General EOS 40D development discussion - page 13 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum
supplierdeeply

General EOS 40D development discussion

• 169 Replies

Offline DataGhost

• EOS 40D, S5IS
    • DataGhost.com
Re: General EOS 40D development discussion
« Reply #120 on: 28 / January / 2009, 14:17:06 »
Advertisements
I've been away for a while :)

Hello guys,
a firmware version with microfocus adjustment will be a great thing.

In the meanwhile you can try focus adjustment with...a scewdriver.
BAD idea. I read about this thing too and apparently it's used for something completely different. I don't recall the exact details but it could completely screw over the entire AF system so you're going to have to send it back to Canon. If I recall correctly it's some sort of mirror adjustment screw which causes the light to reach the AF sensor under a different angle and, if misaligned, might work for one AF point but very likely offsets the measurement on all other AF points. I think it also had the side effect of having the focus points in the viewfinder point to something completely different than what the AF unit is looking at.
Anyway, I think the screw has been (re)moved in the 40D to make this kind of tampering impossible but still... don't try it.

Why not give what you have and let other people work on it ?
I can't just publish all my work somewhere, since the firmware is still Canon property. Also, my notes are of limited use to anyone but me and anyone trying to continue my work will have to do the majority of research all over again anyway, just because you have to be familiar with the firmware in order to understand it. As for the practical part: the method is largely the same as on any powershot camera, except that there is no ready codebase to work with. Anyone with a decent understanding of the CHDK boot process, task hook and function layout will be able to produce the necessary code in no-time. I'd be happy to provide some 'simple' stuff like memory addresses but even I have barely scratched any surface and frankly, given the number of camera features, heck, even considering only the basic ones I have barely scratched anything. The code is vast and it's almost immediately clear that the Powershot/IXUS and EOS teams are not the same. I have no idea how any of the camera's shooting functions work, how the keyboard works (so far I managed to get two buttons going), what state the camera is in and so on.
Then there's the part where all other developers (with 40D, important!) failed to create anything that hooks into the main OS. If that's too hard, there is really not much I can do but sharing my code won't help in any way. I think it's about 10-20 kB and that's including a whole lot of [admin: avoid swearing please], test-code, comments and so on.

And even if what you've already done is hard to use, if you've successfully published a video I'm sure this could interest a lot of people...
It was only after publishing this video that I learned of the technical restrictions. I don't remember if I already explained them here but basically the limit is 30 seconds for 1024x680 MJPEG and 4GB for 320x214 YUV/MJPEG. Even at 320x214 I haven't yet been able to do this without frame loss. (I also didn't work on it for the last couple of months)

[..]
I doubt it because it's been some months now since the first "proof of concept" and nothing new has been said... He told us he had to concentrate on his exams and other stuff, but come on ! So much time and nothing, he either has no interest whatsoever with this, or either has nothing to release and all of this would be a fake (not saying he is a liar, I surely hope not)...
Sad as it may sound, I feel like I have indeed lost my interest in this issue. The technical limits are impossible to work around and because I'm not sure whether or not I'm allowed to release it, I didn't feel like seriously working on movie mode anymore. By the way, you're right about that I have nothing to release: everything is hardcoded and works without user interaction, so that's not really easy to use. It also requires a PC to convert the resulting data into a movie file.
Apart from that, I really don't have too much time anymore. The reason I had a lot of time last year was because I failed a couple of courses the year before and as a result of that I suddenly had this 6-month vacation. That's over and I have to spend a lot of time studying again. Besides that I took on several other things so all in all, that leaves very little time to work on this.
I'd be happy to show you that it's real, you can come over here and shoot a movie yourself.

If he really has no time, I don't understand why he doesn't release his stuff indeed... Why wouldn't he ??? Would he want to sell his stuff ? I don't see any advantage of keeping everything secret, do you ? Open source software surely works, and if everybody was keeping every bit of code secret, CHDK would not exist I think...
Selling the code is my goal indeed. I got a lucrative offer from Nikon, they are currently paying my salary. I started this research as soon as the 40D was launched and my work is basically the foundation for the movie mode in the D90. Don't tell Canon, though, I could end up in jail!
I already explained why I'm keeping it 'secret', as you like to call it. I'd be happy to act as a (very limited) consultant for someone who shows he is capable enough to get something going. It's also very easy to misjudge the required amount of time if you have no experience with software development, reverse engineering or anything remotely related to that. As I said, I have barely no knowledge of how the camera works, though I estimate that I spent at least 200 hours doing RE, coding, testing, documenting and so on. At $30 an hour (no idea if that's reasonable for someone with a similar skillset) that works out to $6000. I could have used that time to do non-free work and buy myself a 5D2 with some really nice lenses.

