Worked Once, then No - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum

Worked Once, then No

• 4 Replies
Worked Once, then No
« on: 14 / August / 2008, 16:48:39 »
Advertisements
Most of the help stuff here applies to people running Windows.  I'm on a Mac.  This is what I did and what happened. I'm hoping someone will be kind enough to explain what is going on.

1) Copied the files diskboot.bin and ps.fir (allbest, 4/11//08) from my Mac to a 4GB SD card.
2) Put the card in my Powershot A630 and powered on in playback mode.
3)Pressed display and set to get "firmware v. 1.0.0.0" screen and clicked OK
4)Pressed the Menu button and got "firm update" & followed up appropriately.
5) used the setting to enable RAW
6) took a few RAW photos
7) went to the Debug Menu to make the card bootable
8) removed the card and put tab in locked position
9) put card back in camera
10) turned camera back on and got a card locked message.  Camera would not take photos
11) took card out, unlocked card, put it back in
12) turned camera back on.  CHDK NOT loaded.  Menu button pressed and "firm update" does not show.

TWO OTHER INCIDENTAL THINGS:

A) After all of this, when I put my card into a card reader and connected it to my Mac, the volume showed on my desk top as "KO NAME", whereas it had originally been "NO NAME".  This kind of strange, since I did not rename it myself

B) The RAW files I took with the camera would not open with the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw (4.5) in either Photoshop CS3 or Lightroom 2.0.

I believe I was following the instructions properly.  Is this worth the trouble if I can't even open the files, assuming I can ever get this programto load properly?

Offline reyalp

Re: Worked Once, then No
« Reply #1 on: 14 / August / 2008, 17:09:58 »
As stated in many places, CHDK "CRW" files are NOT the same as other canon CRW files. They are just a raw dump of the sensor date. There are several programs which can convert them into more common formats.

See Difference between Canon CRW and CHDK CRW?

Not sure about the other problems.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline Hacki

• EOS 80D
« Reply #2 on: 14 / August / 2008, 18:24:30 »
3)Pressed display and set to get "firmware v. 1.0.0.0" screen and clicked OK

Just out of curiosity: Why did you do that? The "right" firmware version string can be obtained like this: FAQ - CHDK Wiki

A) After all of this, when I put my card into a card reader and connected it to my Mac, the volume showed on my desk top as "KO NAME", whereas it had originally been "NO NAME".  This kind of strange, since I did not rename it myself

Thats odd! The disklable for cards formatted inside cameras is "CANON_DC". Making the card bootable is actually just changing some bits starting at hex offset 0x40 on the card (overwrite them with BOOTDISK) (see here: Bootable SD card - CHDK Wiki)

B) The RAW files I took with the camera would not open with the latest version of Adobe Camera Raw (4.5) in either Photoshop CS3 or Lightroom 2.0.

As reyalp said: The CHDK raws are "raw" raws - theres no metadata added, its the plain data from the image sensor.
You could use dng4ps2 to convert the raws to DNG format before processing further, it can automatically add the metadata from the matching jpeg.

I'd try this:
1.) Do a low-level format inside the camera
2.) Make the card bootable with you Mac
3.) Put the diskboot.bin & ps.fir on it

Is this worth the trouble if I can't even open the files, assuming I can ever get this programto load properly?

Thats for you to decide. CHDK ships plenty of features, and even though i dont save RAWs (way too slow for my taste), i wouldnt want to miss it.

« Reply #3 on: 14 / August / 2008, 19:43:40 »
re the firmware thing -- I did that following the instructions in a readme file which came with the Juciphox build of CHDK (I downloaded a bunch of builds, and that was the only one with instructions)

re the volume name -- I was using a new SD card, so it had whatever format it shipped with.  I'll try your approach and start over again after reformatting it in camera.

I've found that Raw Developer can open the files on a Mac, but there is weird output -- after making your adjustments in RD and saving the file as a TIF, when you open the file in Photoshop it has an extreme green cast to it (like you layed a green jell over the photo).  If you have some decent neutral point of reference in the shot it corrects up pretty well using Levels.  If I get this working again I'll be checking out the utility for converting CHDK raw to DNG.

Offline GrAnd

• [A610, S3IS]
    • CHDK
« Reply #4 on: 15 / August / 2008, 06:38:08 »
4GB...
put tab in locked position, put card back in camera, turned camera back on and got a card locked message...
"KO NAME"...
Seems your card is formatted as FAT32. For autoload feature you have to reformat it as FAT16.
CHDK Developer.