ixus90/sd790 IS porting - page 32 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

ixus90/sd790 IS porting

• 331 Replies
Re: ixus90/sd790 IS porting
« Reply #310 on: 24 / May / 2010, 11:23:16 »
Advertisements

PS.   Just an FYI ...  I looked at the EXIF data for the DNG files  in photoshop  CS2 and it correctly identifies the camera as the SD790IS, but the RAW file did not (when I checked them in both PS CS2 and CS3).  Could that possibly explain why various programs are having trouble opening these RAW files? Not sure, since much of this is very mysterious to me,  but at least the DNG files generated by CHDK are identified as coming from our camera, and the files look great.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #311 on: 24 / May / 2010, 23:00:07 »

PS.   Just an FYI ...  I looked at the EXIF data for the DNG files  in photoshop  CS2 and it correctly identifies the camera as the SD790IS, but the RAW file did not (when I checked them in both PS CS2 and CS3).  Could that possibly explain why various programs are having trouble opening these RAW files? Not sure, since much of this is very mysterious to me,  but at least the DNG files generated by CHDK are identified as coming from our camera, and the files look great.
CHDK raw doesn't have any metadata. It's just a dump of the sensor frame buffer. See the sticky threads in the raw forum.

Despite the name, it is not in canon CRW format.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #312 on: 25 / May / 2010, 10:55:03 »
I had read that before, but didn't understand why PS was reporting the image as coming from SX110IS if there is no metadata in the RAW file. Earlier in this thread, someone with a different firmware version than mine had a similar report -- and I believe it was fixed.  It's not a problem for me now that I finally have DNG working. The RAW is pretty much useless to me, but working with the DNG is easy  (The  RAW -> DNG converter software that was recommended did not work for my mac)   I think the advice in the sticky is good, for the most part the jpgs will be fine, but it's worth taking the larger file IN CASE there's an exposure problem that can be fixed using the extra tools available for the DNG. Better to take a good picture from the start, if you can, and not rely on the 'fixes" --but it's good to have a safety net so that we can sometimes salvage an otherwise unusable shot.

Am I correct that the only way to delete these is to unlock the card and do it manually ? The camera can deletes the jpgs,  but the CRW and DNG remain behind.

Also, one other newbie question -- when/if I update the CHDK to a newer version, does it replace all the settings that are currently in place? Will I have to  re-run the badpixel script to reconfigure it to shoot DNG again after the update?

Offline reyalp

« Reply #313 on: 26 / May / 2010, 00:29:57 »
I had read that before, but didn't understand why PS was reporting the image as coming from SX110IS if there is no metadata in the RAW file.
CHDK raw contains no metadata. This is a fact. The code is
Code: [Select]
write(file,raw_buffer_address, raw_buffer_size); That's it. Many of the programs that understand "chdk raw"  guess (using dcraw code mostly) based on file size.
Am I correct that the only way to delete these is to unlock the card and do it manually ? The camera can deletes the jpgs,  but the CRW and DNG remain behind.
With the correct combination of raw prefix and extension, the raw file should be deleted when you delete the jpeg. This may only work if you've rebooted the camera after taking the picture. The "correct" combination is usually something the camera would recognize, e.g. CRW_XXXX.CRW or SND_XXXX.WAV. The camera doesn't know about the DNG extension, so these won't be deleted unless your camera has the "DNG visible over USB" option.

You can also delete files directly from the CHDK file browser, or use the "raw purge". There have been some bugs reported with raw purge.
Also, one other newbie question -- when/if I update the CHDK to a newer version, does it replace all the settings that are currently in place? Will I have to  re-run the badpixel script to reconfigure it to shoot DNG again after the update?
No. Not unless you reformat the card or remove the files from the CHDK directory.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #314 on: 28 / May / 2010, 21:36:10 »
can some1 tell me where is teh lastest file and what i need to put it on my card

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #315 on: 29 / May / 2010, 03:49:44 »
can some1 tell me where is teh lastest file and what i need to put it on my card
From the official CHDK Autobuild Server - as all official CHDK builds ;)

« Reply #316 on: 30 / May / 2010, 10:24:54 »
Irfanview, a free program, will also read the raw files from CHDK.  It is a tremendously useful program that quite a few functions.  Picasa is also a free program that will read the raw files.

« Reply #317 on: 30 / May / 2010, 10:26:48 »
Irfanview, a free program, will also read the raw files from CHDK.  It is a tremendously useful program that has quite a few functions.  Picasa is also a free program that will read the raw files.

This is how that post should have read.

« Reply #318 on: 03 / June / 2010, 00:47:38 »
OK SO I HAV SD790is i just want to set it so that the shutter stays open for 60sec like chdk says it would how do i set it im confuse i try 60 factor 1 and it doesnt work i tried others too can figure it out

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #319 on: 03 / June / 2010, 06:00:14 »
OK SO I HAV SD790is i just want to set it so that the shutter stays open for 60sec like chdk says it would how do i set it im confuse i try 60 factor 1 and it doesnt work i tried others too can figure it out
Reset your CHDK settings to the default ones, then use the following settings:

Extra Photo Operations
   Disable Overrides [Disable]
Override shutter speed [60]
   Value for factor [1]
Shutter speed enum type [Factor]

If the override is active, you'll see  TV:60.00000  on the OSD;
the exposure time will be 60s then - with dark frame subtraction enabled the camera will take the dark frame after capturing the image ("Busy" will be shown on the screen), so the total time will be 120 seconds -> RAW parameters / Darkframe

...also note: when "Clear override values @ start" is enabled (that's the default value), your settings will be cleared when you restart your camera !