Camera release to CHDK releast time - CHDK Releases - CHDK Forum

Camera release to CHDK releast time

• 3 Replies
Camera release to CHDK releast time
« on: 22 / September / 2008, 03:52:42 »
Advertisements
Hello there, I'm currently working on a project for work that requires me to control the zoom and shutter of canon digital compact cameras. Originally, I was using PTP to control the G9 and A640 via USB. However, Canon has said they are going to stop releasing SDK's for thier cameras. So CHDK has just become my new best friend.

To go ahead with this will require assurance that we will be supporting current camera models for the foreseeable future. I'm aware that the A650 is supported, though there is no mention of new release cameras such as the SX110.

Can anyone supply me with an idea as to how long it takes for CHDK to be implemented on a camera from its release date (supporting both remote shutter and zoom). My current interest is primarily in the G10 (DIGIC 4?), SX110, SX10, SX1,A1000 and A2000.

I've noticed a lot of these camera's run DIGIC 4, is CHDK liable to run on this any time soon?

So, in short, what is the future outlook for CHDK as far as supported cameras go. And how long does it generally take for a new cameras to be supported?

Regards,
Sam.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: Camera release to CHDK releast time
« Reply #1 on: 22 / September / 2008, 04:18:04 »
there is no chdk developer who owns a digic 4 cam - yet. porting chdk to a new cam requires skills in asm, c & chdk. most of all asm though. the chdk devs cannot port a cam without having physical access to it (though there are a few cases of ported cams by just analysing of the dumped firmware). there isnt even confirmation that the new cams can autoboot and subsequently have their roms dumped.

we can only wait for tech savvy users to report if they have one of those new cameras, and the devs can somehow check if a dump can be obtained.

« Reply #2 on: 22 / September / 2008, 04:21:59 »
I have access to an SX110 at the moment, and it is conceivable that I may be able to get additional new release cameras as and when. How much assistance could I be in getting firmware dumps... etc?

Sam.

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #3 on: 22 / September / 2008, 06:41:06 »
well, for starters you can try to obtain a dump using cardtricks: Card Tricks - a small utility to help manage SD cards [currently v. 1.38] using the universal dumper methods (try new dryos first, then dryos).