ixus90/sd790 IS porting - page 29 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

ixus90/sd790 IS porting

• 331 Replies
Re: ixus90/sd790 IS porting
« Reply #280 on: 21 / January / 2010, 11:37:45 »
Advertisements
Hello everyone.  I'm using the 1.00d firmware and had no problem getting it loaded onto my SD790 IS.  My goal is basically to learn more about HDR photography without splurging on a DSLR and CHDK has made that a reality!  Thank you to everyone who's worked on getting it running on this hardware.

I've been using the bracketing script and have run into some issues.  I am unsure if they are firmware or script related but I don't see any documentation of experimentation with CHDK, the script, and the SD790 IS.

As instructed I made the replacements for Digic III processors.  In order for the script to work I found I need to enter continuous shot mode--I'm unsure if this is an intended aspect of the script--and once set, I'm similarly unsure of how the number of continuous shots affects the behavior of the script execution.

I've been able to produce a few HDR composites and they look great, I'm just interested in making things easier for myself and any other SD790 IS users who are looking to experiment similarly.

Finally, I'm new to digital photography (apart from any previous P&S experiences).  If anyone has suggested reading or links as to how I can manage RAW files (dng4ps2 doesn't have a SD790 IS profile!) I'd appreciate it (although I just downloaded Picasa).

Thank you again for the hard work and ingenuity (and apologies for the lengthy post).
« Last Edit: 21 / January / 2010, 12:15:53 by gordian »

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #281 on: 21 / January / 2010, 15:19:24 »
Hello & welcome, gordian !

I'm just interested in making things easier for myself and any other SD790 IS users who are looking to experiment similarly.
You can do the bracketing without a script, just setup things in the CHDK menu & use the continuous mode or better the custom timer...
--> Scriptless Tv bracketing

If anyone has suggested reading or links as to how I can manage RAW files (dng4ps2 doesn't have a SD790 IS profile!) I'd appreciate it (although I just downloaded Picasa).
You can enable the CHDK DNG support, most apps understand the DNG format..
--> Enable DNG support

*Edit:
See also CHDK wikia: Software (try Rawterapee / dcraw based apps)...
« Last Edit: 21 / January / 2010, 15:21:27 by fe50 »

« Reply #282 on: 22 / January / 2010, 12:11:58 »
You can do the bracketing without a script, just setup things in the CHDK menu & use the continuous mode or better the custom timer...
--> Scriptless Tv bracketing
Excellent!  Thank you so much--this is a huge help and has much more predictable behavior.  Thank you again for all the hard work and know-how that went into this.

« Reply #283 on: 24 / January / 2010, 15:06:12 »
On video recordings with the SD790, is the 1x bitrate setting supposed to be close to Canon's default? For me, it isn't - it's extremely blocky. I can provide a sample if you wish.

Update: Oops, ignore me. The default setting is just a bunch more blocky than the standard Canon one. I must say, I do like the 1% video quality setting ...
« Last Edit: 30 / January / 2010, 08:47:14 by scruss »

« Reply #284 on: 25 / January / 2010, 08:11:38 »
I spent quite some time to push forward the port for the Ixus 90 1.00d, because I own it myself  8)
Now I also had a quick look at the other known firmware versions.

1.00c showed minimal differences and some minimal shifted address areas.
I tried to adapt the necessary code, but obviously can not test it.
If anybody can give some positive feedback this firmware version could be added to the CHDK trunk.
I have a 1.00c that I'll test your build with. What exactly do I need to test?

Edit: It's loaded and working. I'll fool around over the next couple of days, but is there anything specific that I should look for?
« Last Edit: 25 / January / 2010, 11:09:15 by Tophatter »

« Reply #285 on: 27 / January / 2010, 14:58:59 »

1.00c showed minimal differences and some minimal shifted address areas.
I tried to adapt the necessary code, but obviously can not test it.
If anybody can give some positive feedback this firmware version could be added to the CHDK trunk.

Kind regards

I was able to load the firmware to my camera (1.00c) and was able to navigate around the CHDK menu. However, every time I went to take a picture, the camera would freeze up and it the light would just keep blinking.

Offline ehmu

• Ixus 90-1.00d
« Reply #286 on: 28 / January / 2010, 17:52:41 »
1.00d
My recent changes:
- fixed a bug with dark frame subtraction (nrflag was incorrect)
- improved USB remote support
- cosmetic changes (I hope patch verification is not too confusing)

I think it's good to add it to the trunk.

Offline ehmu

• Ixus 90-1.00d
« Reply #287 on: 28 / January / 2010, 18:05:01 »
1.00c
The new binary contains my last improvements for 1.00d (dark frame, USB)

However, every time I went to take a picture, the camera would freeze up and it the light would just keep blinking.
Hmm. Which color is blinking? How long? Is save RAW active? Any other CHDK overrides active (usually in red color in the top left corner)? Do you have to turn off and on or remove the battery?

I'll fool around over the next couple of days, but is there anything specific that I should look for?
e.g. take a picture  ;)

The changes compared to 1.00d are in:
boot, jogdial (in CHDK and Canon mode), movie overrides (bitrate, quality, change during record), ND filter override, ultra long exposure (>64s),  ..
So it's good to test this.

Thanks for your feedback   :)
« Last Edit: 28 / January / 2010, 18:10:49 by ehmu »

« Reply #288 on: 28 / January / 2010, 18:36:26 »

However, every time I went to take a picture, the camera would freeze up and it the light would just keep blinking.
Hmm. Which color is blinking? How long? Is save RAW active? Any other CHDK overrides active (usually in red color in the top left corner)? Do you have to turn off and on or remove the battery?

It turns out that the override shutter speed got turned on. So it was taking a picture, it was just taking a very long time. I did notice that there is also a 1.00c patch. How do I install that?

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #289 on: 31 / January / 2010, 07:23:53 »
Updated the CHDK trunk with ehmu's latest code: --> changeset #870
- added 1.00c (reply #273)
- corrections for 1.00d (reply #286)
- added 1.00e to the makefile (copy of 1.00d)

The latest binaries are available from the autobuild server, as always...

The autobuild server now serves 3 ixus90_sd790 versions:
  • 1.00c
  • 1.00d
  • 1.00e (where 1.00e is simply a copy of the 1.00d version, it will also report 1.00d in the splash screen / CHDK fw info box)

@ehmu:
Are there any additions/corrections for the 1.00c version ?