Night-time time-lapse

• 80 Replies

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
Night-time time-lapse
« on: 19 / August / 2008, 04:32:01 »
Advertisements
This script is used to shoot time-lapses that extend from day to night and viceversa.

Current version: 14
Requires the collaborative CHDK build ( the collaborative CHDK build )

Enclosed files:
set_14.zip: Script (run set_b_14.lua)
set_14.pdf: Usage instructions (work in progress)
« Last Edit: 19 / August / 2008, 04:39:14 by fbonomi »

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
Re: Night-time time-lapse
« Reply #1 on: 19 / August / 2008, 04:32:24 »
After several weeks of work, this is the new version of my Timelapse with variable shutter speed

Completely rewritten in Lua, it now supports sunset and dawn, and is rather good in adjustments.

You can find an example here:
all-night timelapse (boring, test 11)

It's a very boring setting (no clouds, no lights, nothing to see), but it's just to test a full-night movie, with transitions from day to night and vice-versa.
(sub-sampled to 392 frames of the 1960 original frames)

I am quite satisfied of the results, the night is rather dark but that is what I specified in the settings.

You have three .lua files

set_b_14.lua : the main script (the one you have to execute)
fb-lib.lua : a library of useful LUA functions
dummy.lua : an empty file (see below)

dummy.lua is useful to check the syntax of the scripts before copying them in the camera with a standard compiled Lua.
On my PC I have a different dummy.lua that defines variables and functions that are not available in the standard Lua.
You can run lua.exe set_b_14.lua and see if the syntax is ok (of course, the processing will be meaningless but the important is not to receive errors)

This is the dummy.lua version I have on my PC
Code: [Select]
-- dummy library for PC

function sleep(n)
 x=n
end

function print_screen(n)
 x=n
end

function get_tick_count(s)
 return 100
end

function press(s)
 x=n
end

function shoot(s)
 x=n
end

function shot_histo_enable(s)
 x=n
end

function  get_histo_range(n1,n2)
 return 100
end

function set_tv96_direct(n)
 x=n
end

function set_bv96(n)
 x=n
end

function set_sv96(n)
 x=n
end

function get_bv96()
 return 0
end

function get_av96()
 return 0
end

function press(n)
 x=n
end

function release(n)
 x=n
end

function get_day_seconds()
 return 80000
end

function shutdown()
end

a=0
 b=0
 c=0
 d=0
 e=0
 f=0
 g=0
 h=0
 i=0
 j=0
 k=0
 l=0
 m=0
 n=0
 o=0
 p=0
 q=0
 r=0
 s=0
 t=0
 v=0
 w=0
 x=0
 y=0
 z=0

« Last Edit: 19 / August / 2008, 04:51:02 by fbonomi »

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #2 on: 20 / August / 2008, 12:49:59 »
I ran this on Juciphox 488 (a570is 1.00e) last night and after about 298 frames and 3 hours it stopped to an error: "not enough memory PRESS SHUTTER TO CLOSE" (at least that's what the log says, the battery had exhausted by morning).

I used parameters 34 15 1 8, others defaults.

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
« Reply #3 on: 20 / August / 2008, 13:26:04 »
That's VERY strange!!!

The "not enough memory" part comes from ldo.c or lstate.c (files regarding Lua)
The "PRESS SHUTTER TO CLOSE" part comes from kbd.c, in a part relating to Lua

I guess there must be some memory leak, probably in Lua.

I have gone up to almost 2000 shots without errors (a570 1.01A, build 463). So, the configuration is very similar but not identical....

My camera is busy running another timelapse, later tonight I will try to use build 488 on my camera, and see if it crashes similarly.

thanks for letting me know!

EDIT:
last night's test here:
nighttime timelapse (test 12)

There are some "flashes" in luminosity, visible mainly in the artificial lights. I am enclosing two onsecutive frames. taken theoretically with the same exposure.

Actually, it's not luminosity, there are a few frames that are slightly out of focus, even if I said "manual focus to infinity" (and the script set focus too) . ... GR!!!

You can see the difference in the strong light at the bottom left (more faded in frame 783) and in the strong star (actually, Jupiter) that being slightly out of focus appears larger...

It seems this camera isn't able to keep an exact focus...
« Last Edit: 20 / August / 2008, 13:51:40 by fbonomi »

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #4 on: 20 / August / 2008, 15:35:18 »
Actually, it's not luminosity, there are a few frames that are slightly out of focus, even if I said "manual focus to infinity" (and the script set focus too) . ... GR!!!

You can see the difference in the strong light at the bottom left (more faded in frame 783) and in the strong star (actually, Jupiter) that being slightly out of focus appears larger...

It seems this camera isn't able to keep an exact focus...

Hmmm now that you said this... only about three of the 300 images from last night two are in focus (inf), all others are badly out of focus. I didn't mention this before because I thought I just forgot to set it to manual focus the one last time before I actually started the script for good... now I'm thinking maybe it just failed?

Actually one other thing I noticed but didn't recheck... juciphox defaults to "save script params" = Off (Why?...this is different from trunk behavior). Well I checked this option and then fiddled with script parameters and turned off the camera. I didn't run the script. Then after booting the camera, my settings were reset to defaults. Only after setting the parameters for the second time they were saved.

Oh and does lua look for libs from anywhere but chdk/scripts? I don't want libraries there causing clutter.

Offline Jucifer

• [A710IS]
« Reply #5 on: 20 / August / 2008, 15:51:01 »
Oh and does lua look for libs from anywhere but chdk/scripts? I don't want libraries there causing clutter.

I think Lua looks for libs also from chdk/lualib...

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
« Reply #6 on: 20 / August / 2008, 16:15:12 »
Hmmm now that you said this... only about three of the 300 images from last night two are in focus (inf), all others are badly out of focus.

Well, setting focus manually should keep it until you change it, but as my camera's focus was floating I thought it wouldbe better to add a set_focus(65535) to set it to infinity. Maybe in your case removing those instructions will help (?)

I have another a570 to test tonight, and I want to see both problems on this otehr camera.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #7 on: 20 / August / 2008, 16:39:02 »
Btw, If I really did set the focus, I did it by putting the camera in manual focus and then doing the alt-up MF mode CHDK override shortcut trick. If I did it :P

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #8 on: 20 / August / 2008, 16:52:43 »

I think Lua looks for libs also from chdk/lualib...

@fudgey/Jucifer:

...some days ago i started the wikia LUA documentation: LUA_Syntax_short_manual...

Libraries

Libraries are standard LUA scripts placed either in CHDK\SCRIPTS or CHDK\LUALIB, called within a script with

Code: [Select]
require "libname"where libname is the filename of the library file without '.lua' suffix.
This means one can create a library of functions and recycle this lib in scripts with a call to require "libname".

Library files were first searched from CHDK/SCRIPTS, and then if not found, from CHDK/LUALIB; if a file with the required name is available in both folders, the one from the first folder (CHDK\SCRIPTS) is used.

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
« Reply #9 on: 20 / August / 2008, 17:01:16 »
I might be able to test if there is a memory leak.

in gui.c, at line 2745 there is gui_show_memory_info() that could be re-used...