General EOS 40D development discussion - page 12 - DSLR Hack development - CHDK Forum supplierdeeply

General EOS 40D development discussion

• 169 Replies

Offline Roger Ramjet

• Canon Ixus 960is & 450D
Re: General EOS 40D development discussion
« Reply #110 on: 26 / January / 2009, 07:14:21 »
Advertisements
Is this story:

http://www.canonrumors.com/2009/01/video-with-any-liveview-eos-camera/

talking about the work Dataghost has done, or is this another developer working on video from Canon DSLRs?  He has a downloadable program which will save video direct to your PC via USB.

« Reply #111 on: 27 / January / 2009, 11:12:47 »
Canon 450d - 848 x 560
Canon 40d - 1024 ? 680

http://valexvir.narod.ru

....very-y-y-y good  :P

« Reply #112 on: 27 / January / 2009, 11:32:11 »
Yes this is very good (I mean the Russian program), but you still need to have a PC nearby...
Dataghost's solution (if it's real, which I ***very much*** doubt !) is in-camera and you can go on the road and record with nothing more than the camera...

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #113 on: 27 / January / 2009, 13:09:05 »
why do you doubt it? you wanna tempt dataghost into releasing his stuff just to prove you wrong? i doubt that's gonna work ;)

« Reply #115 on: 28 / January / 2009, 05:39:35 »
why do you doubt it? you wanna tempt dataghost into releasing his stuff just to prove you wrong? i doubt that's gonna work ;)

I doubt it because it's been some months now since the first "proof of concept" and nothing new has been said... He told us he had to concentrate on his exams and other stuff, but come on ! So much time and nothing, he either has no interest whatsoever with this, or either has nothing to release and all of this would be a fake (not saying he is a liar, I surely hope not)...
If he really has no time, I don't understand why he doesn't release his stuff indeed... Why wouldn't he ??? Would he want to sell his stuff ? I don't see any advantage of keeping everything secret, do you ? Open source software surely works, and if everybody was keeping every bit of code secret, CHDK would not exist I think...

Anyway, I found out about the Russian work, and it's enough for me right now :-D

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #116 on: 28 / January / 2009, 06:26:47 »
the beauty of open source is... nobody has to sign a contract nor owes anything to anyone.
you talk like Dataghost OWEs something to you or the community. he can withhold information as he sees fit, for whatever reasons. i bet he is willing to explain it to you in detail when you talk to him in irc.
and to believe that his hack is fake is very stupid, havent you seen the youtube videos?
the advantage of keeping something secret is for example not having a lawsuit with canon. think about it.

Offline barret

• S3 & a550
« Reply #117 on: 28 / January / 2009, 06:45:24 »
So much time and nothing, he either has no interest whatsoever with this, or either has nothing to release and all of this would be a fake

why do you say such things? as far as i know dataghost has contributed a lot to CHDK, so suggesting that he has no interest with this is not very polite.

fake? why should he fake something like this? for what? really, i think you should appreciate a little more the job people are doing here. for free. with no profits. investing their own time and money. think about it.

or maybe YOU could contribute something to the community rather than requesting something?
« Last Edit: 28 / January / 2009, 06:47:42 by barret »

databoy

« Reply #118 on: 28 / January / 2009, 07:55:47 »
There is a very polite saying in Rome:

Banks do not bake pizzas;
Pizza shops do not conduct banking transactions.

The moral of the story is that everyone has their expertise in life. In the real world a person gets paid for their services and purchases other services with that income.

I worked in the electrical and electronic servicing business for 30 years. I got paid for my technical skills. That income paid for a house and the financial freedom to do what I like.

I have made my opinion well know. I think that a lot of software and hardware developers are selling themselves short by giving away their knowledge free of monetary gain.

In the early days of the internet, forums were a place where like minded people exchanged ideas and helped each other. The internet is now full of users, too lazy to Google, expecting other people to develop software or design, prototype and release free software and hardware circuits because they lack the technical intelligence to carry out the design work themselves.

If Dataghost or any other of the developers have developed a commercially viable idea; then good luck to them. People have to pay for rent, food, clothing and general living expenses. They are not a slave to some complainer wanting free software and technical services. 

If a person does not like what is being offered on this forum or any other forum, then they have the freedom of putting their money where their mouth is and take their business elseware.

« Reply #119 on: 28 / January / 2009, 09:46:12 »
I apologize if I offended you or anyone... That was not my goal.
I just wanted to say that we shouldn't expect too much of this development because it was already a long time since the anouncement...
If anything goes out sometimes, I'll be very very very happy. If not... well too bad but at least I don't want to get my hopes too high.
I say this because in the past I've been waiting a very long time for projects like this, and in the end it was vaporware...
I'd like to be able to help, but this kind of programing knowledge seems too high for me :-(

Again, I'm sorry if I was too harsh with dataghost. I'll keep an eye here anyway ;-)