Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
Re: Night-time time-lapse
« Reply #10 on: 21 / August / 2008, 01:58:17 »
Advertisements
!!! maybe the cause of our focusing problems is here:
display turn off
If display is off, manual focus is disabled!!!
This is probably confirmed by the fact that the really out-of focus frames were the ones shot in the dark

On the other hand, I did a test with another a570IS and it focuses MUCH better than mine, even with display off.
Maybe they both switch to autofocus, but the other one is just better at autofocusing..
« Last Edit: 21 / August / 2008, 02:03:56 by fbonomi »

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #11 on: 21 / August / 2008, 02:19:08 »
Ahh... yes I had display off of course... will have to use a video plug from now on for that too.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #12 on: 21 / August / 2008, 08:57:31 »
Actually one other thing I noticed but didn't recheck... juciphox defaults to "save script params" = Off (Why?...this is different from trunk behavior). Well I checked this option and then fiddled with script parameters and turned off the camera. I didn't run the script. Then after booting the camera, my settings were reset to defaults. Only after setting the parameters for the second time they were saved.
actually the ability to save the params never was in trunk!? this feature was added in juciphox by cyril42e if i'm not mistaken. I then recently added the switch (it was always enabled before) and set it to default off, as people were having problems with it.

« Reply #13 on: 21 / August / 2008, 09:21:19 »
If it can help I have just posted about 'turning off lcd'and keeping focus:
http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,1734.msg20212.html#msg20212

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #14 on: 21 / August / 2008, 09:45:28 »
actually the ability to save the params never was in trunk!? this feature was added in juciphox by cyril42e if i'm not mistaken. I then recently added the switch (it was always enabled before) and set it to default off, as people were having problems with it.

No not quite... the ability NOT to save the params has never been in trunk, which was my point... juciphox defaults to the opposite (if you mean juciphox can save params of inactive, not currently loaded scripts and recall them when they are reloaded, that's a different thing).

But someone should confirm if that reluctant-to-obey-the-switch behavior is real, because it would be a bug, wouldn't it?

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #15 on: 21 / August / 2008, 15:27:47 »
I ran this on Juciphox 488 (a570is 1.00e) last night and after about 298 frames and 3 hours it stopped to an error: "not enough memory PRESS SHUTTER TO CLOSE" (at least that's what the log says, the battery had exhausted by morning).

I used parameters 34 15 1 8, others defaults.

I'm happy to say that this is fully repeatable behavior on my camera...  :-X

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
« Reply #16 on: 21 / August / 2008, 17:31:46 »
I am starting now a run with build 488 to see if the problem appears to me too,

EDIT: actually no, I am starting a run with build 491 :-)

« Last Edit: 21 / August / 2008, 17:34:00 by fbonomi »

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #17 on: 21 / August / 2008, 18:51:02 »
sorry fudgey, you are absolutely right - my bad. just checked it, it is true: saving params (for a single script) automatically was done in the trunk (settings retained even after reboot).
But i had to introduce the switch to disable it in branch because the saving (the EXTENDED saving, meaning: several scripts settings, even whole sets of settings) was/is faulty.
okay, i will need to introduce a better switch - or someone else finds out whats wrong with the "extended" saving.

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
« Reply #18 on: 22 / August / 2008, 02:44:05 »

It ran ok all night (740 shots) in my test. A570 IS 1.01A build 491

does anybody have the build 488 for a570 1.01 for me to test?

Also, could you please test again with build 491?

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #19 on: 22 / August / 2008, 03:11:05 »

It ran ok all night (740 shots) in my test. A570 IS 1.01A build 491

does anybody have the build 488 for a570 1.01 for me to test?

Also, could you please test again with build 491?

Hm well I've almost given up on this version of the script... this time it did a lot of weird things. I restarted it twice last night. First one due to the crash, second one most likely due to battery low, third time it probably to battery low as well since the log file just ends to "Frame 344 taken at 03:15:36".

So it didn't crash to mem full that last time.

This time I used MF without CHDK shortcut and a video plug. I zoomed in some, but forgot to zoom in after changing the batteries. So, I have 3 sets of images.

The first set seems ok (white balance is no good but that's not the script's fault), although it started with severe overexposure and then adjusted to a better exposure gradually (M mode settings were set for proper exposure at startup for this first set). It was not dark yet when I started it the first time.

The second set started when it was dark already. It took a few shots to increase exposure and when after it did that, it went berserk. One shot underexposed, one shot properly exposed, one shot underexposed etc etc, sometimes a few proper shots in a row. Also, the second set was entirely out of focus. It was windy so trees should be blurry, but buildings aren't in focus either.

For the third set I forgot to zoom in. Focus is OK. For an hour or two it seems to have worked perfectly, then it took a a couple few severely underexposed shots between good ones and then it started to toggle between good and bad shots like in the second set.