General EOS 40D development discussion - page 7 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum

General EOS 40D development discussion

• 169 Replies
Re: General EOS 40D development discussion
« Reply #60 on: 24 / September / 2008, 15:46:36 »
Advertisements
Hi everyone.

Just read about the video project on another website. Very interesting, i didnt even know there where people playing with canon firmware :D I like to play around with devices and trying to make them doing things they shouldnt do. Didnt do much firmware debugging but I like a challange. I could find much on the chdk site about the 40D. So I dump my questions here (yes you can slap me if this isnt the right place)

1) Any info on how to decrypt 40d firmware ?
2) Is there any info on memory locations use with IDA ?
3) Is there a debug mode to load firmware in memory rather then flash. (Or any other method to run code without the risk to reflash or brick the 40d?) In most ideal case using usb port.
3a) Or does the 40d contain a independent firmware flashing system that does not require the main firmware to uhh.. wel... work.?

And yes i've got a 40d to play with and an old 350d :)

Offline lukg

• Eos 450D+18-55is+55-250is & Powershot S5is - 1.01a
« Reply #61 on: 24 / September / 2008, 18:44:10 »
It seems DataGhost is a lot stressed, if you read with attention his new introduction tatsebao.
I appreciate his work and i hadn't any doubt about his first video clip, it wasn't necessary to see the second video for trusting it was a real 40D recorded clip, without any cable.  But i have to say that he wrote info about this project and he posted the video here and, most of all,  on Youtube, so it's "normal" and also obvious that so wide and not always patient attention has growth on last weeks, in many forum.
So, he doesn't need, at the moment, any help, nor test, nor too much push or intrusive sustain, not fired fans.
He don't want "impatient people" who ask for an easy hack here, there and everywhere, on everyday.
I can understand.
It's ok, i think he (or other expert in hacking) have to take his time, even if i have to say don't like so much the irritating tone and content of that introductory proclama.
DataGhost, i'm not impatient, you've done a good work, but if you don't like all this noise and expectation, that are of course for a concrete and usable firmware-software, you should have communicate something only in the days of a beta. Or not?
My best wishes.

I understand Dataghost, this is the same movie already seen many times (i remember S5 chdk development).
Lot of pages full of absurd requests, download, tester proposals, porting to different cameras...when nothing is even done yet.
Just let him work and wait for Dataghost's news.

« Reply #62 on: 25 / September / 2008, 11:07:21 »
I'd love to see the following features in the firmware hack:

- Intervalometer (that would avoid ppl buying the overpriced TC-80N3 remote trigger)

- AF Microajustment + storing up to at least 10 lens profiles (I use Sigma lenses a lot, and they tend to backfocus some times...)

- MLU or Liveview accessible by the direct-print bottom

« Reply #63 on: 01 / October / 2008, 06:00:42 »
The following features will make me an happier photographer:

- Auto ISO with Minimum Shutter Speed and Maximum ISO settings
- Micro adjustment
- Interval timer shooting
- 4s timer (2s not long enough for Tripod)
- Programmable Direct Print
- 100% enlargment LCD view

« Reply #64 on: 01 / October / 2008, 08:59:54 »
Can I just get something clarified: it's not the CHDK project being ported to the EOS 40D as yet, but entirely new code written to capture the Live View buffer, right?

And, as I understand it, the framebuffer's at 720x214 so there's no way of increasing the resolution without telling the camera not to downscale the feed captured from the sensor. That's another question, actually: is the sensor capturing at this anemic res during Live View, or is it being downscaled somewhere?

Offline DataGhost

• EOS 40D, S5IS
    • DataGhost.com
« Reply #65 on: 01 / October / 2008, 11:30:58 »
I'm pretty sure it's being downscaled but the 'full' stream is too big to write to CF.

And yeah, it's not really CHDK although I do occasionally borrow some thing. I don't think P&S and DSLR are compatible enough to live side-by-side in one build, a ton of CHDK features don't apply to a DSLR and vice versa, 'CHDK'-DSLR features don't really apply to a P&S. Main focus at the moment is finding a way to spread this without legal troubles (though the actual primary focus is my exams now).
« Last Edit: 01 / October / 2008, 11:33:27 by DataGhost »

« Reply #66 on: 02 / October / 2008, 11:32:29 »
My wish list:

1. Noise reduction algorithm ported from 5DmkII (it gives additional 2-stops; it's 3-rd party algorithm called CXR and used for the first time in Nikon D3, and now in Canon 5DmkII)
2. Unblocking focus confirmation for non-CPU lens
3. AF micro adjustment
4. Sharp photo preview
5. Extended exposure compensation (but how to show compensation values>2EV?)
6. Custom function to enable AF for dark lens (like f/8).

« Reply #67 on: 02 / October / 2008, 14:40:36 »
My favourites would be:

- other iso values, especially below 100, because this would help alot when doing studio work at F2.8
- AF microadjustment would be great

to be honest - I do not need video functionality (especially if there is no sound recording ability)

« Reply #68 on: 07 / October / 2008, 09:50:52 »
Hi diffz.

you has some questions, i have one answer.
1) Any info on how to decrypt 40d firmware ?
Yes. read my posts on this forum
This is how 40D (and 400D) code decrypth the flasher code 1(2)

emklap

DataGhost : keep up the good work

« Reply #69 on: 11 / October / 2008, 17:28:02 »
I vote for

- AF microadjustment
- 100% zoom on JPEG preview.

I wonder, is there possibility to "borrow" some parts of 50d firmware code, which already has these features?

-- vlad