Wave/Mp3 Recorder and Player (DIGICIII-Digic II)? - page 2 - Feature Requests - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

Wave/Mp3 Recorder and Player (DIGICIII-Digic II)?

• 40 Replies

Offline dzsemx

• [SX40HS][A650][A630]
Re: Wave/Mp3 Recorder and Player (DIGICIII-Digic II)?
« Reply #10 on: 14 / March / 2008, 14:45:19 »
Advertisements
maybe the sound memo limit would be nice to be removed...
but seriously... i don't want an universal canon device...
it's good as digital camera...
an mp3 player is really cheap...
personally i use my phone for mp3...
a hacked SE k800 :) (k810 firmware, lot of pacthes, menu and camera driver mod by me, acoustics mixed by me, system font changed)
it's awesome as phone, as mp3 player and great for 3D java games...
the only disappointment is the camera... the k800 camera is a piece of sh*t, worse than k750 (but in case of emergency it's priceless)
« Last Edit: 14 / March / 2008, 15:05:30 by dzsemx »

« Reply #11 on: 08 / May / 2008, 13:25:35 »
I would really like to have this feature and would be willing to pay someone to develop it.

It should be easy to re-purpose the A/V output jack as a headphone (stereo audio only) jack. Canon camcorders already offer this capability in their menu system. The omni selector can be configured as a media / playlist selector and volume control. Simple text listing for music / media files on the LCD screen.

I don't want to carry an MP3 player around in addition to my Elph. With a 4GB or 8GB card, it doesn't matter if one or two gigabytes are devoted to music files, that won't seriously impact the number of photos I can take over several days. Happy to pay someone for the convenience of using my Elph as an MP3 player!

Offline adcz

• Canon S5 | Before Thou Smiteth Me, Readeth Sig
    • OSFlower
« Reply #12 on: 29 / May / 2008, 18:30:30 »
Hmm I would totally love an MP3 option. Don't really carry  an MP3 player around a lot, but my S5 goes everywhere with me, to school, outside, even to the Bathroom if its a public place :P. And I can't count the # of times people asked me, do you have that song on you? And I think to myself, at home...but what good is that gonna do :P

I don't really think reading/encoding to mp3 is hard to do on a camera. my s5 takes voice memos, not sure which format, but it is good enough. I don't mind converting my collection to wma or that realplayer one...there should be a folder in CHDK called /MUSIC and then a little song sorter (like on the ipods) which can list songs by name, album, artist, length, # of times played, Favorites, occasion (yeah I play different songs on different occasions :P), etc. If they ever develop that onscreen kbd it would go nicely with the player.
Email me at adz@jewc.org for questions/comments/etc or aim me at adzempire!
---
STOP!! Before thou smiteth me, please PM me the reason! . Criticism = bad, constructive criticism = good.

If you wanna applaud, no reason necessary, I know I'm wonderful :P

Offline RaduP

« Reply #13 on: 27 / June / 2008, 12:10:35 »
From a programming point of view, this should be doable, because there are a lot of open source MP3 players. The question is if the camera's CPU is fast enough. I think you will need something like 64Mhz or so to get a good quality MP3 player. Does anyone know the clock of the Canon cameras?

Offline adcz

• Canon S5 | Before Thou Smiteth Me, Readeth Sig
    • OSFlower
« Reply #14 on: 27 / June / 2008, 13:38:09 »
From a programming point of view, this should be doable, because there are a lot of open source MP3 players. The question is if the camera's CPU is fast enough. I think you will need something like 64Mhz or so to get a good quality MP3 player. Does anyone know the clock of the Canon cameras?

Well think about it...a camera processor has to read the sensor information add effects, compress it, etc in less than a second. We are working with huge amounts of data (10 MB or data per pic compared to 300 KB of an MP3....) I think camera processors are more than enough

Another thing...the Canon S5 can already record/play wma files (or some other format). If if can do that I think it can do mp3s. Besides, even if it cannot...I don't mind converting my tiny music collection :)
« Last Edit: 27 / June / 2008, 13:40:21 by adcz »
Email me at adz@jewc.org for questions/comments/etc or aim me at adzempire!
---
STOP!! Before thou smiteth me, please PM me the reason! . Criticism = bad, constructive criticism = good.

If you wanna applaud, no reason necessary, I know I'm wonderful :P

Offline RaduP

« Reply #15 on: 27 / June / 2008, 13:48:25 »
Sure, but is it the main CPU that does that, or is it done by some specialized chips that only do those things?

Offline LjL

• A720IS
« Reply #16 on: 06 / July / 2008, 14:24:43 »
The heavy duty processing is done by the DIG!C chip, but the main processor is an ARM that most likely does 200MHz or so, enough for MP3...

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #17 on: 07 / July / 2008, 03:50:52 »
@LjL

all IDA dumps I've looked at so far (40+) contain the following strings:

LClock=72MHz
LClock=36MHz
LClock=18MHz
HClock=72MHz
HClock=36MHz
HClock=18MHz
MClock=72MHz
MClock=36MHz
MClock=18MHz

so I think 200 MHz is on the optimistic side ...

wim

Offline LjL

• A720IS
« Reply #18 on: 07 / July / 2008, 08:50:02 »
Ah, well... I'm familiar with ARM processors from other devices, which all tend to be clocked at around 200MHz.

Anyway, I also have a Psion 5mx with a 36MHz ARM processor; it can play MP3 at 8Khz, 8 bit (that's also a soundcard limitation), probably no more than 64Kbps or so, but I'm not really sure. I don't even remember if the thing used to be open-source... it's a bit lost in cyberspace now. The names to search for are "ENoteM" and "EPlayM", anyway, developed by Alexander Zavorine (who doesn't seem to have a website anymore).

« Reply #19 on: 07 / July / 2008, 12:31:40 »
FWIW,

My TX-1's record and playback *.wav files at 44-, 22-, and 11-kHz up to the full capacity of the SDHC card. An 8GB card indicates 120 minutes recording available at 44.1 kHz, 16-bit, stereo - which is CD quality audio.

HTH,
« Last Edit: 07 / July / 2008, 12:33:20 by cybercom »
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

<")%%%><<