A630 remote function issue - General Help and Assistance on using CHDK stable releases - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

A630 remote function issue

• 27 Replies
A630 remote function issue
« on: 31 / August / 2008, 16:50:30 »
Advertisements
Hello,
I just run AllBest on My A630, I set to ON "enable remote (USB)" in script menu. Unfortunately the remote shooting in "camera window" is still unusable. What is wrong ?

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
Re: A630 remote function issue
« Reply #1 on: 31 / August / 2008, 19:21:31 »
Hello & welcome Kikus !

The "enable remote (USB)" in script menu is for the usage with a USB remote cable, described here: CHDK wikia: USB_Remote_Cable.
When "enable remote (USB)" in script menu is active, the camera will not be recognized by the PC...

-> Disable the USB remote in CHDK, then your PC & the software should "see" the camera...
     (If you're using the Juciphox CHDK version the scriptless remote feature there should also be disabled in the CHDK menu)

If this will not work, perhaps this may be helpfull for you: CHDK wikia: FAQ# Why won't my Remote-Capture programs work ?.

« Reply #2 on: 01 / September / 2008, 14:34:35 »
Thank You for answer, but I still have a problem. Maybe I will describe what I wont to do. I have a Powershot A630 with don't support remote shooting. I mean remote shooting as shooting using a computer connected to Powershot by USB cable and software like Canon "Camera window" or "Cam4You remote" I thought that CHDK will add this ability to my camera, but "Cam4You remote" still showing the dialogue that  "Connected camera does not support remote shooting". Am I doing something wrong or this feature is impassible in PS A630 ? Sorry for my English but I hope You know what I mean.
« Last Edit: 01 / September / 2008, 15:01:36 by Kikus »

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #3 on: 01 / September / 2008, 16:12:50 »
CHDK does not add USB functionality (except for remote shutter and some similar simple tasks). Things like USB storage and USB remote capture/webcam operation are very near being the top-1 most requested feature.

« Reply #4 on: 01 / September / 2008, 16:31:27 »
I've seen remotely controled A630 on YouTube (look for "CHDK Canon A630 Serial Remote Control Demo")  so I thought it is possible. You think this is a fake ?

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #5 on: 01 / September / 2008, 16:42:26 »
I believe what you are referring to is a simple extension to the remote shutter, utilized in a script to do more tasks than just a shutter press. It will not communicate with any existing Canon software, and you will not see the camera's viewfinder image or photos on the computer. There's a video that for convenience has movies of the PC screen (running a completely custom piece of software) and the camera's viewfinder overlaid, that may have confused you.

Try searching these forums for more info about that, I don't have the time to search it for you atm.

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #6 on: 02 / September / 2008, 04:42:45 »
As fudgey explained, it's done by the CHDK USB remote feature, with a script which reacts dependent of the duration the USB power signal is active...only for very slow one-way "communication" (PC -> Camera).

The video was posted some time ago in this thread: Serial (RS232) remote control of non-remote-enabled cameras

« Reply #7 on: 02 / September / 2008, 14:45:29 »
Thanks for explanation. Now I wonder, if it would be possible to update A630 firmware with firmware dumped from A640 or A620. I don't think there is a big hardware difference between this models except resolution. I have had software in my cell phone updated this way so I think it should work.     

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #8 on: 02 / September / 2008, 15:33:58 »
Thanks for explanation. Now I wonder, if it would be possible to update A630 firmware with firmware dumped from A640 or A620. I don't think there is a big hardware difference between this models except resolution. I have had software in my cell phone updated this way so I think it should work.     

Unlikely to the extreme.

Offline ewavr

• A710IS
« Reply #9 on: 03 / September / 2008, 17:44:26 »
As fudgey explained, it's done by the CHDK USB remote feature, with a script which reacts dependent of the duration the USB power signal is active...only for very slow one-way "communication" (PC -> Camera).

The video was posted some time ago in this thread: Serial (RS232) remote control of non-remote-enabled cameras
Now very experimental  USB remote capture is working on A710.
Video (captured from video-out) - camera keyboard emulation from PC keyboard .
Transfer is bidirectional and very slow (several kbytes/s), therefore no live image and image files transfer...