G9 porting progress

• 281 Replies

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
Re: G9 porting progress
« Reply #120 on: 11 / November / 2008, 08:26:14 »
Advertisements
i wanted to add the g9 to the svn today, but i am somewhat confused by the sheer amount of posted archives and sourcecode.
as far as i can tell there seem to be g9s floating around with at least 4 different firmwares (or even 5 including the unofficial i update). and at least two of these firmwares being compatible to each other (adress wise). right?

anyhows, as someone already pointed out, it really would make sense porting chdk to that one unofficial version, so everybody has the same.
right?
so far i have seen several zips including sources for different firmware versions that dont always include the same features, so i cant really check these into the svn now.
maybe someone with a g9 can clear that up for me and maybe also give me a diff i can work with.

« Reply #121 on: 12 / November / 2008, 03:24:01 »
Read here: FAQ - CHDK Wiki

wim

thank for trying wim but that only offers "official" firmware upgrades and nothing for the g9 - am i missing something?

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #122 on: 12 / November / 2008, 06:49:32 »
...was wondering if there was a way to update firmware from d to g?...

thank for trying wim but that only offers "official" firmware upgrades and nothing for the g9 - am i missing something?
Read here: FAQ - CHDK Wiki

Canon hasn't released official firmware updates since 2006, there's no official fw update from Canon available.

Read this thread again, there is a beta CHDK available for the 100d...

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #123 on: 12 / November / 2008, 07:04:09 »
G9 porting progress
firmware update for the g9. however, when you upgrade to this version, there is no chdk for it yet ;) it's also on the wiki: G9 - CHDK Wiki

Offline fe50

• IXUS50 & 860, SX10 Star WARs-Star RAWs
    • fe50
« Reply #124 on: 12 / November / 2008, 07:28:04 »
G9 porting progress
firmware update for the g9. however, when you upgrade to this version, there is no chdk for it yet ;) it's also on the wiki: G9 - CHDK Wiki

@PhyrePhoX: Yep, i knew that one...

@spewmanti: BEWARE - that's NOT an official update & once installed there's NO WAY BACK !

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #125 on: 12 / November / 2008, 07:40:15 »
wel, it is official in so far, that it is by canon and was given to a customer by canon. it just didnt make it to their website, maybe an intern f*ed up ;)
but you are very right about the no way back part. though i still think everybody should upgrade to that unofficial/official firmware so that chdk has to be ported only once ;)

« Reply #126 on: 12 / November / 2008, 11:53:26 »
i still think everybody should upgrade to that unofficial/official firmware so that chdk has to be ported only once ;)

I agree.  No-one has reported any problems with the update and it fixes known issues, so there's no reason to stick with an old firmware.

Offline reyalp

« Reply #127 on: 12 / November / 2008, 17:24:02 »
I agree.  No-one has reported any problems with the update and it fixes known issues, so there's no reason to stick with an old firmware.
No one reporting problems does not imply that no problems exist. Nor can you be sure that there aren't minor hardware revisions that require different firmwares.

Updating to an unofficial firmware (which this is, because it isn't officially available from canon) will almost certainly void your warranty. CHDK may or may not void your warranty, but it generally leaves no trace if you clean up your SD card. Flashing to a leaked firmware from the internet OTOH means the Canon service folks will know the moment they turn it on.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

« Reply #128 on: 13 / November / 2008, 02:57:49 »
Rats... I was misled into upgrading to 1.00i... now what?  Is a build doable?

Offline PhyrePhoX

• make RAW not WAR
    • PhyreWorX
« Reply #129 on: 13 / November / 2008, 04:01:51 »
sorry if i fooled ya. the upgrade to the i version of course only makes sense if there already is a build for it, at least one of the g9 devs really gotta voice their feelings here. what you CAN do however, is provide a firmware dump of that version, if it is not available anywhere yet.