power
* Be able to assign more function options to the Shortcut Button. Such as switching lenses, toggling image stabilization, Macro
* The MF "focus check" feature is great but still not useful enough. It needs to zoom in even more (25% to 50% more). Otherwise you still can't quite tell if the image is sufficiently focused, even with a magnifying glass on the LCD.
* The panorama feature is currently not very useful IMHO because the images are displayed too small. I've taken hundreds of panoramas with the G9 and usually resort to doing it manually. If the size of the images
Fudgey, I'm surprised you said the sound is crappy on A series, it's prolly not as good as S series but imo really okej for recording a conversation or even a guy singing with a guitar with clean sound.This the begining of a song at a concert I recorded with my A540.
Oh and am I missing something, or you can turn LCD off by putting a jack in the plug while recording the video ?
Started by a710is
Started by Mr Cat
Started by PS
Forum related topics (including issues)
Started by kinematic
DSLR Hack development
Started by Hardware_Hacker
General Discussion and Assistance