A590IS porting... - page 18 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

A590IS porting...

• 968 Replies
Re: A590IS porting...
« Reply #170 on: 24 / October / 2008, 06:59:11 »
Advertisements
Hi!

It's possible run an small linux distro as one firmware ? :)

« Reply #171 on: 24 / October / 2008, 07:05:13 »
cyro: great, it worked as you said, also the blinking of histogram disappeared! then i've managed to set to have thos 3 small histograms and i've also set their place on the lcd screen.
excellent! thank you very much!
now i go see the other features enabled and let you (and everybody here) how its working.
oh, and once again: thanks to all those who were involved in building this and managed to offer us chdk feature for a590is!!

« Reply #172 on: 24 / October / 2008, 07:22:22 »
i set the raw capability. then went to video, and at "video quality" there's a number: 84, which i can change it (smaller or bigger) - what is that, the fps? 84 fps would be huge for my camera, i only had 2-30 fps before (there is nowhere i can see fps now). also, at "video mode" i have the option "bitrate" or "quality" - what are those? at "video bitrate" i have a figure like:"1.25x" which i can icrease it or decrease; what number should i leave there?
thanks again for you help!

Offline cyro

« Reply #173 on: 24 / October / 2008, 07:24:56 »
No, that's the quality of the video in percent, if you set it to 'quality' rather than 'bitrate' mode. 84 seems to be the default (or maybe ma_jk has chosen it to be that value for this build). Higher values provide better video quality, but also bigger file sizes. The fps isn't changed, though. As I understand it, video fps is one of the few things that's not (yet?) possible to change by chdk.

You can find a lot of useful information about the general features of CHDK here. Note that these are generic descriptions which may or may not be absolutely correct for your camera or chdk build. There are several 'special builds' which offer other options, but to get these, the a590is build must be 'stable' first. Afterwards, these special builds can be ported for the a590is, too.
« Last Edit: 24 / October / 2008, 07:33:16 by cyro »

« Reply #174 on: 24 / October / 2008, 07:27:17 »
oh, sorry again, now i've found all explained in that chdk for dummies link. :)

Offline cyro

« Reply #175 on: 24 / October / 2008, 07:40:56 »

In theory, yes. The a590is has everything you need to run almost anything - cpu, display, keyboard (sort of  ;) ), memory. Practically, no. It already has an operating system (DryOS) that can't be changed without altering the firmware of the camera (CHDK is not a firmware change). You could maybe run something like an embedded linux system on top of that, if your name is Linus Torvalds or the like. But unless you are a real kernel porting crack (and can cope with the massive restrictions of the camera's ressources), I would say: no luck.
« Last Edit: 24 / October / 2008, 07:43:09 by cyro »

« Reply #176 on: 24 / October / 2008, 07:47:09 »

In theory, yes. The a590is has everything you need to run almost anything - cpu, display, keyboard (sort of  ;) ), memory. Practically, no. It already has an operating system (DryOS) that can't be changed without altering the firmware of the camera (CHDK is not a firmware change). You could maybe run something like an embedded linux system on top of that, if your name is Linus Torvalds or the like. But unless you are a real kernel porting crack (and can cope with the massive restrictions of the camera's ressources), I would say: no luck.

cyro, I was curious about this.

Thank you ;)

« Reply #177 on: 24 / October / 2008, 08:28:30 »
cyro: one more thing - does chdk override shutter speed only in "manual" mode, or does that affect also picture taken on auto mode or in "scn" mode? the question is available also for iso overriding.

« Reply #178 on: 24 / October / 2008, 08:47:19 »
i've noticed also there is no aperture overriding

Offline cyro

« Reply #179 on: 24 / October / 2008, 09:01:05 »
I'm a CHDK beginner too, so don't take my word for granted - but as far as I know, the override settings work in any mode, regardless what the (stock) camera display says. See reply #161 on how to set shutter speed override.
I've also read that although the shutter speed override works, the resulting pics might still show some standard shutter speed value in the EXIF data. You could check if it works by taking two pics of the same scene with different shutter speeds.
As for aperture override: if I'm right, that wouldn't make much sense. If the physical aperture of the camera is fully used, there's no way to make it bigger/smaller without changing the hardware (lens/iris etc.).
The shutter, on the other hand, just has to move faster or slower. Naturally, there are limits to this too, but it's at least possible.

@ the Pros around here: am I right in this?