supplierdeeply

A590IS porting...

• 968 Replies
Re: A590IS porting...
« Reply #160 on: 23 / October / 2008, 21:25:30 »
Advertisements
Can anyway walk me through the shutter speed override? I wanna shoot water droplets and bullets in flight, too!

Offline gho

« Reply #161 on: 24 / October / 2008, 05:15:26 »
Can anyway walk me through the shutter speed override? I wanna shoot water droplets and bullets in flight, too!

Hi!

I suppose you know how to enter the chdk menu? (<alt>(direct print button), <menu>)

In "Extra Photo Operations" you will find an entry "override shutter speed". Change the values there with <left>, <right>.

Change the value factor (the next entry down the list) from off to e.g. 1.

If you set "override shutter speed" to 1/20000 and value factor to 1 it means, that the shutter speed will be overridden in shooting mode with 1/20000 sec. (theoretically, it is hard for me to guess, what the real speed is).

Try it. Leave the menu by pressing <alt> and go to a shooting mode of your choice (e.g. Av) by turning the big wheel on top of the camera.

You should see Tv: 1/20000 in red at the display if you have configured it accordingly.

Activate the flash by pressing <up>, maybe twice.

Shoot, and check the results.

Play with different aperture (Av) and CHDK exposure (Tv) settings.

Report back your results if you like.

I think a better way would be using a motion dectection script but I have not tried this yet.
« Last Edit: 24 / October / 2008, 05:40:30 by gho »

« Reply #162 on: 24 / October / 2008, 05:48:55 »
ok, ive followed all the steps described in using "card tricks" program, but when i get to "download chdk" it only takes me to the official release chdk download page - and a590is is not there, as yet. how do i download 101b into my card then? should i use another method?

« Reply #163 on: 24 / October / 2008, 06:00:44 »
now ive managed to download chdk into the card but (probably because ive downloaded ALL the content of the 101b folder) when i open my camera the lcd screen is still as usual (it only says: card blocked).
should i download only a part of the 101b folder? and which part?
thanks for your help.

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #164 on: 24 / October / 2008, 06:06:01 »
@alecsus27

Remove write lock and check your card again in CardTricks - does it say it's bootable ?
if not, click 'Make Bootable' and try again (set write lock on again before, of course)

wim

PS Also: note that CardTricks can not make big SDcards (more than 4 Gb) bootable.
« Last Edit: 24 / October / 2008, 06:08:18 by whim »

Offline cyro

« Reply #165 on: 24 / October / 2008, 06:12:59 »
Hi alecsus27,

the web page that's opened through cardtricks only contains "official" builds. As the version for the a590is is still in beta stage (although ma_jk has improved it at an unbelieveable speed during the last days), it's not there - yet.

You can skip the "download CHDK" step in cardtricks and instead load the version appropriate for your firmware here: A590IS porting...

Once downloaded, you can use "CHDK -> card" in cardtricks and choose the archive you just saved. Cardtricks will then unzip it to your card. That's it, lock the card and place it into your camera.

For reference, your card should at least contain 'diskboot.bin', 'ver.req' and 'vers.req' in it's root folder now, plus a 'CHDK' folder in which there are several other subdirectories like 'Books', 'Curves' etc..

If you have the correct firmware, and cardtricks says the card is bootable (beginning with 4GB+ you might run into problems, I've heard), it should work.

Are you sure you have the correct version for your firmware? 100e and 101b are not referring to the build, but to your camera (see here).

HTH,
Cyro

Edit: damn, I should try writing less lengthy - sorry whim, didn't mean to repeat you  :-[

Edit2: according to reply #156, it's possible to get it working on a 4GB SDHC card. According to Wikipedia, it's possible to access cards bigger than 2GB (the design limit of standard SD cards) through the standard SD interface (which seems to be needed for booting CHDK), but you can't be sure, as this would be outside the standard.
« Last Edit: 24 / October / 2008, 07:22:24 by cyro »

« Reply #166 on: 24 / October / 2008, 06:24:38 »
yeah, ive repeated the operation (this time ive downloaded only the "chdk" folder from the 101b folder) and still got the same result: nothing.
i am using a 4gb sdhc "adata" card.
should i try with a 2 gb card?

Offline cyro

« Reply #167 on: 24 / October / 2008, 06:37:34 »
Yes, at least that's a possible cause. I'm using a 1GB card myself, and I bought it especially for CHDK - knowing the possible 4GB limit, I chose to better be safe than sorry.
Your card's contents should look like in the attached screenshot.

« Reply #168 on: 24 / October / 2008, 06:46:29 »
cyro: ok, wow, it worked!  thank you!
only thing is, for the moment, the histogram is blinking  - is this normal?
additionally, there appeared a vertical column of figures and a new indication in upper right corner of screen. looks like ill have to find out how to work with those now...
thanks again!

Offline cyro

« Reply #169 on: 24 / October / 2008, 06:49:45 »