Using CHDK for more than 1hr of video on Canon S3 IS ? - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum  

Using CHDK for more than 1hr of video on Canon S3 IS ?

• 2 Replies
Using CHDK for more than 1hr of video on Canon S3 IS ?
« on: 02 / August / 2008, 21:38:40 »
Advertisements
Hi CHDK forum.  I would like to make video > 1hr limit in firmware of Canon S3 IS.  Is there a way, perhaps using an interval timer for video and having it start a new video when the current video reaches 1hr ?  Other ideas.

Sven

Re: Using CHDK for more than 1hr of video on Canon S3 IS ?
« Reply #1 on: 03 / August / 2008, 14:25:09 »
It seems that the Omni Intervalometer script provides the needed functionality.  In essense, configure "n" repeating videos of "t" duration and you can use shoot video continuously until out of space.  Being constrained by 1hr or 2GB limit on the Canon S3 IS, I'm looking to shoot video close to these limits and therefore trying to determine how to set intervalometer video duration for my chosen resolution, frame rate, and bitrate.  What I cannot find or determine is bandwidth on the camera at a particular combination of these variables.  For example:

640x480, 30fps, 44.1kHz audio, 2.0 bitrate = 8'38" of video before reaching 2GB limit

Can anybody show how to calculate this such that I can produce a table with all combinations of variables ?

Sven

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: Using CHDK for more than 1hr of video on Canon S3 IS ?
« Reply #2 on: 03 / August / 2008, 14:29:30 »
there really is no "fixed" bitrate, as the bitrate heavily depends on what you record, for example a static scene with just a white wall will be more compressed than a movie with lots of color, contrast and the like.
you can use the juciphox build to get displayed remaining time and also kb/s, also you can change quality/bitrate during recording by using up/down button.
check it out here: the collaborative CHDK build