I just wanted to say that we shouldn't expect too much of this development because it was already a long time since the anouncement...
If anything goes out sometimes, I'll be very very very happy. If not... well too bad but at least I don't want to get my hopes too high.
That's more or less what I said, if I recall correctly. I can never guarantee that I'll be able to work on spare-time projects.

« Reply #121 on: 28 / January / 2009, 15:01:55 »
Hi, I'm wondering if it would be possible to get the flash sync (firing the pc sync port or a dumb signal to the hotshoe) in Live view silent mode.  From what I understand in silent mode the first curtain is held open and the sensor itself is used for the shutterspeed exposure, like the CCD in the original 1D and the Nikon D70/D40.   The reason I would like to see this is to expand the flash sync all the way up to 1/1000 or higher.  The entire sensor just needs to be exposed for a proper flash exposure.  Canon disables silent mode with a dedicated flash attached and it disables any setting flash settings (2nd curtain sync, etc) or flash triggering of the hotshoe or pc port in live view silent mode.  If this is possible, it would be boon for Strobists everywhere!

Offline ditch

« Reply #122 on: 28 / January / 2009, 16:37:03 »
refreshing post from dataghost (impressive achievement - you might want to edit that nikon/canon reference as it could seriously get you in trouble...). inasmuch as movie mode for my 40d sounds appealing, the limitations make it impractical to a certain extent. oh well. might as well save up on a  5d2 and a 85/1.2L... lol

Offline DataGhost

• EOS 40D, S5IS
    • DataGhost.com
« Reply #123 on: 28 / January / 2009, 17:12:31 »
you might want to edit that nikon/canon reference as it could seriously get you in trouble...)
It's called sarcasm :) If anyone thinks it's even remotely logical, they'd better have their brain checked out.

Offline MWP

« Reply #124 on: 29 / January / 2009, 22:07:27 »
So the news on your 40D movie achievements are really starting to spread...
Well done BTW :)

Reading the above it seems like this will be something youll never release due to the various issues which apparently cant be overcome.
Am i correct in saying this?

Can you make the mem map, etc that you have worked out available for other tweakers?

Offline ditch

« Reply #125 on: 02 / February / 2009, 11:41:34 »
you might want to edit that nikon/canon reference as it could seriously get you in trouble...)
It's called sarcasm :) If anyone thinks it's even remotely logical, they'd better have their brain checked out.

you got me. i guess i should run my brain through a canon service center calibration.. lol. at any rate, i recently viewed a d90-made video and i could've sworn it had similar quality to the video you uploaded. sad to know that you lost interest in this project, but i guess hardware limitations are hardware limitations. better start saving up for a 5d2.

« Reply #126 on: 05 / February / 2009, 09:11:47 »
Seems like there will be no builds of this FW EVER :(
EOS 5D, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM.

« Reply #127 on: 07 / February / 2009, 04:52:18 »
eek ............ go and cry in the chapel now ... :D but google for the russian hack using computer

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1031&thread=30753503

« Reply #128 on: 09 / February / 2009, 07:51:02 »
eek ............ go and cry in the chapel now ... :D but google for the russian hack using computer

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/readflat.asp?forum=1031&thread=30753503

Of course I use that thing. But I'm completely tired (not only physically - I'm tired from other people staring at me too :D) walking down the streets with a laptop in a bag and connected with camera)
EOS 5D, EF 50mm f/1.4 USM.

Offline ditch

« Reply #129 on: 11 / February / 2009, 20:44:16 »
oh yeah, that. seen it (it was still v0.0.5 or something then) but as you aptly put it "i'm tired from other people staring..." - beats the purpose of the feature to a certain extent. but now that it has a 25fps v1.2, that is something worth looking into (though you wouldn't catch me recording on the streets any time soon still). the russian guy's website is http://valexvir.narod.ru/. the link to the v0.1.3 (the newest version i suppose) is http://narod.ru/disk/5392414000/eos_movrec-0.1.3-setup.exe.html - just might try it when i get off work ^_^