Night-time time-lapse - page 6 - Completed and Working Scripts - CHDK Forum

Night-time time-lapse

• 80 Replies
Re: Night-time time-lapse
« Reply #50 on: 06 / November / 2008, 16:50:14 »
Advertisements
 I finally got to test the SunsetF15 script and it crashes the camera.  I tried to figure out why and remed out
    -- force manual focus (does this work?)
  --set_prop(propcase.FOCUS_MODE,1)
    -- disable IS (dunno if this works either)
  --set_prop(propcase.IS_MODE,3)
    -- use widest available aperture (I'm assuming that cameras that don't have an aperture won't respond to this in any way)
  --set_prop(propcase.USER_AV,get_prop(propcase.MIN_AV))
    -- disable flash
  --set_prop(propcase.FLASH_MODE,2)
Doing so lets my S2 go though one loop before it crashes out.  Adding extra sleep commands in the next section of code doesn't help.  Does anyone have any thoughts on this problem?

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #51 on: 06 / November / 2008, 17:08:25 »
Not much I'm afraid... Did fbonomi's sunset14 work for you? First, make sure you are using the very latest build of CHDK. And make sure your flash is disabled and Ae lock not active.

Then, try to figure out if it could be lack of RAM. You could try removing (hmm...does lua loader skip loading comment lines to RAM?) all "log.print" lines and require "f-log" too.

« Reply #52 on: 06 / November / 2008, 22:46:43 »
  Fbonomi's sunset14 did not work at first.  TheJez opened a post http://chdk.setepontos.com/index.php/topic,2483.0.html that shared my same problems.  Reyalp fixed the problem with a build  that made it into the trunk.  I'm now using build 544 on my main two cards with 552 on a smaller card.  Build 552 has 1,117,420 bytes free with chdk taking 309,472 bytes.
  Both builds will crash the camera to power down just after getting exposure with the original sunset15 script.  After I remed out the first code bits, the camera will then take one full loop and displaying frame count, remaining time and frames.  When starting the second loop, the camera will crash out just after getting exposure.  No change happened after reming out the log.print lines The log file is also empty.  When I went to build 544 I did test the LLIBTST.LUA script and it worked with out a problem.
  I do appreciate the help.
« Last Edit: 07 / November / 2008, 01:43:32 by Robsingle »

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #53 on: 08 / November / 2008, 10:04:33 »
It's natural that the log file is empty if the camera crashes since it never gets to do the actual writing part (the script doesn't flush).

You'll have to try and pinpoint what's offending your camera. I'd start by continuing with what you started i.e. commenting out things until the script doesn't crash. The next step would be the entire shoot process in between the following lines:
  -- Shoot: Half press and wait until camera is ready
and
  -- calculate the night exposure correction, based on last shot taken

If that fixes it (it won't shoot, obviously), I'd try replacing it with "shoot()" and if it still works, try to figure out what's the problem with the shooting part. That part I'd start with verifying that all the propcasesthat are being used by the script are actually valid for the S2.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #54 on: 08 / November / 2008, 10:14:30 »
are you by any chance not using the "complete" build?

« Reply #55 on: 08 / November / 2008, 14:10:36 »
 PhyrePhoX:  It's always a complete build on a freshly cleaned card.  I learned that lesson a while ago when I updated only   diskboot and ps.fir and then running into problems.
 fudgey: I'll start on that.  Looking at sunset14 should help somewhat, right?

Thankyou

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #56 on: 08 / November / 2008, 14:38:41 »
Yes.. the two major differences I see as possible sources for incompatibilities are the entire shoot process (shoot() vs half-shoot--shootstate & set_prop--full-shoot--shootstate structure) and the use of io functions.

« Reply #57 on: 08 / November / 2008, 19:44:36 »
Here's an update.  I placed the entire shoot code from sunset14 and the script work first time out.  I took it back out and brought back the original code line by line.  The code that gave me the problem is  set_focus(subjdist).  Unfortunately I'm not a programmer so I'm stuck.  How important is it and how would I fix it?

Offline fbonomi

• A570IS SD1100/Ixus80
    • Francesco Bonomi
« Reply #58 on: 09 / November / 2008, 00:29:47 »
that line manually sets the focus. it's not important, if in the frame you have some strong light (a street lamp, for example) that will help the camera focus.

if otherwise the frame is pitch dark (only stars and very far away lights) then in full night the camera won't see enough to focus and some shots will be blurred. in this case the solution is to manually focus to infinite, leave the display on and place a jack in the AV plug to turn display off. I.e. do not use the camera's "display" button to turn the display off, as that disactivates manual focusing.

« Reply #59 on: 09 / November / 2008, 03:43:28 »
Another update.  For some reason I kept looking at the problem and using examples for help.  I found that if  set_focus(subjdist)  was replaced with  set_focus=subjdist  , the script works as planed.  I quickly tested the auto focus, MF lock and both with the script set to inf lock with no problems in any case. I need to try it with some good day light to really see what the focus is doing.   Hopefully this will help someone in a similar situation.  Thank you for all your help.