made in china s5is will not turn on with chdk on card - page 2 - Hello, I'm a NEWBIE - HELP!! (Newbies assistance, User Guides and thank you notes) - CHDK Forum  

made in china s5is will not turn on with chdk on card

• 22 Replies

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
Re: made in china s5is will not turn on with chdk on card
« Reply #10 on: 11 / September / 2008, 04:07:37 »
Advertisements
Yeah, I got that. My idea is though, that we could dump your s5is firmware,
and then disassemble & compare it with existing ones.

wim

« Reply #11 on: 11 / September / 2008, 04:24:30 »
hi whim
it says firmware 1.0.1.0

and nothing more...

rob

Offline whim

« Reply #12 on: 11 / September / 2008, 04:28:50 »
no, no, no.

read here FAQ - CHDK Wiki how to get the REAL version number.

wim

« Reply #13 on: 11 / September / 2008, 05:06:55 »
sorry for my late reply here. had a prob with my net connection. resolved.
Actually, I did read the chdk wiki on how to get the REAL version number. I thought I did it right. I didn't realize I did it wrong until you told me that it was wrong. I saw what it should look like but thought, maybe it is because of the china thing.  I went back and read further and saw the bold info that if you receive 1010, try again. I will do so.
I am going to attempt the dos mode this time and let you know asap.
thank you whim

Offline whim

« Reply #14 on: 11 / September / 2008, 05:37:51 »
no sweat, got plenty of time ATM. glad to have sth to do, i want to get this sorted out
(i mean: is there really such a thing as a special 'chinese' firmware that's incompatible
 with availble CHDK versions)

wim

BTW In order to get the version please note you'll need a 2 finger operation:
press and hold down 'set/func' and at the same time press 'display', much
like you would need to for a <Ctrl>-C or <Ctrl><Alt><DEL> on a computer
« Last Edit: 11 / September / 2008, 05:42:53 by whim »

« Reply #15 on: 11 / September / 2008, 05:48:57 »
OKAY. GOT IT.

CANON POWERSHOT S5IS
P-ID:3148 NT D

Firmware Version GM 1.01B

No Error

June 14, 2007    20:11:19

« Reply #16 on: 11 / September / 2008, 06:37:54 »
update......
used another card and voila ! it worked !!!!!!!!!!! (trying this on san disk 2 gb cards - the basic ones. Didn't want to experment with the ultras until I had this down pat. )I know for a fact that i previously downloaded and unzipped to the e drive where the sd card was and tried it several times.
Well,,, now I have 2 cameras that can shoot raw ! Boy. Am I happy. The in camera  white/balance, exposure of the s3 became "off." I sent it back to Canon who did nothing. Their repair department is worthless. More on my experience at a later time. However, Now, thanks to you guys, I have control in an area that was deficient and always a problem to a certain extent regardless of whether or not the s3 was working properly. I don't think it is as good as a new properly functioning s3, and raw doesn't fix everything, but at least now this camera has a chance to come back to life and out of the storage dust.
I read on dp review that the s5 image quality is not as good as the s3. Does anyone have both cameras as I do that are using the raw software that have any opinions ?
I've purchased 5 transcend 4 gb class 6 cards a couple of days ago and look forward to report on their performance - with the s5 of course. The s3 can't handle the sdhc.

thanks again to all that shared info with me and helped me with this. I'm going to remain and return the favors.

best regards,
robert

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #17 on: 11 / September / 2008, 06:49:15 »
whole big thread about nothing.

Hello all. I am new here. I have been reading about the possible problem with the China made S5 cameras (which i unfortunately have). Apparently, the older ones were made in japan and can work with the chdk.
first of all, where did you read that?

2nd: you would have spared some people's hassles if only you had read the wiki and the explanations about the firmware BEFOREHAND.

3rd: what makes you say the s3is cant handle sdhc? you got a trustworthy source? i doubt it will be better than the source i got - me. i own an s3is and also i own two sdhc cards - 4 gb and 16 gb (sixteen gigabyte) that totally work in the s3is.

« Reply #18 on: 11 / September / 2008, 07:21:29 »
1. Maybe you should do some checking on the forums. It is absolutely there and recent. I am correct.

2. Some peoples Hassles ? The whole point of a forum is to help each other. REad the wiki and explanations ? I did and my posts show that I have. Just because I stated 1010 doesn't mean I didn't read. I explained why in one of my posts. Furthermore, in respect to hassles and "whole big thread about nothing", I suppose if the lesson of the apparent fact as exposed here, by my experience, and in addition somewhat by whim that not all memory cards function the same even though they are the same make and storage capacity means nothing to you, then apparently this post meant nothing and you have nothing to learn.

" none are more blind than those who choose not to see."

3. In respect to your last post of the s3 taking larger than 2 gb, well, that's certainly new to me AND TO THE CANON MANUAL that came with the s3 as well. I also haven't tried to use the camera as a hammer. Maybe you can let me know how that worked out too.

There ! You See ! This whole thread wasn't about nothing afterall....

Sorry sadsack.

I also notice that at the same time you made this pathetic post, I was placed in the newbie category as if I am an idiot. And.... you are a 5 star member who apparently who has control of this bulletin board.

So long..... The way you treat your "members" I wish you luck. You're going to need it. There are many kind intelligent artists to interact with in many different places. Photographers don't have time for those with ignorance and attitude such as yourself.

robert

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #19 on: 11 / September / 2008, 08:11:32 »
aww come on. did i really treat you that bad? i dont think so.

1. are you referring to this post about the chinese firmware? there is no statement whatsoever that chinese-made cameras would not work with chdk. there is an assumption made, but with no backing.

2. come on, for example you tried both s5is chdk versions for your camera before you even found out your own firmware, didnt you perhaps stop for one minute and think: hey, wait a second, why are there different chdk versions for my camera? maybe i should find out. then you would have found the vers.req thingy etc in the first place. if i own an electronic device and i read somewhere there are "new firmwares" for it, i certainly would try to find out the difference in the offered firmwares before i might fry my hardware (well, chdk wont fry it, but can you be sure!?).

so the canon manual states "the s3is is definitly not working with sdhc cards"? no, it doesnt, i just checked it. there is no statement even remotely close to that to be found in the manual. in fact, there also is no statement like "it will only work with normal sd cards". only thing you might refer to (in my eyes) is the capacity: they only give examples (for the calculations regarding number of total pics on one card etc), and the biggest example they provide is a 512 MB sd card (probably the biggest available by the time they made the s3is).
as a matter of fact, the camera may be used as a hammer, i didnt try it yet, but there isnt anything like "this cam cannot be used as a hammer" in the manual, so i will certainly not go somewhere and post "hey, this camera cant be used as a hammer" - because i am not sure. assumptions are assumptions, and thus should be marked as being assumptions.

so, all these posts in the newbie category were moved there to make the people look like idiots? well, thats news for me, thank you for clearing that up.

trust me, i help people, i help them all the time, be it in this forum, be it in my job, be it in my real life. i am not here to bash people, especially not "newbies". but i am allowed to post my opinion, aint i. my opinion was posted by my mind, not by my status as being mod or a "5 star member".
the moving of the thread was done by my status of being mod.

don't be so hard on me.
« Last Edit: 11 / September / 2008, 08:16:24 by PhyrePhoX »