A590IS porting... - page 71 - DryOS Development - CHDK Forum

A590IS porting...

• 968 Replies

Offline reyalp

Re: A590IS porting...
« Reply #700 on: 29 / October / 2009, 17:14:37 »
Advertisements
@reyalp,
Can you compile and post one without the shadowed lines so we can compare it to the jpgs that the A590IS produces.
Attached.
I think that most people would crop those shadowed linesif they have a choice. I wonder if the cam crops this too before creating the jpg internally.
Of course it does, camera jpeg is only 3264x2448

My thoughts on this:
- these pixels contain image data, so it is technically "active area". If I understand the DNG spec correctly it should probably be included. See http://www.barrypearson.co.uk/articles/dng/specification.htm#areas  The default crop area is already a separate item, and is set to JPEG size in the CHDK DNG code (although the origin is just set to the middle of the active area, which may not be the same as what cannon uses)
- people who take the time to set up a raw workflow are mostly going to crop their photos anyway. If you want to use snapshots as is, just use jpeg.
- these pixels could cropped (or quite likely, recovered) automatically in the workflow.
- the data is in the DNG regardless, so there is no time or space savings.

I am open to arguments to the contrary, or information on how other cameras do it.
Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #701 on: 29 / October / 2009, 17:56:47 »
i suppose it also doesn't help that i feel that photo camera's are ergonomically totally unsuitable
       for video

A professional photographer working for the DixonBaxi ad agency said "for a lot of reasons I think the Canon EOS 5D Mark II stills camera is the best video camera available"   !

The used it to make a rebranding commercial for the American Channel 5 network.

David

notice i said "i feel" - and i was talking about our beloved real world, affordable & CHDK supporting P&S cams   :haha

wim

Offline dvip

« Reply #702 on: 29 / October / 2009, 18:10:29 »
@reyalp,
It looks great! And even after the crop the dng shows more
pixels than the in-cam jpg. In any case, I like it this way.

However, yes, keeping the shadowed lines may provide some
extra pixels for a raw converter's demosaicing algorithm. 

Is there any way to add to chdk's RAW parameters menus a
"crop/no crop" option so the user can choose?

Offline whim

• A495/590/620/630 ixus70/115/220/230/300/870 S95
« Reply #703 on: 29 / October / 2009, 18:24:45 »
@reyalp

...these pixels contain image data...

FWIW, I fully agree with that - the cam's DNGs should not reject any potentially usable data

wim

Offline mngc

• a590is fw 1.0.1b & sx110is fw 1.0b
« Reply #704 on: 30 / October / 2009, 05:18:43 »

go in tools and type make rawconvert
It will convert 10 bit to 16 bit as you describe, if you use -noshift. Otherwise, it will shift the values left by 6 bits (easier to view in some programs)

Thanks, now i can compile rawconvert. What format used to output image, or what progam open it? I use 3336x2480 pixel dimension, this is correct?

Offline mngc

« Reply #705 on: 30 / October / 2009, 05:36:34 »

About the video (from include/camera.h, ~line 500)
#define CAM_EV_IN_VIDEO             1      // not working on 101b!!!
which sounds like something is broken in the video code (platform/a590/sub/101b/movie_rec.c)
and that's about as far as i get - my ARM assembly can only be qualified as very poor ...

edit: i suppose it also doesn't help that i feel that photo camera's are ergonomically totally unsuitable
       for video - i prefer my old & trusty JVC GR-DVP3E for that  

Thanks your answer. You are correct, not the best video camera the a590is, normal video cameras more better, but currently not have it. Another "video camera", my telephone quality very bad. I waiting to expert users to correct video mode. I know this is not easy and requies long time.  

Offline reyalp

« Reply #706 on: 30 / October / 2009, 07:11:57 »
Thanks, now i can compile rawconvert. What format used to output image, or what progam open it?
It's just width*height 16 bit integers, in native byte order (presumably little endian, or the conversion wouldn't work). You may have missed "This is a debugging tool not an imaging tool". If you are trying to do photography, this is probably not the tool for you.

Many imaging programs like irfanview and photoshop will let you view or manipulate images like this, using something like open as raw. I'm sure imagemagick will as well. The version of Gimp I have does not appear to: It allows you to open raw image data, but not 16bpp.

I use 3336x2480 pixel dimension, this is correct?
Yes, those are the dimensions of the a590 sensor. It will refuse to convert unless the w*h*bpp/8 exactly matches the number of bytes in the image.

Don't forget what the H stands for.

Offline mngc

« Reply #707 on: 30 / October / 2009, 08:47:28 »

It's just width*height 16 bit integers, in native byte order (presumably little endian, or the conversion wouldn't work). You may have missed "This is a debugging tool not an imaging tool". If you are trying to do photography, this is probably not the tool for you.

This program ok for me, with know file structure very useful. I have some astro photography related problem. Now easy find the real pixel values, etc.

More complex problem, i find some color information in chdk, but not understand it, like "color matrix" values. Most popular program to process raw file to normal picture not useful for me. I like special astro photography (Iris) program, but i have color problem. Not only powershoot cameras, DSRL cameras too.
Iris have tool to correct white balance, but i think only linear gain exualizer. Gamma adjusment available (RGB), but i think not enoght. For example one jpeg image colors more better than one processed raw image with iris. 

Offline dvip

« Reply #708 on: 30 / October / 2009, 10:13:43 »
@whim, yes, I understarstand the point of having the
extra pixels. However, the one that reyalp posted works
great for me. I was looking for this for a long time, it will
be my chdk version for a long time, it cuts time on my
workflow. The bad thing is, no more upgrades for me :(
Unless you add GPS, radar detectors, and HD video using
ARM assembly to the A590IS lol :D
Thanks guys!

Offline dvip

« Reply #709 on: 30 / October / 2009, 10:25:38 »
@mngc,
You may want to try UFRaw http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/
Take a look at the White balance tab (Temperature and Chan. multipliers).
I hope this helps