how to over ride shutter settings - page 2 - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum

how to over ride shutter settings

• 17 Replies
Re: how to over ride shutter settings
« Reply #10 on: 19 / August / 2008, 15:33:19 »
Advertisements
I'm not sure what you guys mean by set_prop or prop cases.
Could you explain a little bit more about them and where/how to get them?

Thank you.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #11 on: 19 / August / 2008, 18:52:33 »
I'm not sure what you guys mean by set_prop or prop cases.
Could you explain a little bit more about them and where/how to get them?

http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/UBASIC/propertyCaseUse
http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/PropertyCase

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #12 on: 19 / August / 2008, 19:25:47 »
Here's a small script for changing the flash intensity on cameras which normaly haven't such a possibility (e.g. the IXUS series...).

It's tested with a Ixus 860is (SD860) with Digic III ProperySet...

Code: (sdlbasic) [Select]
@title Flash intensity
rem Author: fe50 2008-08-19
rem Digic III propset
@param a 121 Adjust mode 0=Auto 1=Man
@default a 1
rem If Mode = 1 (Manual), the Intensity (=Output) can be 0 (low), 1 (medium) & 2 (strong flash)
@param c 141 Output [0,1,2] (if 121=1)
@default c 0

print "Set Mode to: ";a
set_prop 121 a
print "Set Output to: ";c
set_prop 141 c
sleep 3000
shoot

print "Mode is now: ";get_prop 121
print "Output is now: ";get_prop 141
rem The flash setting is active until a camera setting or the dial mode is changed
end

*EDIT: For SD450 with Digic II Properties change "121" to "15" and "141" to "29"  everywhere in the script !

How to use it:

-> Set up all your settings, e.g. 1/100k Ev, flash on etc.
-> load the script, leave ALT-mode with PRINT
-> position the cam, enter ALT-mode with PRINT
-> start the script with the shutter

The script waits 3 seconds, sets the flash to the lowest intensity (2nd parameter) & shoots...

Once fired, you can leave the ALT-mode and shoot "normally" with the shutter, the flash intensity setting is active until a camera setting or the dial mode is changed (e.g. switching to play mode & back to record mode)...
« Last Edit: 19 / August / 2008, 19:33:30 by fe50 »

« Reply #13 on: 19 / August / 2008, 21:14:28 »
So I got the flash script to work but I ended up also covering it with some toilet paper to make everything look ok. I then took a bunch of pictures and almost all of them were out of focus. I don't think my camera has a built in auto focus option is there a script for that? Or do I have to just keep trying and hope I get one that's in focus?

Thanks for all your help!

~KB

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #14 on: 20 / August / 2008, 02:03:20 »
the autofocus is too slow to focus on a drip of water!
you have to set manual focus first, for example by placing your hand in the location a falling drop will be and focus on that.

Offline fe50

• fe50
« Reply #15 on: 20 / August / 2008, 19:12:03 »
So I got the flash script to work but I ended up also covering it with some toilet paper to make everything look ok. I then took a bunch of pictures and almost all of them were out of focus. I don't think my camera has a built in auto focus option is there a script for that? Or do I have to just keep trying and hope I get one that's in focus?

On SD450 you should use the manual mode, try to focus something in the same distance, as PhyrePhoX mentioned...you can also set the focus distance manually:

Set the "Override Subj.Dist.Value" in combination with the "Value factor (mm)" to the distance you want,
eg. Value factor=10 and ..Dist.Value=20 set the focusing distance to 10mm * 20 = 200mm = 20cm distance...

Another possibility: manual focusing with the shortcuts described here: CHDK_firmware_usage/AllBest - New Special Short-cut Keys.

« Reply #16 on: 15 / January / 2009, 18:16:44 »
Here's a small script for changing the flash intensity on cameras which normaly haven't such a possibility (e.g. the IXUS series...).

It's tested with a Ixus 860is (SD860) with Digic III ProperySet...

Code: (sdlbasic) [Select]
@title Flash intensity
rem Author: fe50 2008-08-19
rem Digic III propset
@param a 121 Adjust mode 0=Auto 1=Man
@default a 1
rem If Mode = 1 (Manual), the Intensity (=Output) can be 0 (low), 1 (medium) & 2 (strong flash)
@param c 141 Output [0,1,2] (if 121=1)
@default c 0

print "Set Mode to: ";a
set_prop 121 a
print "Set Output to: ";c
set_prop 141 c
sleep 3000
shoot

print "Mode is now: ";get_prop 121
print "Output is now: ";get_prop 141
rem The flash setting is active until a camera setting or the dial mode is changed
end

*EDIT: For SD450 with Digic II Properties change "121" to "15" and "141" to "29"  everywhere in the script !

How to use it:

-> Set up all your settings, e.g. 1/100k Ev, flash on etc.
-> load the script, leave ALT-mode with PRINT
-> position the cam, enter ALT-mode with PRINT
-> start the script with the shutter

The script waits 3 seconds, sets the flash to the lowest intensity (2nd parameter) & shoots...

Once fired, you can leave the ALT-mode and shoot "normally" with the shutter, the flash intensity setting is active until a camera setting or the dial mode is changed (e.g. switching to play mode & back to record mode)...

Fe50, this script of yours I found hidden in this post is fantastic and very useful.  I would recommend putting it on the main CHDK Script page.  It has helped solved a lot of the problems with ultra-fast photography.

This probably goes for a number of great scripts that are 'hidden' in the forum and would be of great benefit to many if they were more easily found.  Another example was the mdCCTV script I found recently, although I can't remember who wrote that one.

Cheers
IXUS 70 (SD1000)
Powershot G9

Offline fe50

• fe50
« Reply #17 on: 16 / January / 2009, 05:13:41 »
Fe50, this script of yours I found hidden in this post is fantastic and very useful.  I would recommend putting it on the main CHDK Script page.  It has helped solved a lot of the problems with ultra-fast photography.

This probably goes for a number of great scripts that are 'hidden' in the forum and would be of great benefit to many if they were more easily found.  Another example was the mdCCTV script I found recently, although I can't remember who wrote that one.

Thanks Bellsy1000,
it's only a small sample script i've posted long ago to demonstrate how to control the flash...feel free to use it in any way you want  8)