A590IS Porting, who's with me? - page 2 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

A590IS Porting, who's with me?

• 65 Replies
Re: A590IS Porting, who's with me?
« Reply #10 on: 05 / September / 2008, 17:48:21 »
Advertisements
fudgey is a true HERO member, he just gave us the comletely disassembled version of BOTH firmwares (b+e) thank you, you saved me a lot of work, are you currently porting the A590IS ?

I'll start tomorrow with the thoughts about how to port it, i'm also going to pick my A590IS up tomorrow, so i can test everything.

@x286 sorry I meant b not a.

Offline fudgey

• a570is
« Reply #11 on: 06 / September / 2008, 04:14:30 »
are you currently porting the A590IS ?

No... just figured you needed some help getting started with cleaning the dumps and getting a disassembly. That only took a few minutes really (using the gpl toolset, see wiki). Anyway, if the IDA scripts are better at finding signatures than the signature finder in tools/, then you're probably going to want to use IDA for porting. I don't have IDA so can't really tell.

Offline kofola

• A590IS 1.01B+CHDK
« Reply #12 on: 06 / September / 2008, 16:29:06 »
Good work friends!  8)

Offline GreenReaper

• Rambling norn
    • GreenReaper Studios
« Reply #13 on: 12 / September / 2008, 21:17:14 »
If anyone's interested in helping out but doesn't have a camera, there's an offer of a free A590 IS with a successful Discover card application (full details).
« Last Edit: 12 / September / 2008, 21:19:04 by GreenReaper »
Laurence "GreenReaper" Parry
GreenReaper Studios - WikiFur - Creatures Wiki

Offline x286

« Reply #14 on: 15 / September / 2008, 05:05:51 »
One could argue that no news is good news but ten days have passed without even a question. Lukas are you still working on it?

« Reply #15 on: 15 / September / 2008, 12:14:37 »
Yes  I am,

but unfortunately no news doesn't always mean good news...
even worse, i made no progress this far and i am a very busy person: got to work 5 days a week, shop for groceries,caffeine and nicotine supply on saturdays, do my laundry... in short terms: "i'm totaly swamped with work"...

plus i'm still not sure what i have to look for, i started reading the endless assembly, trying to understand how it works, but there must be a better way.

I am deeply sorry for the crappy job!  :(

Offline reyalp

« Reply #16 on: 15 / September / 2008, 15:15:25 »
you can start by running finsig on the the dump, and verify that the entry points found are correct, by comparing to the corresponding functions in a camera that has been ported.

Once you have those things found and named, you'll have a place to start looking for the other things you need as well.

Any entry points that aren't found automatically, or are found incorrectly, need to be discovered manually.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline ma_jk

« Reply #17 on: 19 / September / 2008, 08:54:21 »

Hi all!
my little a590is is getting shipped very soon. I was eager to download a modified firmware for this camera... but i see there's none.
Anyway, ive some knowledge of x86 assembly and mips architecture. Maybe ARM will take some study.
I really want contribute to the a590 porting!

« Reply #18 on: 19 / September / 2008, 13:20:35 »
Yarr! Tha day 'Tis ripe fer some pirat'n. Now I needs t'get meself a Norweigan blue rest'n on me right shoulder. :P

I'm going to start this weekend and see how far I can get. As far as I can tell you don't need a lot of assembly knowledge. Most of CHDK is written in C and the hard part about porting is just figuring out the addresses where all the useful functions are located for the various firmwares.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

« Reply #19 on: 22 / September / 2008, 19:13:46 »
Nevermind... I really shouldn't work on this stuff after a long day at work.  This'll be replaced by actual information after I clean up the mess.

Sorry,
Ken
« Last Edit: 27 / September / 2008, 08:55:57 by ekrus1 »